Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Waipiro

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 17, 2021
Tauranga, NZ
The Arthurs signing has a ‘let’s see how he goes’ and maybe we will extend and take his 23 contact too.
Broncs obviously don’t see him as a key member of their extended squad this season.
Yeah obviously down the pecking order for them. Could be a chance for them to open another top 30 spot to build depth in other positions for the year. Maybe give Te Maire (or another Train and Trial guy) a year to show his worth then weigh up who to keep in 2023.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Signing a loan player for 12 months tells me one of two things a) either the cupboard is practically bare in the player market for suitably experienced outside backs *we‘re all aware of the Union player we‘re apparently chasing or b) Our new recruitment officer isn’t resourceful enough to source a more suitable Nrl player on a standard contract.

Prepared to give Hodges the benefit of the doubt here, it’s a tight market as the Dolphins are finding. What the Arthars loan deal offers is fairly scant competition for Berry & Vailea to have a real dig in 2022 and cement their positions which could also be part of the thinking with a this short term loan deal.

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
like most of you, i have my doubts on the signing. The main concern is that we are agreeing to develop another teams player for a year. sure, there is some benefit to the team but surely we could find somebody out there that we can develop as our own. Maybe there is the slight possibility that if we like him we can sign him but just doesn't make sense after the Bronx recently resigned him.

Im guessing Walshy was the connection there in getting Arthars over more than Craig Hodges. we seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrell in terms of our own development. I know he has had some experience but 29 games? wouldnt have been much different to finding our own hidden gems in the Q cup or NSW cup.

I accept it and don't hate the idea as Arthars is a decent player but i feel this couldn't have been the last resort?

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
What happens if the Broncos gave major outside back injuries, can they pull Arthars back
Probably yes just like we recalled JTB

Lads question for you
If they can recall Arthars then whose 30 does he count towards ?
What happened with our past loan players ?
I mean he won’t be contracted to us. Why should he be a part of our 30?

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
I would have thought that this is a fixed term loan, meaning he is ours in 2022 regardless. Loan players would have had exemptions for the top 30 player list during the darkest of Covid times. I'd imagine the Broncos need the certainty of a free spot.

As Jagged said, we have obviously decided there is no one worth going in on for next year and we'll try again for 2023.

Peewee

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 20, 2020
Probably yes just like we recalled JTB

Lads question for you
If they can recall Arthars then whose 30 does he count towards ?
What happened with our past loan players ?
I mean he won’t be contracted to us. Why should he be a part of our 30?
He WILL be a Warrior for 2022

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
I like the Arthars signing based on the need for another Centre who plays on the righthand side. Pompey, Aitken & Vailea (based on Q Cup) are better on the left edge. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (1W-8L as a Centre & the only W back in '15) & Montoya (0 try assists & 3 line breaks from 23 games in the position) should solely play as Wingers. Berry will require a lot of assistance in 2022 & that's what Arthars will provide.
Could also suit up in the #1 to begin the season until Walsh's return

Last edited:

WarriorDave

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 13, 2021

NRL: 'It was like my first day of school' - Shaun Johnson on emotional Warriors return, personal growth and having to leave his family​

30 Nov, 2021 06:00 PM4 minutes to read
Shaun Johnson is looking forward to his second chapter at the Warriors. Photo / Getty Images

Shaun Johnson is looking forward to his second chapter at the Warriors. Photo / Getty Images

Michael Burgess

By: Michael Burgess
Sports writer for NZME
@mikeburgess99
Shaun Johnson admits he has some unfinished business at the Warriors, though redemption wasn't a driving force behind his return.

The halfback left the club in dramatic circumstances in November 2018, after the Warriors hierarchy had publicly questioned his ongoing value and ability to deliver.

It was shoddy treatment of a senior player and led to a relationship breakdown, which eventually resulted in Johnson seeking an early release to link with Cronulla.
At the time it seemed unlikely that Johnson would ever play for his hometown club again but he is back, in something of a Boy's Own return.
His transfer has captured the imagination and Johnson, while stressing that he won't be looking back, will enjoy a second chapter.
"There are certain elements to that I can agree with," said Johnson, when asked if he had unfinished business with the Warriors. "Like how I left and not really being able to say goodbye the way I would have wanted to, to the playing group, the staff and the fans.
"But I'm not coming back to seek any sort of closure. I'm coming back because I truly believe that we can do something special with the group that's assembled here and this is the best place for me to be at this point in my career."

Stay ahead of the game​

Get the day's sports headlines straight to your inbox.

By signing up for this newsletter, you agree to NZME’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Shaun Johnson isn't looking back. Photo / Photosport
Shaun Johnson isn't looking back. Photo / Photosport
While Johnson tried to downplay the sentimental aspect of his return, it has been emotional. After spending two weeks in isolation in Brisbane, the reality that he was a Warrior again hit home on Monday.

"I got my kit bag in the car and I left quarantine," said Johnson. "And the first thing I did was I went home and tried my kit on and looked in the mirror.
"It was like my first day of school. It was a bit of disbelief that I was actually back, being able to wear this kit again."

