Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Wrighty

Wrighty

Bear with me while I share an additional point on Metcalf.
Sharks according to their forum have only 27 instead of the required 29 by start of season.
This could be the most compelling reason to they are keeping Luke. They need him as a competent depth player for their 30.
This reinforces previous conversations that if we want him for 2022 we will need to offer a swap or maybe even a two for one swap.

To address my own question, there is a real chance Sharks will keep Metcalf next year for injury depth. Unless they promote players from their juniors or sign more peeps.
Any signing the Sharks do is of interest to the warriors.

Reactions: 4 users

Wheels

$1.80 for all 3 because no one has a fxxking clue!
Although I have been critical of Kodi for his efforts in the 2nd half of last season, especially the last 4 or 5 games when he was woeful. I still recognize that he can be a very dangerous player with ball in hand & with his confidence back! And with Johnson being the now converted controlling type of player Kodi might be his best partner. However if Taylor is fit and not injury prone and plays near his best he will be another dangerous play maker (2 on the same team - Wow!). My odds therefore are: Kodi $1.75; Taylor $1.80; and Chanel Harris-Tavita $$2.25.

Reactions: 11 users
Noitall

Noitall

Zero tackle site picking us to be the landing spot for Martin Taupau. Aaron Pene might have something to say about that, even Bunty.

Born in Auckland, a return to the Warriors would be an incredible way for Taupau to end his NRL career.

The Warriors, for all their talent, lack a bench prop that will have opposition teams looking over their shoulder.

Truthfully he would probably have to be willing to accept a bench role given the Matt Lodgeand Addin Fonua-Blake run-on partnership, but to move home, may be well worth it.

The Warriors have shown they are willing to sign players at the back-end of their careers, especially for local players, so this makes sense.

Verdict
There's usually an obvious, standout option on these lists, but here I don't see one. I see two.

Warriors or Dolphins.

Wayne Bennett and the Fins are going to need some experienced pinch hitters to ensure they can do from round one, 2023.

The Warriors need an aggressive bench option and (Covid allowing) present Taupau with a brilliant opportunity for a swansong back home, if he chooses.

Either option would make the world of sense, but as if I had to put money on today - Warriors.

Reactions: 2 users
Cces

Cces

The Warriors need an aggressive bench option and (Covid allowing) present Taupau with a brilliant opportunity for a swansong back home, if he chooses.

Either option would make the world of sense, but as if I had to put money on today - Warriors.
The "home" line is often used incorrectly when talking about Kiwis reps. Taupau's family moved to Australia almost 22 years ago. He has an Australian wife, 6 Australian born kids & runs a business (https://thedisrupters.com.au/about/) out of Sydney. Rather than moving home he'd actually be moving his home if he relocated to Auckland.

Reactions: 19 users
Defence

Defence

Love Taupau erhouse but he’s on his last legs.
So frustrating we can’t develop our own props- we’re nz land of the giants ffs.
How many monsters do we have running round the footy fields of nz? Both codes.
Hopefully these twins can kick on.

Reactions: 19 users
Five&Last

Five&Last

So frustrating we can’t develop our own props- we’re nz land of the giants ffs.
How many monsters do we have running round the footy fields of nz? Both codes.
Hopefully these twins can kick on.
And Lleyton Finau. I have a feeling we’re going to be relying on them before they’re ready when Lodge leaves.

Reactions: 1 user
Noitall

Noitall

Lol zero tackle
Was a fairly nothing article that didn’t appear to have any inside scoop. Was top landing spots for Taupau which were staying with manly, super league, dragons, dolphins and Warriors. Guess we won’t know until the season gets going and who doesn’t re sign but I wonder what position they’ll look to strengthen along with Metcalf and Niukore next year, or perhaps pick a player up during this season like the previous.

Cces

Cces

got to rememember tpow is a ainti vaxxer thats why hes not found home yet
That's highly unlikely
FB IMG 1642152295586

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Cces

Cces

I’m pretty sure Tapau has come out against vaccines in the past, but I’m not sure whether it’s still an issue.
From a quick search it shows he was apprehensive about getting the flu jab in 2020, because of a previous reaction, but got it all the same. geepee claiming he's an anti vaxxer seems like he's blown that out of proportion

• Sad
bangbros18

bangbros18

And Lleyton Finau. I have a feeling we’re going to be relying on them before they’re ready when Lodge leaves.
Reading Dan Nichols, a writer for Zero Tackle saying nz warriors in his opinion are a landing spot for Martin Taupau. I'm not a fan of that, but if Lodge was to pack his bags and follow his daddy in law it might not be a bad signing?

Reactions: 1 users
Blain

Blain

He won't be coming here guys. He'll stay in Australia, the Sharks or Rabbitohs are short a prop or 2 off the top of my head. Potentially the Tigers too. He's being overpaid currently, so can see him going down all avenues to get a good deal somewhere local.

I agree around developing a local product, we have tried so many times in the past with no success. Hopefully with Addin Fonua-Blake as the pack leader, we can put a couple guys under him to learn the trade over the next couple seasons to take over Lodge. Here's hoping Pene and Afoa show us starting potential in the meantime.

Reactions: 4 users
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content. Please use another thread if your post content does not adhere to the above.

All offtopic chatter will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.

Zero tolerance to the above. Thank you to the majority who stay on topic on this thread.