Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
When aloiai told them he wanted out and wouldn’t play for them again the tigers said they would make him stay and mow the lawns.
Nek minute manly.
True, however Tigers hadn’t let players go to sign him, plus we’re talking about an elite forward - whereas Aloiai was just a solid first grader. Who knows, I’m still holding out a bit of hope that somehow Ice ends up back with us next season, however based on what I’m reading it looks unlikely to me.

True, however Tigers hadn’t let players go to sign him, plus we’re talking about an elite forward - whereas Aloiai was just a solid first grader. Who knows, I’m still holding out a bit of hope that somehow Ice ends up back with us next season, however based on what I’m reading it looks unlikely to me.
Fair enough.
So why do u think he doesn’t just say he’s committed to the tigers then?

Fair enough.
So why do u think he doesn’t just say he’s committed to the tigers then?
Yeah agree with Beastmode, what he wants to happen and what will happen aren’t prob going to be the same. He’s obviously pissed the Tigers axed Madge, also likely sees the contract as undervaluing him. So he’s going to a shit team on unders - poor effort from the manager there. However perhaps he’s trying to scare the Tigers into offering him more to lock in the move, make it sound like he’s waivering to force an upgrade to the contract.

Yeah agree with Beastmode, what he wants to happen and what will happen aren’t prob going to be the same. He’s obviously pissed the Tigers axed Madge, also likely sees the contract as undervaluing him. So he’s going to a shit team on unders - poor effort from the manager there. However perhaps he’s trying to scare the Tigers into offering him more to lock in the move, make it sound like he’s waivering to force an upgrade to the contract.
No way tigers offer him more money.
They’re more likely to release him than give him a pay rise.

Nah I could def see a situation similar to Gordon Tallis 1996 play out - Ice returns to NZ but Tigers don’t let him play. Or alternatively SBW 2008 where he has to pay out his contract. Tigers can enforce the contract one way or the other if they choose to. Not every teams a push over like the Warriors.

Thinking about it, what happens in that scenario? Do the Tigers have to leave 600k in their salary cap open and a spot open in case he changes his mind and plays for the Tigers

The scenario doesn’t happen too often where the club dig their heels in for a player who doesn’t want to be there.

Reactions: Defence and bruce
Thinking about it, what happens in that scenario? Do the Tigers have to leave 600k in their salary cap open and a spot open in case he changes his mind and plays for the Tigers

The scenario doesn’t happen too often where the club dig their heels in for a player who doesn’t want to be there.
Yeah that’s my understanding, it still counts towards their cap & squad numbers. The whole thing is quite strange.

Here’s an interesting quote to consider -

“I respect all the people and supporters involved with this club and I intend to honour this contract”.

That was from Ivan Cleary in August 2018 confirming he would see out the last 2 years of his contract at the Tigers… he ended up paying the Tigers $250k to break contract & rejoin the Panthers.

Here’s an interesting quote to consider -

“I respect all the people and supporters involved with this club and I intend to honour this contract”.

That was from Ivan Cleary in August 2018 confirming he would see out the last 2 years of his contract at the Tigers… he ended up paying the Tigers $250k to break contract & rejoin the Panthers.
See for me that would’ve been a massive red flag.
If cleary was staying with the tigers he would’ve just come out and said- I’m staying and that’s that- none of this “I intend to” bizo.
Ice could’ve put this to bed anytime he wanted- dally Ms the perfect opportunity.
Something’s up.

See for me that would’ve been a massive red flag.
If cleary was staying with the tigers he would’ve just come out and said- I’m staying and that’s that- none of this “I intend to” bizo.
Ice could’ve put this to bed anytime he wanted- dally Ms the perfect opportunity.
Something’s up.
I’d still put it at 90% likelihood he plays for the Tigers in 2023. Not completely ruling out something else, however I feel there’s a lot of confirmation bias in how some of you guys are interpreting it all. As I said previously, hope I’m wrong because I’d love him back playing for us.

I’d still put it at 90% likelihood he plays for the Tigers in 2023. Not completely ruling out something else, however I feel there’s a lot of confirmation bias in how some of you guys are interpreting it all. As I said previously, hope I’m wrong because I’d love him back playing for us.

I'm not quite 90% sure he's coming here, but I would be surprised if he lines up for the Tigers for 2023 with zero further fuss.
He's been asked at least 3 times in the last 2 weeks if he's going there and he hasn't confirmed, one time even seemingly mocking th situation by not blinking when asked to blink if he was going to the Tigers.
Also the fluff pieces about him and his partner doing it tough long distance wise. Very curious timing wise.

If he plays for the Tigers nek year there will be a lot of water to pass under that bridge before he arrives there. He's really shot himself in the foot if he is going to play there tho, they're fan base is fuming at him

I like that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck just put out short note on his IG saying he’s signed with the AB’s until end of 2023 - end of story. Puts it to bed straight away. Ice has had many chances to do this but hasn’t and I assume it’s cause he doesn’t want to say “yeah I signed with the tigers so that’s where I’m going” then two week latter he signed somewhere else.

I just can’t believe he signed with them so early on an offer that’s not overs. Crazy decision!!!!

Mr Frank White

Contributor
I think a lot of the issue is that if a kid gets picked up at a young age here in nz is that alot of parent springboard off of their kids talent and in some not all cases move the family to aus. Since moving home from aus I’m beginning to see how difficult it is for alot of Māori and pacific families here. With lack of access to land and housing a growing wealth gap and a family that is dependant on wages to sustain a family. Moving to a Melbourne or Brisbane to see your son developed with secured contracts while mum and dad are landed with steady jobs and can’t get a land and house package for a decent price in new growing development areas it just is telling you to move. It’s not just a warriors issue but a nz issue. This is possibly part of the problem.
Thank god someone else came out and said it.

Mr Frank White

Contributor
1. Fuck the Tigers. Bring Paps home. How many times have we been screwed? Propped the comp for two years, how many home games we get?

2. People talk about the old Ice coming back.. Did the old Ice make Dally M? Play with a GF team? Play finals footy? Play a GF? If not, how can he be the same player?

Last edited:
Hmm Ford has always seemed a solid NRL prospect. I assume he's taken Murchies spot, pretty sure he turned down our offer to stay in Aussie.

He's OK for a 25-30 roster spot.
Everyone says this about fringe first graders we sign. Look at our roster construction. It’s very below average signing. He needs minutes to improve and he’s just going to be stuck behind the million second rowers we have and then eventually get released to go play super league

Status
Not open for further replies.