Related articles​

Sport

The next Warriors captain? Senior leader puts his hand up

28 Nov, 2021 11:55 AMQuick Read
Sport

Change of heart: Warriors star's new deal adds more intrigue to 2022 picture

18 Nov, 2021 05:00 PMQuick Read
Sport

'Terrific young talent': Warriors land second signing of NRL transfer window

15 Nov, 2021 01:20 PMQuick Read
Sport

Warriors legend returns: Stacey Jones on new role, coaching and future aspirations

15 Nov, 2021 05:30 PMQuick Read
That feeling extended to Tuesday, when he trained for the first time with his new teammates at the Warriors' base in Redcliffe.
"I got up and spoke to the boys and I got a little choked up," said Johnson. "Just thinking about the journey I've been on and then just ending up right back here."
But beyond the emotion, Johnson is focused.
He believes the club has a good platform to launch and wants to play a big part, while getting the best out of the players around him, which starts in pre-season.
"I'm not trying to promise anything or speed anything up but I know the success you will see, throughout next season, it starts right now for us."
Johnson feels he has changed significantly since he was last at the Warriors, after three seasons with the Sharks.

"Mentally I've grown in leaps and bounds," said Johnson. "The application I've put into the mental side of the game and understanding what my best performance looks like.
"That's probably the biggest gain I've had. Physically I've had my struggles at times, but mentally my application, detail and understanding of what winning football looks like is pretty clear."
Shaun Johnson in action for the Warriors in 2018. Photo / Photosport
Shaun Johnson in action for the Warriors in 2018. Photo / Photosport
While his excitement is clear, the most challenging aspect of Johnson's return is leaving wife Kayla and daughter Millah back in Auckland.
"It was by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do," said Johnson. "It wasn't a nice feeling. But this is just the cards that not just us, but a lot of people have been dealt in this current climate.
"When I signed it was with the intentions of us being based in New Zealand, but things have unfolded the way they've unfolded and we've all I guess, reacted and responded accordingly."
Johnson is immensely proud of his former Silver Fern wife, who plans to return to elite level netball next season, after taking time away to start a family.
"It's bittersweet me leaving because the reason they can't come is for Kayla's career. That's the sole reason that they're not here right now and I'm fully supportive of that," said Johnson.
"It's the silver lining in this. You miss your family. I miss my little girl. But knowing Millah is going to watch her mom play and be in the stands and get to go out on the court after a game ... it's all these little things that add up to making this whole sacrifice worth it."

Waipiro

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 17, 2021
Tauranga, NZ
Broncos wanted to open up a 2022 roster slot, we didn't want to commit to anyone for more than a year.

Does this mean we have someone targeted for 2023 or we're just buying a bit more leeway for the young guys to develop?
Could just because we have a lot of cap space already pre-spent with Metcalf and Niukore in 2023 as well. In saying that I wouldnt be surprised if we kept Arthurs in 2023....almost a try before you buy scenario.

Waipiro

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 17, 2021
Tauranga, NZ
like most of you, i have my doubts on the signing. The main concern is that we are agreeing to develop another teams player for a year. sure, there is some benefit to the team but surely we could find somebody out there that we can develop as our own. Maybe there is the slight possibility that if we like him we can sign him but just doesn't make sense after the Bronx recently resigned him.

Im guessing Walshy was the connection there in getting Arthars over more than Craig Hodges. we seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrell in terms of our own development. I know he has had some experience but 29 games? wouldnt have been much different to finding our own hidden gems in the Q cup or NSW cup.

I accept it and don't hate the idea as Arthars is a decent player but i feel this couldn't have been the last resort?
It sounds like the sticking point for many of us is the loan agreement part......I know for me if we said we had signed Arthurs straight up I would be pretty happy with that signing given what wings/centres are still on the market for a move in 2022. Not out of the realms of possibility he stays with us after 2022 i reckon

Reactions: Worried2Death

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Could just because we have a lot of cap space already pre-spent with Metcalf and Niukore in 2023 as well. In saying that I wouldnt be surprised if we kept Arthurs in 2023....almost a try before you buy scenario.
If you’re the broncos and he plays well next year, why would you not be requesting him back for 2023.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018

Anything is possible, but I doubt that's the Broncos plan.

Even though he's from NZ originally I don't think this deal would be happening if we were based in NZ. Us being in QLD provides less disruption for him to switch for a year.

Broncos have a lot of outside backs, but after next year they'll be moving on from Oates, Isaako and Mead will likely retire. Slotting in Arthars with an extra season of experience makes sense for them.

Waipiro

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 17, 2021
Tauranga, NZ
If you’re the broncos and he plays well next year, why would you not be requesting him back.
Depends how well he plays i suppose. He is going to have to go extra special in 22 to pass Staggs and Farnsworth in the pecking order. Then there is still Niu, Oates, Isako, Peirera and Cobbo to get past.
I think they have made it a year because 2 or 3 of those outside backs are off contract after 2022 and he is being kept in the back pocket in case they leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: francis

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Depends how well he plays i suppose. He is going to have to go extra special in 22 to pass Staggs and Farnsworth in the pecking order. Then there is still Niu, Oates, Isako, Peirera and Cobbo to get past.
I think they have made it a year because 2 or 3 of those outside backs are off contract after 2022 and he is being kept in the back pocket in case they leave.
Yeah i don't think it matters who he's behind.

Its a low risk, low reward play for us.

He gets season ending injury or his form turns to shit, then we can force him back to the Broncos at the end of next year and he becomes their problem as he's under contract with them for 2023.

Alternatively, he plays amazingly, then the Broncos have every right to call him back into the squad for 2023 (even as depth) because he's under contract with them.

Im not fully against it at all given we've left it pretty late in the piece and theres probably zero options available.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content. Please use another thread if your post content does not adhere to the above.

All offtopic chatter will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.

Zero tolerance to the above. Thank you to the majority who stay on topic on this thread.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings