Recruitment 2022 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

I'm just worried if we were to pick up Garrick and Taupau we may be referred to as the New Zealand Sea Eagles 🤮
We spend half the year with their banner on here thanks to Tahjay's crazy bets. Although we do win a lot more games while we're silvertails than we do when we're Warriors, I look forward to it every year now.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
We spend half the year with their banner on here thanks to Tahjay's crazy bets. Although we do win a lot more games while we're silvertails than we do when we're Warriors, I look forward to it every year now.
Those who have been around the block a few times will remember ‘Back in Day’ there were so many kiwis playing for Manly Warringah they jokingly started referring to them as Māori Warringah..
… and I’d also like to see Reuben Garrick playing for the Warriors

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
With Egan and Otukolo both signed till the end of 2024. I don't see a place for Lussick. If Jazz does not resign I assume Walker becomes Mr Fixit off the bench.

I would be upset if recruitment is not spending the majority of its time looking for a leader who can help keep us on track, on the field when we've just turned the ball over.
Otukolo will be in feeder side like a lot of other jnrs that we have this year they need to develop more

Reactions: 1 users
Those who have been around the block a few times will remember ‘Back in Day’ there were so many kiwis playing for Manly Warringah they jokingly started referring to them as Māori Warringah..
… and I’d also like to see Reuben Garrick playing for the Warriors
This was well past the Graham Lowe/Ridge era that you reference, but I recall at some point Manly had an agreement with Maori TV to screen all of their games on the channel. It had some fanfare as well with Des Hasler and a couple of players coming over and they talked about growing the profile of the game here etc and becoming the second most popular team in NZ again. It kind of petered out after a year though.

To stay on topic Reuben Garrick has been very good the last couple of seasons. Surprising bursts of speed as well. Never really thought he had that in him when he first started.

Not a good article for us trying to retain and recruit players 🙄☹️

Not sure the club can be held responsible for making him grow up as he states, but some seem to benefit from getting out of their comfort zone. Think he really should consider his own attitude. Good on him with his current form and I don’t hold anything against him for it but leaving for the tigers when he says he owes parramatta for the player he is doesn’t seem filled with gratitude. Guess that’s business.

Reactions: 10 users
Not sure the club can be held responsible for making him grow up as he states, but some seem to benefit from getting out of their comfort zone. Think he really should consider his own attitude. Good on him with his current form and I don’t hold anything against him for it but leaving for the tigers when he says he owes parramatta for the player he is doesn’t seem filled with gratitude. Guess that’s business.
Yeah agreed it’s all on him for being lazy whist at warriors, then thanking para for giving him a deal 6 figures less the warriors offered 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ But still the perception will be “he was shit when at warriors and now he’s real good”

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah agreed it’s all on him for being lazy whist at warriors, then thanking para for giving him a deal 6 figures less the warriors offered 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ But still the perception will be “he was shit when at warriors and now he’s real good”

I think there is something to be asked about why he wasn't motivated while he was here, and I don't think many would disagree there are some culture issues at the Warriors, but I agree generally that articles like that reflect worse on him than the Warriors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
We’ve had plenty of juniors come good at other clubs but i can’t remember many first grade players we’ve lost that I can remember thinking I wish we had them back, CNK would be one for me. I sure there will be heaps of them that I’m missing. When you look at Penrith, those juniors come through that system and love that club. Many will stay for less than what they could get elsewhere and the core of the team is on the bulk of the salary cap. Papalii was one of our juniors that should have loved the club in the same way, but for us we seem to breed plodders. That love can translate to other teams with the likes of Sam Walker wanting to stay with the roosters after coming through the broncos system, Curran is one for us that seems to love the club. You can see it in his disappointment. Hopefully the next coach can restore the pride when I think of the likes of Maumalo or Vatuvei absolutely heartbroken when being moved on and how much the club obviously meant to them.

Reactions: 7 users
Played best on Dallin Watene-Zelezniak side and crumbled on the other. Actually prefer his size to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak for his hit ups. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak wins as a try finisher but Kosi not bad either. I like his potential, especially spending time with Vailea in other grades.
Yeah Vailea and Kosi are a definite long term edge, they're the least of our recruitment problems. We still need another quality centre to replace Hiku, dunno if Dylan Walker is the answer there. Dylan Walker from 10 years ago would have been, Ed Kosi would have broken Manu's record for tries outside Walker from 10 years ago.

Last edited:
RIVALS CIRCLING TOUGH WARRIOR
Warriors forward Jack Murchie could become the latest New Zealand player to leave the club with rivals circling. The Warriors are keen to lock down the 24-year-old but he is on the radar of several clubs. Murchie will finally get a chance to play in New Zealand when the Warriors return home on July 3.

Warriors forward Jack Murchie could become the latest New Zealand player to leave the club with rivals circling. The Warriors are keen to lock down the 24-year-old but he is on the radar of several clubs. Murchie will finally get a chance to play in New Zealand when the Warriors return home on July 3.

Hate these sound bites.. I wouldn't describe Murchie as NRL tough, and he's off contract, so free game for all.

I'm not really sold on him TBH, he's too rocks or diamonds, mostly standing out with errors more than positive play. Think he's a decent player, but not expecting him to stay.

Hate these sound bites.. I wouldn't describe Murchie as NRL tough, and he's off contract, so free game for all.

I'm not really sold on him TBH, he's too rocks or diamonds, mostly standing out with errors more than positive play. Think he's a decent player, but not expecting him to stay.
Would be happy if he got to go home to the raiders. Murchie has been a solid team player, yes prone to errors but who isnt in this team. If he stayed sweet but deserves another NRL contract.

Murchie is a good squad player, I would of preferred he played in the front row, he's got more guts then Masila and more minutes in him.

Just a thought on retaining some off contract players. Shouldnt all contract negotiations freeze untill we have a new coach?

I'm thinking it would be wise to leave space for the new coach to bring in anyone he might see that would strengthen the squad?

Reactions: 5 users
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content. Please use another thread if your post content does not adhere to the above.

All offtopic chatter will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.

Zero tolerance to the above. Thank you to the majority who stay on topic on this thread.