Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Shaun Johnson 98th $500,000
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 30th $800,00 😮
Tohu Harris 24th $810,00
Addin Fonua-Blake 20th $850,00
Matt lodge 13th $900,000….

This bit caught my eye…

Lodge has landed at the Roosters for the remainder of this season on a cut-price deal, although his full salary continues to be supplemented by payouts from both the Brisbane Broncos and New Zealand Warriors, the latter of whom have paid him out in full for next season. Lodge is hoping to earn an extension with the Roosters.

Almost sounds like we’ve already paid him for next year (possibly out of this years cap?)
That would make me feel a lot better about the situation if it was the case….

Also talks about how props are now the highest paid players followed by second rowers, then locks- then halfbacks… that’s all turned on it’s head!
In saying that the top 3 are all halfbacks- cleary, dce, hunt 🤔
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak getting 400k from dogs though

Bunty is ok.
You need someone who just runs hard at the line and defends well.
Just like you need tackle bots like Aitken.
There’s 13 players on the field.
Not all of them to need to have attacking glair.
Yeah it's about balance. It's rare to have a whole pack of forwards who attack hard and defend hard. Broncos had it for a brief moment but once they realized their value they took off since no club can pay for that many stars. Except the Roarters of course.

Reactions: Tonbridge (Swanley)
Whether we like it or not, got to find 2 more alpha props.. the twins are a couple more years away, I reckon and Bunty is too easy to read and tackle.
Addin Fonua-Blake's been injured a couple of times and had a few weeks on the sidelines in the last 2 years. 1 extra wont be enough, we saw that with lodge trying to carry us with no real backup... plus I didnt like seeing Addin Fonua-Blake and Lodge start then have a break together, leaving us vulnerable in the middle..
Thats been the biggest cause of losing the leads weve had before 1/2 time...
I’d put Barnett at Prop and pay what ever we need to get Royce Hunt over who is a Kiwi lad.
I’m getting a real Mana Vibe about next year with all these Maori signings lol.

8. Mitch Barnett
9. Wade Egan
10. Adin Fonua-Blake
11. Marata Niukore
12. Josh Curran
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker/ Freddie Lussick
15. Tom Ale
16. Royce Hunt
17. Ben Murdoch-Masila

I’d put Barnett at Prop and pay what ever we need to get Royce Hunt over who is a Kiwi lad.
I’m getting a real Mana Vibe about next year with all these Maori signings lol.

8. Mitch Barnett
9. Wade Egan
10. Adin Fonua-Blake
11. Marata Niukore
12. Josh Curran
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker/ Freddie Lussick
15. Tom Ale
16. Royce Hunt
17. Ben Murdoch-Masila
Quite like that tbh. Would prefer Murchie to Ben Murdoch-Masila.
Interesting no Bunty or jazz- that article said they’ll both be resigned but hard to see where they fit in moving forward.

Reactions: Dannevegas
Yeah im on the Roycie Hunt bandwagon as well and i think would be a realistic target. Would be a good foil for when A F B goes off the park and we lose momentum. He's another strong ball carrier, good into the contact and can create ruckspeed.

IF we could somehow snag someone like him my team would look something like

1. Te Maire Martin
2. Dallin Watene Zeleniak
3. Charnze Nicol Klockstad
4. Marcel Montoya
5, Ed Kosi
6. Luke Metcalf
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua Blake
9. Wade Egan
10. Tohu Harris
11. Josh Curran
12. Jack Murchie
13. Mitch Barnett

14. Dylan Walker
15. Royce Hunt
16. Bunty Afoa
17. Marata Niukore

Reactions: Rick O'Shay
He signed a two year deal for 2022 and 2023. Both years guaranteed.
His contract status only appeared on the NRL website during the week. You might have him confused with Finau who apparently isn't going to be retained View attachment 47826
might be true but they said the kid that went to knights was sold to stay to just don't see how the will fit in the 30( yet another like jnr and the twins promised full time spots in the 30 which i don't see happening this coming season ) and if they don't get it and can get it at other clubs they will go ,this is why we shouldn't promise contracts , all those that played at the first game back of the warriors jnrs have contracts else where now and 90 percent of them had contracts for longer here

also guys like garret smith n jayden corrgin and okakakolo who were signed to be in 30 and not used much

going be intresting to see what or feeder side looks like as very few would of played much nrl or feeder footty

Last edited:
Reactions: Worried2Death

Another option, should the warriors cut Johnson now since surley he's not in the picture 2024? Keep Asi and run with Te Maire Matrin at 7 and Metcalf at 6?

