Player Albert Vete

Expecting him to lock a starting spot. At least regularly on the bench. Will hopefully be his best season to date.

Reactions: 1 users

bruce

Contributor
This is the leanest I have ever seen him. Hopefully stays injury free and goes hard this season...
I have only seen your pics Welly but he looks leaner than when I last saw him in the flesh, and he was pretty fearsome then as well. If both he and Lisone can perform consistently this season this club is going somewhere for sure. My worry is that the guy has always looked the goods, and he can carry for sure, but is he just a flat track bully? I guess we will find out soon.

he's a hard runner when he goes at it full tilt...

He certainly was going a lot harder last season before he got hurt. Puts in good effort on D too. Hopefully he can remain injury free this season...

Reactions: 6 users

WarriorBall

Hope his days of backing into the tackle are behind him, if he can forget about setting up for the offload and just run hard and try for a quick play the ball that alone will be a huge improvement.

Reactions: 6 users
Always assuming Bam Libone doesn't have another sister who's getting married, eh, fellas? Tongue in danger of poking hole in cheek.

Vete certainly seemed to be, along with Gavet, one of our better forwards. In fact, to be honest, outside of Vete and Gavet, did anyone really perform?

Reactions: 1 user
My perception of Vete is that he is a smart guy who wants to get himself sorted with an education as much as he wants to be a league player, I think this has impacted his ability to be all he can be for the Warriors. In saying that he has still been good when he is fit. If the schooling becomes a hobby and the league his job i reckon he can be awesome.

bruce

Contributor
My perception of Vete is that he is a smart guy who wants to get himself sorted with an education as much as he wants to be a league player,
If that is the case then he shouldn't be signed, end of story. George Peponis, the great Bulldogs and Kangaroo hooker worked his way through medical school with his fees paid for by the club. He was still a standout on the field. Geoff Toovey qualified as an accountant while starring for Manly. This club signs too many people on potential rather than performance.

If that is the case then he shouldn't be signed, end of story. George Peponis, the great Bulldogs and Kangaroo hooker worked his way through medical school with his fees paid for by the club. He was still a standout on the field. Geoff Toovey qualified as an accountant while starring for Manly. This club signs too many people on potential rather than performance.
I don't get the impression that he isn't committed. He looked really eager to get stuck in this year after his stint in reserve grade and it was a shame about the injury.

Reactions: 3 users
Calm down.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Vete certainly seemed to be, along with Gavet, one of our better forwards. In fact, to be honest, outside of Vete and Gavet, did anyone really perform?
You surely can't be referring to last season? It was virtually a write off for Vete - he only played 8 games of which 2 he barely featured in.

bruce

Contributor
You surely can't be referring to last season? It was virtually a write off for Vete - he only played 8 games of which 2 he barely featured in.
Considering we had such a shite season he might have been one of the better forwards:D...just saying like.:rolleyes:. I got into a flame war with some poster over the yards Vete was making. I thought Vete was making good yards when he carried, the other poster differed. Whatever he did show glimpses of being a very good prop, no doubt about that. The NRL isn't about glimpses though, this isn't a strip tease show, we want the full monty.

Considering we had such a shite season he might have been one of the better forwards:D...just saying like.:rolleyes:. I got into a flame war with some poster over the yards Vete was making. I thought Vete was making good yards when he carried, the other poster differed. Whatever he did show glimpses of being a very good prop, no doubt about that. The NRL isn't about glimpses though, this isn't a strip tease show, we want the full monty.
Matulino was our best prop last year, then Gavet (when fit) followed by Lillyman. Vete wasn't in the picture - injury completely ruined his season. I think he will go a lot better in 2018.

Matulino was our best prop last year, then Gavet (when fit) followed by Lillyman. Vete wasn't in the picture - injury completely ruined his season. I think he will go a lot better in 2018.
you're right, Mutts was our best prop. But as soon as the shoulder charge was outlawed his impact on turning the game with 1 play was gone and he went back to being the introverted quiet achiever, whereas Gavet had much more influence in the tide of the game.
Looking ahead we all want someone to step up and bring that fierce dominance to our team and Vete does have the potential to be that guy, with the recruitment on and off the field for this season things are more optimistic..

Reactions: 4 users

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
vete-web.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Vete to continue career in Australia
Richard Becht & Photosport.nz
Fri 29 Jun 2018, 03:26 PM

Vodafone Warriors front rower Albert Vete has played his last game for the club after being granted a release today enabling him to continue his career in Australia.

The 25-year-old former Mate Ma’a Tonga international’s midseason move sees him end his Vodafone Warriors stint with 46 NRL appearances since his debut against Newcastle in round one in 2015.

“We really appreciate the contribution Albie has made to the club both on the field and off it,” said Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith.

“He was among a group of young players who came through the system in 2015 and finishes just short of the 50-game milestone. We wish Albie and his family all the best for the future.”

Vete joined the club from a rugby union background, captaining the St Kentigern College First XV to the Auckland secondary schools title in 2011.

He made 37 NYC appearances for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in 2012 and 2013 before joining the club’s wider NRL squad in 2014. As well as 46 NRL games, Vete made 45 appearances for the Vodafone Warriors in the Intrust Super Premiership.

He also made a key contribution off the field, especially through his support of the Harvey Norman Community Warriors’ CSG League in Libraries programme.

Fullback Zac Santo and hooker Manaia Cherrington, who joined the Vodafone Warriors on second tier contracts midway through last season, were released recently. Both have returned to Australia.

Cherrington played 22 times for the ISP team during his term in Auckland while Santo made 15 appearances.

ALBERT VETE

Date of Birth: January 24, 1993
Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
Junior Club: Mangere East Hawks
Position: Prop
Height: 1.88m
Weight: 112kg
Rep Honours: Two Tests for Tonga (2015), Junior Kiwis (2013)
Previous Clubs: Nil
NRL Debut: v Newcastle, Hunter Stadium, March 7, 2015 (Round 1)
NRL Career: 46 appearances (2015-2018)
NRL Points: 16 (4 tries)
ISP Career: 45 appearances for Vodafone Warriors (2014-2018)
ISP Points: 40 (10 tries)
NYC Career: 37 appearances (2012-2013)
NYC Points: 56 (14 tries)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/06/29/vete-to-continue-career-in-australia/