Recruitment 2023/2024 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

TeetsNRL

TeetsNRL

We just have a over inflated sense of expectation. Which is worsened by the fact we are a one team nation. And the media can only take aim at one team when it ain't going well.

This is a great post mate, people won’t want to hear it but it’s true. Its pretty rare when the talent on the roster has actually met the level our media and fanbase always make it out to be every pre-season.

I’ll never forget a NZ Herald article comparing the Warriors to Manly and it claiming only a couple of their players would make our team. The sheer ridiculousness of that statement, about a team with the Stewart bros, Jamie Lyon, Anthony Watmough etc, lol.

Since95

Since95

This is a great post mate, people won’t want to hear it but it’s true. Its pretty rare when the talent on the roster has actually met the level our media and fanbase always make it out to be every pre-season.

I’ll never forget a NZ Herald article comparing the Warriors to Manly and it claiming only a couple of their players would make our team. The sheer ridiculousness of that statement, about a team with the Stewart bros, Jamie Lyon, Anthony Watmough etc, lol.
In every edition of warriors existence out expectations don't subside.

Probably stems from when we pushed the reigning prems in our first ever game it set the bar very high.

I vaguely remember that story. And thought to myself it could think of 5 off the bat.

We were at that stage (first game) yet to learn and in some respects probably still are learning the sport is highly professional. The games are the part we public see.

The lack of commitment, laid back attitude and focus required is where it always falls apart for us.

Payten highlighted it the year he left. And various of players mention the professionalism of the club. Campion in his edition with Monty spoke of the lack of it.

Stacey Jones spoke about it in his book, when Wiki and Price signed. They bring useful professionalism traits that are lost on the under performers of the Nrl.

Taukeiaho spoke of the lack of it when he joined roosters spoke of it when comparing the 2 clubs.

Webster sounds like he is addressing, so time will tell I can't wait 'til he names his first squad. Excited is a slight understatement!

Toookey

Toookey

Webster sounds like he is addressing, so time will tell I can't wait 'til he names his first squad. Excited is a slight understatement!

Webby could well be the man to change this. Would have seen what we were like when he was with us last time (what worked, what didn't with man management etc) but has also seen exactly how you want a team to be run professionally, commitment wise etc. with Penrith.

I really hope he's supported by management and is prepared to cull what is needed.

Also, so many of those players coming across nek year - Walker, Niukore, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Te Maire Martin have been to the big dance and know what is needed to get there - I really really hope we can shed that unprofessional tag and everyone gets on board. Hardest pre season ever!

Defence

Defence

Hodges said in a radio interview we expect to use Walkers versatility to fill in where needed, and Walker understood that when we signed him. No link but probably on SENZ
So where is it needed? that statement leaves it wide open.
The re-signing of jazz means we're flush for utilities and locks.
Look I'm not even a supporter of walker returning to center but the way things are unfolding its looking more and more likely.

Ref

Ref

Look I'm not even a supporter of walker returning to center but the way things are unfolding its looking more and more likely.

Ref

Ref

I would have thought he was primarily signed to be a permanent 14 and arguably currently the best in the game at that role. Don’t take your best player away from his most effectively position.

Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Don't Warri Be Happy
Contributor
I don't have any contacts at the Warriors. I can only tell you what I heard and pass opinion.

I agree with you about centre. That seems to be where he is needed. I also agree that may no longer be his best position.
He may also take the 14 if Jazz is starting or injured.

I don't know where that leaves Sironen.

I think our squad has some big holes in it. The new coach has his work cut out piecing it all together.

Reactions: Defence
Paulo24

Paulo24

Walker does bring a bit of X factor, he’s not the best defensive centre nor the fastest. He’s just intense and a bit unorthodox. I lean toward centre because that’s where I see his biggest contribution to our team and he would be our best centre since Hiku. I would probably see his contribution at the Hiku level. I feel his energy in the middle may be wasted as we haven’t had the support runners through the middle that makes him a threat to the line. So Walker to centre for mine, but it will be what it will be.

Five&Last

Five&Last

one year development deal according to him

Yup you are correct but haven't seen it official anywhere like with Laban and Sifakula.

I often think people confuse one of the four official development contracts with the general word 'development' (as in signing to develop with the club) if that makes sense.

I personally would've only signed him on a train and trial, and have him fight out with Maiuu, Leiataua for the final two development contracts. I think his size is too much of a limiting factor.

geepee

Yup you are correct but haven't seen it official anywhere like with Laban and Sifakula.

I often think people confuse one of the four official development contracts with the general word 'development' (as in signing to develop with the club) if that makes sense.

I personally would've only signed him on a train and trial, and have him fight out with Maiuu, Leiataua for the final two development contracts. I think his size is too much of a limiting factor.
technically it what they call a play that can't fit into age groups but not in the 30 he wouldn't be at the club after the train n trail if he did it that way as they would need have there 30 for cup side sorted

Noitall

Noitall

Asi to Eels is interesting - you think they're starting to plan for life after Moses and/or Dylan?

Maybe a dirty trade is on the cards
There could definitely be more to this since it’s a two year deal. He was at the broncos training so they’re saying he either didn’t impress or he’s had a better deal, the latter obviously.

Reactions: Toookey and Cces