Recruitment 2023 NRL Collective Bargaining Agreement CBA

Christchurch_Warrior

Christchurch_Warrior

Contributor
"The Roosters unveiled their $10 million Centre of Excellence on Tuesday night, rightfully naming it after long-standing chairman Nick Politis. He had some zingers in his speech, too.

First, Politis mentioned how James Packer was on the board when he joined in 1993 but “we won’t talk about him too much because he crossed the line”. Packer is now part-owner of South Sydney.
He also pointed out how the club has a whopping $150 million of assets on its books, which is far more than the NRL. After sending his apologies for not attending, Andrew Abdo mysteriously arrived an hour late for the function."

Shows you were the real power lies in the NRL....

Up the guttz

Up the guttz

"The Roosters unveiled their $10 million Centre of Excellence on Tuesday night, rightfully naming it after long-standing chairman Nick Politis. He had some zingers in his speech, too.

First, Politis mentioned how James Packer was on the board when he joined in 1993 but “we won’t talk about him too much because he crossed the line”. Packer is now part-owner of South Sydney.
He also pointed out how the club has a whopping $150 million of assets on its books, which is far more than the NRL. After sending his apologies for not attending, Andrew Abdo mysteriously arrived an hour late for the function."

Shows you were the real power lies in the NRL....
Yep if a club has more money than the NRL then they are too powerful and can get away with anything

Defence

Defence

I was just listening to radio sport on my way home as I do and the presenters (Peter Tunks, graham Hugh’s etc) are hard behind the players (not surprising being ex players themselves) but I would say 90% of people who call in are against (not surprising being mostly average joes who would give their left nuts to be in the players position).
I don’t think the players have anywhere near the public support they think they do.
I do feel some of the anger towards the players is a bit over the top and if anything it should be directed at the players association which isn’t one and the same.
No doubt the nrl could’ve handled things better as well.
I do find it interesting that vlandys has brokered some massive deals in the past- in fact he’s renowned for it- he basically saved two sports and has managed to negotiate with both state and federal governments yet he can’t get the rlpa on side? Are they being to difficult?
I’m still confident something will be sorted before the start of season but it’s inching closer and closer…

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
They are reportedly expected to finalise the womens CBA today, and then look at the mens players issues surrounding the CBA which is expected to take a lot longer than just 2 days. Good luck to the players if they want to threaten a strike if a deal cannot be reached within 48 hours. We might have a chance of winning the comp if the NRL players strike and we get a bunch of misfits drafted throughout the NRL.

#MightyNZDucks

tr73

tr73

They are reportedly expected to finalise the womens CBA today, and then look at the mens players issues surrounding the CBA which is expected to take a lot longer than just 2 days. Good luck to the players if they want to threaten a strike if a deal cannot be reached within 48 hours. We might have a chance of winning the comp if the NRL players strike and we get a bunch of misfits drafted throughout the NRL.

#MightyNZDucks
The RLPA has been astute in marketing themselves as saying it’s not about money when it clearly is. Yes they are comfortable with a huge cap increase but they want a whole lot of benefits on top of this. The NRL cannot guarantee the future welfare and hood fortune of all players which through various provisions is what the players association want.
In 2020 the players were highly critical of the NRL for not having a suitable rainy day fund. They didn’t have one because they had tried to please everyone. They are trying to keep something aside now and are representing us as fans who are the investors and funders of the game.
We all love the game and admire what the players do but if they really believed in some of the provisions they are asking for I would like to see the top 10% of paid players forgoing some of their salaries to fund these for those less fortunate players.

Christchurch_Warrior

Christchurch_Warrior

Contributor
The RLPA has been astute in marketing themselves as saying it’s not about money when it clearly is. Yes they are comfortable with a huge cap increase but they want a whole lot of benefits on top of this. The NRL cannot guarantee the future welfare and hood fortune of all players which through various provisions is what the players association want.
In 2020 the players were highly critical of the NRL for not having a suitable rainy day fund. They didn’t have one because they had tried to please everyone. They are trying to keep something aside now and are representing us as fans who are the investors and funders of the game.
We all love the game and admire what the players do but if they really believed in some of the provisions they are asking for I would like to see the top 10% of paid players forgoing some of their salaries to fund these for those less fortunate players.
I think you will find is that they were complaining about the NRL not putting money into funds where they were meant to. They also complained about the fact that NRL head office spent $182 million in 2019.

Greenberg was on 1.2 million a year and even got $650,000 as a payout even when he quit with more than 6 months left on his contract. Does anyone even think he was worth that amount? I thought he was fairly useless. The current crop seem to want to run an entertainment business not a sports code.