Just so the halves can settle as quickly as possible?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Damo
If it is an Asi or Metcalf decision the decision is an easy decision.

I would release Metcalf from his contract if he did not agree to a longer term contract before coming. The simple facts are Metcalf has only signed a 2 year deal meaning he can negotiate with another club after November 1 next year.

He signs with another club next year. Two thinks happen we've spent time developing a player who will join another club, He then plays the home sick card and we release him early. (This current warriors management loves to give early releases). I am struggling to see up the side in that equation.

On the flip side, the club re-signs Asi to a long term contract, probably on a lower salary then Metcalf (remember we have to pay the tax on recruiting Aussie players to NZ). He's a kiwi who grow up supporting the Warriors.

I would rather the club develop the person that is more likely to commit to the club long-term, rather than the person that is likely to run back to Australia the first offer he gets from another club.

might be true but they said the kid that went to knights was sold to stay to just don't see how the will fit in the 30( yet another like jnr and the twins promised full time spots in the 30 which i don't see happening this coming season ) and if they don't get it and can get it at other clubs they will go ,this is why we shouldn't promise contracts , all those that played at the first game back of the warriors jnrs have contracts else where now and 90 percent of them had contracts for longer here

also guys like garret smith n jayden corrgin and okakakolo who were signed to be in 30 and not used much

going be intresting to see what or feeder side looks like as very few would of played much nrl or feeder footty
Man, you hate sentences aye.

Not sure what you're points are in this tbh, but Sifakula was signed straight out of school to a two year deal last year with the second year a guaranteed promotion to the four man development list.

That's what you have to do to get in demand prospects, sometimes you have to guarantee them something to entice them to sign. They want security. Whenever you sign someone to a contract its a risk. If we didn't do it, somebody else would. I have probably the highest hopes for him out of all our juniors right now, even with the long injury layoff, just the ideal modern day forward/lock imo.

That's not true about the junior game played at mt smart, the decent ones are signed by us. Leiataua, Tito-Harris, Piliu, Sio Kali, Vaafusuaga, Laban, Cowley-Lupo. The rest of them were basically trialing for the SG ball team next year, so majority of those guys were unsigned at the time (or had very loose/flexible contracts with us), but may have signed elsewhere since.

Also Garrett and Corrrigan were never signed to top 30.

Not sure what you're points are in this tbh, but Sifakula was signed straight out of school to a two year deal last year with the second year a guaranteed promotion to the four man development list.

That's what you have to do to get in demand prospects, sometimes you have to guarantee them something to entice them to sign. They want security. Whenever you sign someone to a contract its a risk. If we didn't do it, somebody else would. I have probably the highest hopes for him out of all our juniors right now, even with the long injury layoff, just the ideal modern day forward/lock imo.

That's not true about the junior game played at mt smart, the decent ones are signed by us. Leiataua, Tito-Harris, Piliu, Sio Kali, Vaafusuaga, Laban, Cowley-Lupo. The rest of them were basically trialing for the SG ball team next year, so majority of those guys were unsigned at the time (or had very loose/flexible contracts with us), but may have signed elsewhere since.

Any word on how Zion Maiu’us doing?

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Ouch that intercept must’ve stung 🤣
Screenshot_2022-08-13-07-37-56-68_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

oh don't worry pal done my home work , i know the clubs these other players that didnt get signed are looked at by more talent than just those that were said in trail.as for garrett and Corrigan they are still on the warriors page so are on our books and yes i did my research on that too.my source i let you be the one that.

as for sentence's say what you, want , water of a ducks back when you hear it all before

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content. Please use another thread if your post content does not adhere to the above.

All offtopic chatter will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.

Zero tolerance to the above. Thank you to the majority who stay on topic on this thread.