Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Leniu leave the Panthers & head to NZ? Only reason would be money & that would then be a big gamble for us paying up for a bloke who averages 23 minutes of game time as an impact player for the strongest pack in the comp. He’s only 22 however does our track record of developing players fill anyone with confidence that Leniu wouldn’t just go down the same path as nearly every young player that the Warriors has attempted to develop over the last decade? Leniu is great in the Panthers system however I’d be willing to bet he would fail at the Warriors.

Yeah it seems to spell potential disaster really - young bloke in a star studded team with a minimal role off the bench, that we would likely have to offer decent coin to bring over.

Given that we wouldn't get him til 2024, and we have several young players capable of playing a similar 20-25 minute impact role off the bench from 2024, it would be a no from me.

Why would Leniu leave the Panthers & head to NZ? Only reason would be money & that would then be a big gamble for us paying up for a bloke who averages 23 minutes of game time as an impact player for the strongest pack in the comp. He’s only 22 however does our track record of developing players fill anyone with confidence that Leniu wouldn’t just go down the same path as nearly every young player that the Warriors has attempted to develop over the last decade? Leniu is great in the Panthers system however I’d be willing to bet he would fail at the Warriors.
100% agree mate.... if the kids smart enough, stay where you are... surrounded by the best players in the comp, got one of the smartest coaches in the game, who knows how to develop players and bring out the best in them.
His game time will get longer as he develops, too early to worry about money, that will come in time when he gets better.
I think the subject should be closed and think of someone else dont you think...

There is always a risk with any young player and there is always a risk with any recruit but by the time we would be able to get our hands on him he will be coming up to 24 years old and 100 games and should be ready to try make the step up to a starting role.

There is also a lot of chatter about how we need another prop but who else is off-contract that is any better than Leniu right now? Beggars can't be choosers.

Bunty Afoa, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Renouf Atoni, Eddie Blacker, Ethan Bullemor, George Burgess, Thomas Burgess, JJ Collins, Thomas Flegler, Jordan Grant, Wiremu Greig, Emre Guler, David Hollis, Royce Hunt, Corey Jensen, Tui Kamikamica, Josh Kerr, Josh King, David Klemmer, Liam Knight, Blake Lawrie, Spencer Leniu, Tepai Moeroa, Chris Patolo, Aaron Pene, Ava Seumanufagai, Tukimihia Simpkins, Toafofoa Sipley, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Luke Thompson, Alec Tuitavake, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Aaron Woods

NAS, JWH, Fleger, Klemmer are better players right now (and would be demanding a lot more than Leniu), but I would say everyone else on that list is either a rung below him or are about the same, but not as high potential.

I think it is more realistic/he would be willing to take less than he is worth to stay with Penrith, and specifically his boys, Luai, To'o and Crichton, but I would be happy if we forked out 500k or whatever it would cost to link him back up with Webster- the worst case scenario imo is that we are overpaying for one of the best bench props in the NRL.

Food for thought, just wondering if any of the Manly boys who refused to wear the rainbow jersey would jump clubs. Theres certainly alot of unrest at Manly right now, and religious beliefs can over ride anything else. Maybe 1 or 2 of those players can fill the gaps we need, could be worth a closer look...

If (and it's a big if) we've signed Papalii for nek year I can't see us signing anyone else as a prop.

We'd likely play Tohu Harris there imo. And while that's not his best position, he's slowing down somewhat, but with a team that has Addin Fonua-Blake, Niukore, Barnett and Ice, there is going to be way less need for Tohu Harris to make hard meters up front as well have all of those players who have played front row and are big bodies.

I have a sneaky suspicion we would have been looking at Taupau prior to the Ice news, so if that turns to custard I think well have Taupau for another year and Tohu Harris to play in the back row

Bringing Ice in would upset the balance of the team IMO. Hes an edge forward not a prop, he was a good edge forward for us until he was swapped all over the place. Brad Arthur's playing him where he belongs and its bearing fruit.
Plus Im not keen on the idea of using Tohu Harris as a prop. If hes our captain, much prefer him at lock or somewhere central where he can see whats going on and read the game better. And direct Shaun Johnson and co to make better game play decisions.

Bringing Ice in would upset the balance of the team IMO. Hes an edge forward not a prop, he was a good edge forward for us until he was swapped all over the place. Brad Arthur's playing him where he belongs and its bearing fruit.
Plus Im not keen on the idea of using Tohu Harris as a prop. If hes our captain, much prefer him at lock or somewhere central where he can see whats going on and read the game better. And direct Shaun Johnson and co to make better game play decisions.

Ice is a better edge than what we have. If we were to get him it would probably result in us looking to move someone on.

Harris won't play prop.

Only really works if you are willing (big if) to put Niukore into centre. Barnett/Tohu Harris/Ice as your back row with Curran on the bench. Still need a prop though

Reactions: Worried2Death
Of course he’s an upgrade on Bunty, there wouldn’t be anyone on the forum that disagrees with that.
Right.. random comment.

People aren't discussing whether he's a good player, its whether he would be worth the cost to get him here.

No shit he's better than Bunty. Probably costs 3 times the price of Bunty as well, given his age and perceived potential.

If he ever leaves, its for a starting gig. Not to replace Bunty on a bench.

With Leniu, Websters had two years to judge his potential. If he makes an offer I’d back it. However as a general rule rotation players from good clubs aren’t worth the increased wages. Pene is an example of this.

If we were in the hunt for Papalii, you’d trade in any other forward apart from Harris or Addin Fonua-Blake. He’s the best edge forward in the comp and is of an age where he could get even better. If we are in a position to get him it’s a no brainer.

Right.. random comment.

People aren't discussing whether he's a good player, its whether he would be worth the cost to get him here.

No shit he's better than Bunty. Probably costs 3 times the price of Bunty as well, given his age and perceived potential.

If he ever leaves, its for a starting gig. Not to replace Bunty on a bench.
Did you bother to check what I was replying to?

Really interesting story from Mick Watson on Monty Betham’s Once a Warrior last night. Apparently when Watson became involved with the club Kevin Walters and Michael Hancock were two names they identified to go after, one night he got a call from Bennett saying you can’t have them but I can get you Kevin Campion. Was wondering if there could be something similar happening here with how we only negotiated with the broncos for Reece Walsh, would think we’d ask for Jesse Arthars but maybe because we’re in need of a prop that’s what we want. Probably nothing to it but Flegler is on the market. He’d be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.