Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Panthers have a few off contract for 2024, and if they win this weekend we may see some players chase the money instead of going for more premierships...

Brian To’o, Spencer Leniu, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin, Scott Sorensen and Charlie Staines all off contract...who do we make a play for?

I think the dream would be Brian To'o for me - with a backline of TMM/Metcalf, Montoya, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Vailea and CNK, I think if we could replace Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (contracted until end of 2024) with To'o we'd be laughing. Would likely cost upwards of $600k but that's only a few hundred k more than what were paying for Dallin Watene-Zelezniak which would be a huge upgrade.

I also really like Leniu at the right price too, if Webby thinks he can get the best out of him
Didn't Webby say he wasn't targeting to bring Panthers players with him? Or was that just for media/keeping Panthers management happy?

Reactions: J_P and Toookey
Didn't Webby say he wasn't targeting to bring Panthers players with him? Or was that just for media/keeping Panthers management happy?

Yeah I'm sure he would say that. But imagine if they win this year, and old mate Webby is in their ear come November saying that he'll give you a new challenge and 100-200k more than what you're getting at Penny to come play at the Warriors.

It's not going to work for everyone, but for those who don't have heavy family ties in that area, would you rather be paid more and stick with someone you know, or go to another random club. I'd be surprised if we don't get 1 or 2 Penny players in the nek few years. Not sure how big a name we'll get tho

Would just be to keep everyone happy, same deal as Cameron George saying Webster has no involvement with us until his season with the Panthers is finished *insert Tui Billboard here*

Also, Bennett and O’Sullivan said the same thing didn’t they? And yet..

FF44478C-4F88-4D40-955E-DCA8B29F04EF.jpeg
F6053BF6-35BD-4F9B-8CD1-B7FA430A91F7.jpeg

Semi-related but I’ll also throw out there that Herman Ese’ese has signed with the Dolphins - announced earlier today.

Panthers have a few off contract for 2024, and if they win this weekend we may see some players chase the money instead of going for more premierships...

Brian To’o, Spencer Leniu, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin, Scott Sorensen and Charlie Staines all off contract...who do we make a play for?

I think the dream would be Brian To'o for me - with a backline of TMM/Metcalf, Montoya, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Vailea and CNK, I think if we could replace Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (contracted until end of 2024) with To'o we'd be laughing. Would likely cost upwards of $600k but that's only a few hundred k more than what were paying for Dallin Watene-Zelezniak which would be a huge upgrade.

I also really like Leniu at the right price too, if Webby thinks he can get the best out of him
I'd be careful chasing anyone from Penrith, especially an outside back. Cleary the coach & Cleary the half make them look better than they are. At the warriors, they probably wouldn't look half as good!

I'd be careful chasing anyone from Penrith, especially an outside back. Cleary the coach & Cleary the half make them look better than they are. At the warriors, they probably wouldn't look half as good!

Yea agreed, outside backs are at the mercy of their teams.

If Charlie Staines had debuted at the Warriors his yardage struggles would’ve been amplified, he wouldn’t have got all the easy catch and score trys, and his defence would’ve been tested in ways it simply isn’t on the end of a rock solid defensive line.

Defending an edge on a good team is hard, defending it on a bad team is significantly harder.

Just because outside back A is running well at a good team and outside back B is struggling on a bad team, it doesn’t always mean A > B.

I’d give him the fullback jersey if that’s what he wants.
He’s not perfect but would be a good centre you would think. Would give us a massive speed upgrade especially if Metcalf was good enough to be in the team. We would turn more of those half breaks into tries. He played centre well there for QLand 🤔

Reactions: Worried2Death
Yeah but he would be after the fullback gig. That was his position before Drinkwaters breakout. He’s not going to move here just to play centre.

I have no doubt the Cows would rather move Hiku on if Hammer just wanted to play centre.
Disagree. Hiku is one of the top 3 form centres in the game behind manu & Holmes. His stats prove that. He’s just had a break out season, and is a walk in for kiwis. Payton brought him over, & he’s making the 3rd most metres of any centre this year. He’s a gun. I’d take hiku over hammer any day.