The NRL should have sorted this months ago as it sounds like they never took the negotiations seriously. I think that the RLPA are asking for to much but you never go into a negotiation asking for the minimum that you want. The RLPA would then have gotten some of what but not everything as that is how negotiations work but you need to have both parties at the table for this to happen.

Very typical of modern corporation management now days. Ignore the workers and when it comes to crunch time blame the workers for wanting to much. Tell the public that it will cost more/they will be inconvenienced or whatever else will make the workers look bad.

tr73

tr73

I think you will find is that they were complaining about the NRL not putting money into funds where they were meant to. They also complained about the fact that NRL head office spent $182 million in 2019.

Greenberg was on 1.2 million a year and even got $650,000 as a payout even when he quit with more than 6 months left on his contract. Does anyone even think he was worth that amount? I thought he was fairly useless. The current crop seem to want to run an entertainment business not a sports code.

The NRL should have sorted this months ago as it sounds like they never took the negotiations seriously. I think that the RLPA are asking for to much but you never go into a negotiation asking for the minimum that you want. The RLPA would then have gotten some of what but not everything as that is how negotiations work but you need to have both parties at the table for this to happen.

Very typical of modern corporation management now days. Ignore the workers and when it comes to crunch time blame the workers for wanting to much. Tell the public that it will cost more/they will be inconvenienced or whatever else will make the workers look bad.
No fan of Greenburg.
In terms of a modern corporation if they were advertising for roles to be players I would suggest they would have more than 1 000 000 applications from people including myself who would happily do it for half a can of warm flat coke.
The NRL are always seen as the big bad guys. I am sure they would have a view of the RLPA leadership they wish they could share but that would not be socially acceptable.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Shhhhh 🤫🤫🤫. Dont let the truth get in the way of the narrative. The NRL HQ overspending is not whats in question here. The players are greedy. They get paid well over what we do and that's all that matters here...

Christchurch_Warrior

Christchurch_Warrior

Contributor
  • Angry
Reactions: Canonball
Canonball

Canonball

This doesn't sound good.

and this doesn't help
Idiots eh? The NRL don’t appear to have a well signaled chain of command, which comes across as dismissive in a negotiation setting - first thing declared usually, ie ‘you’ll be talking to this person who has this level authority to offer this much’ etc - the ‘why is this guy here?’ question just indicates again the unsure footing the whole process seems on

Mullayo

My take is Vlandy's in his typical high-handed way decided to not bother with the actual legal CBA negotiations, just announced the flashy upped budget and hoped he could browbeat everyone into submission and slide one past the goalie.

I suspect the sticky sticking points he desperately wants to avoid are the ongoing health care for HIAs which is a huge uber expensive can of worms.

His greatest accomplishment as an overlord would be to get a CBA through, avoiding even admitting that massive ongoing liability.

Also, Vlandys would naturally want to avoid the women's issues, which is also a nightmare as they are not paying for themselves as a product. Yet are seeking huge wage upgrades in a failing business.

IMO it's a ridiculous notion that they should be paid two years maternity leave. The average male NRL career is only 48 games (two seasons worth).

Marginal replacement-level talent, which in the women's game is currently 90% of players, could just get pregnant and retire. Sure, they have issues with part-time playing/work balance, but so did every male aspirant ever.

I think Vlandy's has cunningly set his stall out in the media at the nominal $12m amount.

The sneaky idea is he's set the ceiling and is going to subtract all these new demands from that total and expect the players group to cave when it starts to cost them personally from their own pockets.

It's utter rubbish, though, and the players are correct the CBA should be linked to the much larger league revenue. They are also right that the replacement level guys need looking after. And right that you need to stand up to a bully in what was supposed to be a negotiation, not a summary announcement.

Wrighty

Wrighty

Last Friday the players said 48 hours until we strike.
the 48 hours has come and gone. Hopefully because tangible progress is being made.

Canadian_WarriorFan

Canadian_WarriorFan

Last Friday the players said 48 hours until we strike.
the 48 hours has come and gone. Hopefully because tangible progress is being made.
I wonder what impact this will have on tomorrow night's game if nothing is sorted out.

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
RLPA have asked players to tape over the NRL logo, not do media commitments and delay kick-offs for the trials. It'll still go ahead.

Reactions: Worried2Death
Wrighty

Wrighty

The players have poor grammar and command of diction

"The players have chosen to put on hold further activations but continue to be ready"

The players chose to use the word activations in that sentence because they think big words are impressive, however it is the wrong word and renders the sentence incomprehensible unless you guess that they mean the word "actions" instead of "activations".
The players should hire some literate people to do their press releases.

• Haha
Reactions: Defence