Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
The most depressing part of this that we must have a large chunk of change still available under the cap for next year (and beyond probably), but no real first graders or upper echelon players want to come and get it!
$1.2m apparently. Before the arthars signing

• Wow
Reactions: Toookey and Fonzie

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
If you dont use all your cap in a year can you use that towards contracts next year?
That gets tossed around on this thread but it’s a load of shit that idk who came up with

Otherwise teams would just bottom out salary wise to have a title shot the following year with a stacked roster that’s been paid for in prior years.

They talked a while ago on the Matty Johns podcast about how the NRL doesn’t register contracts that change more than 10% year to year. It was brought in after the Dogs fucked their cap up with back ended contracts. So the NRL would definately not be okay with teams front loading contracts just because they are way under the cap.

They talked in the news about the Warriors doing it (may have been a different team?) but my impression it was only small amounts being paid early (hence not breaking the 10% rule.

Bottom line is if you don’t use your cap space, it’s gone

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
The most depressing part of this that we must have a large chunk of change still available under the cap for next year (and beyond probably), but no real first graders or upper echelon players want to come and get it!
I think this might be why we are spending up now, we had a stack of money tucked away for Manu and now we have to spend to be compliant it hence the commitment of CHT + Egan early and some other buys. Probably doesn't stack up but its still my theory.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
If you dont use all your cap in a year can you use that towards contracts next year?
My understanding the clubs need to spend at least 90% of the cap each year.

I'm not across the ins and out on what they do if they have large amount left over like we may do. I believe that's when clubs front load some contracts like we were talking of doing when they struggled to replace Johnson a few years ago.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
My understanding the clubs need to spend at least 90% of the cap each year.
If TM’s calculation is correct at 1.2 million then we’d be very close to 90% given the Cap is $10M for 2022.

Assuming Ash Taylor is added to the roster on minimum wage (120k) for next season I think we’d be nudging the 8.9M+ mark, a bit of tinkering and we’ll be sweet for the 90% threshold which I believe is enforced by the Nrl.

Of course ideally you want to be utilizing all of your Salary Cap by March next year. I guess we’re either waiting for another Addin Fonua-Blake to fall out of the sky or we’re pursuing these new signings for 2022 as someone suggested.

Reactions: snake77 and Toookey

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
If TM’s calculation is correct at 1.2 million then we’d be very close to 90% given the Cap is $10M for 2022.

Assuming Ash Taylor is added to the roster on minimum wage (120k) for next season I think we’d be nudging the 8.9M mark, a bit of tinkering and we’ll be sweet for the 90% threshold which I believe is enforced by the Nrl.

Of course ideally you want to be utilizing all of your Salary Cap by March next year. I guess we’re either waiting for another Addin Fonua-Blake to fall out of the sky or we’re pursuing these new signings for 2022 as someone suggested.
You can also pay players in advance within limited tolerances to free up a bit of space for the next year

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
This is where we’re gonna miss POS. He would probably have the dominos lined up for someone to fall into place mid season. But like Addin Fonua-Blake or Walsh or Dallin Watene-Zelezniak. But I don’t think we have that type of forward planning anymore

... Just because POS is gone? I think you are under estimating the club. That money will be there for another Addin Fonua-Blake, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Walsh, or Niukore, Metcalf. We have to spend it, and just because POS is gone doesn't mean we are going to neglect recruitment altogether.. Those signings were chance. POS is known for scouting/uncovering talent more than recruiting NRL players.

Barty

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2020
I have been reading the comments around the salary cap (thanks to the members for upskilling me) around forward/back ended deals and what can/can not be done. Given it appears we have significant cap availability in 2022. Would it not be better to pay Parramatta and Sharks some money to get MN and LM here earlier??? If we aren't going to get any (attract) other players, does it really matter, if we give them some coin or not, if we can't spend it on players we are no better off. Just a thought as I think about making the 2022 squad as competitive as possible.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
This is where we’re gonna miss POS. He would probably have the dominos lined up for someone to fall into place mid season. But like Addin Fonua-Blake or Walsh or Dallin Watene-Zelezniak. But I don’t think we have that type of forward planning anymore

Brown did very similar moves for Klemmer and Pearce at Newcastle as we did for Addin Fonua-Blake. The Walsh move was very similar to what he did to get Ponga to Newcastle as well. He likes to have some money free so he can make a move for a disgruntled star.

I think Browns role in recruitment has been underestimated in here, his coaching ability hasn’t been proven, but if he fails he’s at least going to leave a decent roster for a new coach to come in to.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I have been reading the comments around the salary cap (thanks to the members for upskilling me) around forward/back ended deals and what can/can not be done. Given it appears we have significant cap availability in 2022. Would it not be better to pay Parramatta and Sharks some money to get MN and LM here earlier??? If we aren't going to get any (attract) other players, does it really matter, if we give them some coin or not, if we can't spend it on players we are no better off. Just a thought as I think about making the 2022 squad as competitive as possible.
Are you talking about a transfer fee? They are counted against the cap as well. Often they are not really valued either e.g. eels would rather have Nuikore coming off the bench in the last year of his deal than receiving $300k cash.

Barty

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2020
Are you talking about a transfer fee? They are counted against the cap as well. Often they are not really valued either e.g. eels would rather have Nuikore coming off the bench in the last year of his deal than receiving $300k cash.
I am okay with paying a transfer fee. My rational is if we have no chance of spending the money ie. getting other players for 2022, then why not go really hard after the ones signed for 2023. I understand what you are saying about Parramatta preferring to have Nuikore on the bench, but given their well documented cap issues, I would've thought there was a creative way of getting Nuikore earlier, and maybe they have more of a chance to retain Paulo??

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Feb 22, 2016
Hooker Wayde Egan has extended his time with the Vodafone Warriors after signing a new two-year contract until the end of the 2024 NRL season.

“We’re really excited to have Wayde with us for a further two years,” said Vodafone Warriors general manager of football Craig Hodges.

“He impressed throughout the season giving us real consistency with his work at hooker. We like what he brings to the squad and to the club as a whole with his work ethic as well as his attitude off the field where he has a passion for community causes.”

Egan appeared in 20 of the Vodafone Warriors’ 24 games in 2021 scoring three tries while averaging almost 69 minutes a game and making a team-high 818 tackles (averaging almost 41 per game).

The former Penrith hooker was among the four nominees for the club’s prestigious Simon Mannering Medal alongside Addin Fonua-Blake, Euan Aitken and award winner Tohu Harris.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content. Please use another thread if your post content does not adhere to the above.

All offtopic chatter will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.

Zero tolerance to the above. Thank you to the majority who stay on topic on this thread.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings