General 30 man roster to be reduced

wrighty

It will go down from 30 to either 26, as currently mooted or negotiated to 28.
Presently there are 6 development contracts. This is suggested to reduce to 4.

Fascinating article here https://thecumberlandthrow.com/2020/08/25/the-spotlight-reduced-nrl-squad-sizes/

Salary cap to be reduced accordingly by 5-10%

Let's discuss
1) How does this or should this change any nrl clubs recruitment strategy and intended roster balance
2) How could this play out at the Warriors

I think it suggests we might chase quality players to be depth players as all 26 can expect to play. In past years our depth players were punts on ISP stars coming good.

wrighty

I'll have a conversation with myself for the time being

Here is who we have signed for 2021 - 20 Kents total

Development contracts 2021
TurnerAleBerrySladeOgden

20 Kents total signed- Blair deciding

If they do only get 26 spots then all 26 will play so need to be experienced rather than picking youth prospects on minimum wage.

Tianasnow14

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 8, 2019

TurnerAleBerrySladeOgden

If they do only get 26 spots then all 26 will play so need to be experienced rather than picking youth prospects on minimum wage.
Wrighty do you know how much money we have left to spend for next year?

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
It will go down from 30 to either 26, as currently mooted or negotiated to 28.
Presently there are 6 development contracts. This is suggested to reduce to 4.

Fascinating article here https://thecumberlandthrow.com/2020/08/25/the-spotlight-reduced-nrl-squad-sizes/

Salary cap to be reduced accordingly by 5-10%

Let's discuss
1) How does this or should this change any nrl clubs recruitment strategy and intended roster balance
2) How could this play out at the Warriors

I think it suggests we might chase quality players to be depth players as all 26 can expect to play. In past years our depth players were punts on ISP stars coming good.
Cannot see it working without problems. Many clubs in the past have had to seek exemptions because they need players outside the 30 due to injury. This year the game has sped up, more contact, more injuries and more squad depth required - and it’s a shortened season. You can’t increase the injury toll while reducing the player pool. I do not think many teams will be able to have depth in all positions with a smaller squad.

Is the future a loan type scenario where there is a lower pool of players that get bought in when needed rather than paid full time? Exemptions are expected and always given?

Will the late season ring ins like with SBW or even Blake Green be more common - leave squad spaces open and fill gaps when you know your injury situation?

Interesting times...

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
This all does not seem right...how can clubs suddenly reduce their roster if they have player contracts in place?

Exactly, and every club is still talking about filling their top 30 for next year so can't see it happening. Wasn't one of the conditions of accepting reduced pay this year also the inability to reduce squad sizes and salary caps going forward?

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018

TurnerAleBerrySladeOgden

I think Bunty and Jackson Frei are on the books next year too

wrighty

This all does not seem right...how can clubs suddenly reduce their roster if they have player contracts in place?
By memory most if not all teams have only 26 to 27 spots sown up,

In a worst case perhaps the NRL expects a potentially cut player to be compensated to the value of their contract.

Reactions: bruce

wrighty

If my count is 20 is correct then we need to sign several more Kents just to get us to 26.
Possible options
1) Blair if he takes up options
2) Hiku
3) Proctor??
4) Keighran

Who else at least two additional names will need to come up...the new 21 year old winger we signed maybe?

Reactions: jonesy101

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013

TurnerAleBerrySladeOgden

I count 21 there.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Is this because the NRL spent all the sky money .
An next year's deal is looking to be reduced .?

An this is daft when you take in the new HIA rules an
Player stand downs recovery times .
It's not incentivising the clubs to be standing players down
For HIA .

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
If my count is 20 is correct then we need to sign several more Kents just to get us to 26.
Possible options
1) Blair if he takes up options
2) Hiku
3) Proctor??
4) Keighran

Who else at least two additional names will need to come up...the new 21 year old winger we signed maybe?
Junior Ratuva (the 21 year old winger) would definitely be in the top 26 (or 28-30) next year as well - they are really talking him up. Also Patrick Herbert is competing against Keighran and Hiku for a spot. At least one of them will have to miss out, possibly two if its cut by that much.

Last edited:

Ponyandtrap

U20's Player
Sep 21, 2019
Junior Ratuva (the 21 year old winger) would definitely be in the top 26 (or 28-30) next year as well - they are really talking him up. Also Patrick Herbert is competing against Keighran and Hiku for a spot. At least one of them will have to miss out, possibly two if its cut by that much.
Surely we keep Hiku, Herbert and Keighran would be tough, Herberts up and down while Keighran at least would offer Halves cover, tough choice.

And sorry whats a "Kents"?

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
If this is still being speculated is there a date it needs to be confirmed by?

Like any change to the cap or roster sizes the clubs would need time to prepare and adjust their recruitment.

It needs to be done as there will need to be cost savings to make up for getting through this year and revenue might take a hit over the next few years.

Reactions: Akkerz and bruce

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings