Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of the time not everyone is fit & available but for arguements sake if next season our full strength backrow might look something like:

11 Barnett
12 Curran
13 Niukore

14 Walker
17 Ale

And our NSW Cup something like:
11 Ford
12 Ben Murdoch-Masila
13 Jazz

17 Sironen

Where does that leave Laban, Maiu'u & Sifakula? Overpowering blokes in U21's for another year isn't a great development strategy.

Last edited:
90% of the time not everyone is fit & available but for arguements sake next season our full strength backrow will look something like:

11 Barnett
12 Curran
13 Niukore

14 Walker
17 Ale

And our NSW Cup something like:
11 Ford
12 Ben Murdoch-Masila
13 Jazz

17 Sironen

Where does that leave Laban, Maiu'u & Sifakula? Overpowering blokes in U21's for another year isn't a great development strategy.
cup side none of them are ready 4 top 30

Reactions: ramps
Dally m awards…

I actually think everything is falling into place with ice.
Still won’t commit to the tigers- I mean he knows what he’s doing- if he was he would just say so.
Arthur confirms he’s not staying at the eels (although I think that’s an old interview anyway?).
Couple of fluff pieces come out in the media this week about not seeing his misses and her making the silver fern’s-seemingly paving the way for a compassionate release….
My moneys on him coming home.

Dally m awards…

Still won’t commit to the tigers- I mean he knows what he’s doing- if he was he would just say so.
Arthur confirms he’s not staying at the eels (although I think that’s an old interview anyway?).
Couple of fluff pieces come out in the media this week about not seeing his misses and her making the silver fern’s-seemingly paving the way for a compassionate release….

I agree. Brad Arthur coming out and saying that literally means nothing - any negative impact Papalli's decision may have had on the Eels in GF week is now gone. As a coach of a team in the GF he's done the right thing.
But if that was the case and it was clear cut, he would have come out and said he was going there. In fact that video seems to show he doesn't want to go there, opening his eyes really big when asked to blink if he's going to Tigers - it's almost defiant haha.

Just think, if he ends up at Tigers he's going to get a lot of shit from team mates, coaching staff and fans for the way he's refused to commit to them. Why would he do that if he is going there?

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Potentially, but if there’s anything going on behind the scenes between the Warriors and tigers you in terms of compensation you wouldn’t expect Arthurs to know anything about it. He seems to be saying he definitely won’t be at the eels. Will be interesting.
I’d say Arthurs is simply distancing the Eels from any perceived influence backlash

If I were the one New Zealand warriors recruitment team I would not stop at 29
Would recruit a prop as 30th member right now
Screw the convention of keeping the 30th spot open until mid season
that's a good take. Is it really a winning strategy to keep your [squad] powder dry?

I'd say squad management differs for every club, but there is no point in having optionality if you end up carrying it for the sake of it. Or if you have a habit of using it poorly.

We’ve had 25 years of rebuilding. I’m keen on a few results now

Dally m awards…

I like the style of that reporter. Maybe he should be do an interview with Matt Lodge and Robbo to get us some answers?

that's a good take. Is it really a winning strategy to keep your [squad] powder dry?

I'd say squad management differs for every club, but there is no point in having optionality if you end up carrying it for the sake of it. Or if you have a habit of using it poorly.

We’ve had 25 years of rebuilding. I’m keen on a few results now

I think we would still have more salary cap space than most other clubs. If a good player became available we would be able to fit them under the cap. Addin Fonua-Blake is an example of that.

If no one is available then you can sign someone to fill our your roster. For me anyway there is no one out there who is a difference maker at the moment.

I think our depth is mostly fine, it’s mainly top end quality we are lacking.

Dally m awards…

Hope you are right because he’s a weapon these days. Was it you that knows his manager, or perhaps it was bruce?

Reactions: Defence and Toookey

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
TIGERS BREATHE EASY
Tigers fans can finally breathe a sigh of relief.
Eels coach Brad Arthur has confirmed that star forward Isaiah Papalii will honour his deal and link up with the Tigers next season.

It means Sunday’s grand final will be the 24-year-old’s final one in the blue and gold before making the move, hoping to go out a premiership winner.
“Isaiah will be going to the Tigers,” Arthur told News Corp.
“He would have liked to have stayed but he has made his decision and he has too much integrity as a person to renege on his Tigers deal.
“He has made his commitment to them so that boat (Papali’i staying at Parramatta) has sailed.
“He is going and I wish him well.”
NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent had revealed earlier in the week that the Tigers were willing to hold firm and play Papali’i in reserve grade if he tried to backflip.
“I spoke to Justin Pascoe and said what happens if Papali’i says ‘I’ll stay at Parramatta’ and he said ‘he can sit out three seasons.’ It was as simple as that,” Kent said.
He said under no circumstances are they going to release him to stay at Parramatta and if it gets to the point where he basically tries to take theplsm on and stay at the Eels, they just said he can sit it out.”

Reactions: Mr Brownstone
TIGERS BREATHE EASY
Tigers fans can finally breathe a sigh of relief.
Eels coach Brad Arthur has confirmed that star forward Isaiah Papalii will honour his deal and link up with the Tigers next season.

It means Sunday’s grand final will be the 24-year-old’s final one in the blue and gold before making the move, hoping to go out a premiership winner.
“Isaiah will be going to the Tigers,” Arthur told News Corp.
“He would have liked to have stayed but he has made his decision and he has too much integrity as a person to renege on his Tigers deal.
“He has made his commitment to them so that boat (Papali’i staying at Parramatta) has sailed.
“He is going and I wish him well.”
NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent had revealed earlier in the week that the Tigers were willing to hold firm and play Papali’i in reserve grade if he tried to backflip.
“I spoke to Justin Pascoe and said what happens if Papali’i says ‘I’ll stay at Parramatta’ and he said ‘he can sit out three seasons.’ It was as simple as that,” Kent said.
He said under no circumstances are they going to release him to stay at Parramatta and if it gets to the point where he basically tries to take theplsm on and stay at the Eels, they just said he can sit it out.”
I thought that interview was clear that Ice wasn't coming here but for some reason we are still speculating

Those articles are talking about a straight backflip witch they could just not budge and leave him in reserve grade but if he asks for a release on compassionate grounds they won’t be able to stop him from coming back home
Nah I could def see a situation similar to Gordon Tallis 1996 play out - Ice returns to NZ but Tigers don’t let him play. Or alternatively SBW 2008 where he has to pay out his contract. Tigers can enforce the contract one way or the other if they choose to. Not every teams a push over like the Warriors.

Those articles are talking about a straight backflip witch they could just not budge and leave him in reserve grade but if he asks for a release on compassionate grounds they won’t be able to stop him from coming back home
They can because he is contracted to be there for the next 3 years. Perhaps if this hadn’t been handled like a three ring circus by him or his mgmt, any request to get out of his contract on compassionaye grounds wouldn’t be laughed out the door

I think we're in the denial stage now about the chances of Ice coming home. But just to make sure, they could have a baby so he has to move home... just a suggestion Isaiah and Elle, no pressure, could be the only way out of this now for us long suffering warriors fans.

Just to make sure, they could have a baby so he has to move home... just a suggestion Isaiah and Elle, no pressure, could be the only way out of this now for us long suffering warriors fans.
Even then it’s not a way out unless the Tigers allow it to be. I wouldn’t trust much of what Paul Kent reports, however if what he suggests is even half correct then the Tigers sound like they won’t budge.

Status
Not open for further replies.