General 2023 NZ Warriors Preseason

Juno

Considering the regulars apart from internationals are back tomorrow it has been quiet on the news front up to today?

Tony Martin

Tony Martin

Well actually I believe that Richard Becht ( Warriors media man) is in England with the Kiwis.
I’ve heard it’s to do with the new training kit hasn’t arrived yet and don’t want photos of the old one. Unsure if this is a Puma balls up or maybe vodafone being difficult with there new logo

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Is that the new assistant coach from England?
No wonder he looks fimiliar. I just did a staff profile on him last month lol. Richard Agar...

Blain

Blain

Anthony Gelling back at the club?

He got pulled out of retirement to play for the Cooks in the WC recently. Retired from high level league 100%, but obviously still has a connection with the club.

I wonder if that training gear is a temp until official stuff arrives as mentioned above. Looks too basic for normal Warriors gear? Maybe I'm just reading too much into it. Love seeing the new boys around the club.

Reactions: Blackdot
Billyspleen75

Billyspleen75

He got pulled out of retirement to play for the Cooks in the WC recently. Retired from high level league 100%, but obviously still has a connection with the club.
Could it be on a reserve grade contract similar to what is rumored for Pat Sipley?

Blain

Blain

Could it be on a reserve grade contract similar to what is rumored for Pat Sipley?

From an article a couple weeks ago;

Having originally retired after the side’s mid-season clash with Samoa, Gelling has again officially hung up the boots to start a new job with the New Zealand Warriors and learning a new trade.

“That was my last game,” Gelling confirmed to Love Rugby League. “I retired back in June after the Samoa game, and this was a little last minute. But it’s good to get a couple games.”

Gelling reiterated Iro’s claims that he took some convincing to join the squad in England, joking: “I told him no every time!

“But my partner convinced me and said just go for it and once you’re retired, you’re retired.

“I kind of had some unfinished work here too about building culture and stuff like that, so some of us senior boys have come back for that.”

On life after league, he added: “I’m going to do some wellbeing stuff with New Zealand Warriors. I also have a plumber apprenticeship starting Monday, too.

“It’s good to be home back in New Zealand.”

mrblonde

mrblonde

And for probably the first time ever, the NRL Draw has been released on the first date the NRL said it would be released. Previously it was common for at least two or three "NRL Draw Will Be Relased On Such-and-Such Date" type messages, as stakeholders needed to be consulted and re-consulted etc etc.

NRL ranks our draw's hardness as 222 (maybe a sign that next year we won't need the men in white coats, we'll need the men in cream, bone, off-white, white, ivory, or beige coats)- ranked as 6th Hardest.

Onwards with the New, Improved, We Really, Truly, Like, Mean It This Time, Bruhs and Suhs, Hardest Pre-Season Ever!

• Haha
Reactions: RiceOwl and Juno

Juno

And for probably the first time ever, the NRL Draw has been released on the first date the NRL said it would be released. Previously it was common for at least two or three "NRL Draw Will Be Relased On Such-and-Such Date" type messages, as stakeholders needed to be consulted and re-consulted etc etc.

NRL ranks our draw's hardness as 222 (maybe a sign that next year we won't need the men in white coats, we'll need the men in cream, bone, off-white, white, ivory, or beige coats)- ranked as 6th Hardest.

Onwards with the New, Improved, We Really, Truly, Like, Mean It This Time, Bruhs and Suhs, Hardest Pre-Season Ever!
Hard's good, have to do the hard yards every season but I want this to be the best and cleverest pre-season. Not to mention the most fruitful!

TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

Bunch of photos posted to the Warriors Instagram story of training today, too many to post up honestly.

I’m starting to think that it was less a training kit thing or the socials team being out of office and more that the veteran players didn’t start training until today (I have heard somewhere that they usually return to training in waves, starting with rookies and ending with older veteran players/players that have been on rep duty)

Must say though, what they put out doesn’t exactly scream “toughest preseason ever” or defensively focused. Though if my theory is right it is probably day one back in office for a lot of them? idk

I’m excited none the less, I can feel the disappointment of 2022 melting away and the inevitable next year is our year building in my veins.. 😂

RiceOwl

RiceOwl

Have to say - by looking at the photos on Insta etc. I’m surprised by the number of players in the run on side that are already back training.

Sadly it probably shows that the majority of the squad wasn’t up to standard to make international sides for the WC but there could be a positive to that for the team.

Also Toby’s decision to turn down the WC and focus on a solid pre season will hopefully reap some benefits too