Disagree. Hiku is one of the top 3 form centres in the game behind manu & Holmes. His stats prove that. He’s just had a break out season, and is a walk in for kiwis. Payton brought him over, & he’s making the 3rd most metres of any centre this year. He’s a gun. I’d take hiku over hammer any day.
The question wasn’t who’s a better centre right now.

But if you’d take maybe one decent year left in Hiku over the next 10 years of Hammer, then you do you.

Btw Hiku isn’t close to a top 3 centre, that’s laughable.

I think Hamiso would sooner go play Union, where he would probably kill it I imagine, than move to NZ - that said I would obviously love if he was on our team.

Looking around the other teams, he wouldn’t find many better opportunities to get a fullback spot than with us.. everyone but us, the Dogs and the ‘Phins either have their fullback of the future waiting in the wings or a star fullback already locked in, or in some cases both.

Reactions: Worried2Death
I think Hamiso would sooner go play Union, where he would probably kill it I imagine, than move to NZ - that said I would obviously love if he was on our team.

Looking around the other teams, he wouldn’t find many better opportunities to get a fullback spot than with us.. everyone but us, the Dogs and the ‘Phins either have their fullback of the future waiting in the wings or a star fullback already locked in, or in some cases both.
Yeah he can literally can walk down the road to Redcliffe and earn marquee money playing his favoured fullback position.

But why do that when he can move country to NZ and play centre..

Geoff Public

Contributor
Payton said in one of his interviews, Hiku's experience was important to stop the younger players panicking in tight situations. They may feel they still need him for next season.

Hindsight has shown letting Ponga go so Thurston played one more year was imo a poor decision. They're sure to keep that in mind as they balance the demands of all their improved players. But they will still loose some.

The Hammer will be an asset somewhere, but I think we should be looking elsewhere.

This season we were the ones who panicked and fell into disarray at times. I'm hoping our coach can start resolving that with the training in smaller groups. Resolving that should also be at the forefront of our recruitment. I don't see the Hammer as a leader. And I would be spending every brass razoo we have left on one or hopefully 2 leaders so other teams don't run riot against us like they did this season .

Payton said in one of his interviews, Hiku's experience was important to stop the younger players panicking in tight situations. They may feel they still need him for next season.

This season we were the ones who panicked and fell into disarray at times. I'm hoping our coach can start resolving that with the training in smaller groups. Resolving that should also be at the forefront of our recruitment. I don't see the Hammer as a leader. And I would be spending every brass razoo we have left on one or hopefully 2 leaders so other teams don't run riot against us like they did this season .

A big improvement next year should be our experience - I had a quick look and we are roughly gaining 300 games experience next year, including experience in finals and GF over some of the team from this year (obvs not a like for like replacement but you get the idea). Hopefully this helps us with a lot of those panic moments you mentioned

Mitch Barnett 128
CNK 73
TMM 68
Ice 120
Walker 186
Metcalf
Niukore 100
Vs
Walsh 38
Aitken 151
Chanel Harris-Tavita 54
Murchie 40
Berry 15
Pene 24
Katoa 46

A big improvement next year should be our experience - I had a quick look and we are roughly gaining 300 games experience next year, including experience in finals and GF over some of the team from this year (obvs not a like for like replacement but you get the idea). Hopefully this helps us with a lot of those panic moments you mentioned

Mitch Barnett 128
CNK 73
TMM 68
Ice 120
Walker 186
Metcalf
Niukore 100
Vs
Walsh 38
Aitken 151
Chanel Harris-Tavita 54
Murchie 40
Berry 15
Pene 24
Katoa 46
So is it confirmed that Ice is coming 🤔

Reactions: Hitro

playdaball

Heritage Member
Refer to the link below.

If this was the Warriors, they'd cave in and let him come back to NZ, not so sure about the Tigers though!

Hopefully the club has a plan whereby they are offering a palyer as compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.