If you were looking for anything controversial tonight, you would be disappointed. I think everyone who attended tonight, knew what the club has been through and didn't want to rock the boat. Yes I know a number of you would be disappointed with this. Attending were Cam George, Stacey and Tohu Harris
. There were about 100 members who attended the event.
Anyway here are the points that I got out of tonight, may or may not be relevant.
1. They could only play 6 players per week in the Redcliff team per QLD rules, so that was a reason why more players weren't playing each weekend.
2. When in NSW they had to take 24 players per NRL.So once the 17 were chosen, 7 would miss out on any game time.
3. So per point 1 & 2, that was part of a reason why players were under prepared in some games. Not an excuse but putting things into context.
4. Robertson wants to put a large investment into pathways for NZ players.
5. Spending upto $3.8 million in 2025, from over $2million next year and moving forward from there.
6. Next year NRL, NSW and S G Ball teams.
Coaches for NSW and SG Ball will be named next week.
7. NRWL team won't be there until 2025.
8. By 2025 they want 50/50 or 40/60 of NZ players.
9. They also want to have an under 17 team playing by 2025.
10. Covid has affected their junior development for 3 years and there is alot of work to do.
11. Don't expect the NRL to give the Warriors any further games next year, including the ANZAC game. They are not interested. A couple of clubs may play their home games here in NZ but not at MT Smart.
12. The club admitted the games against the Storm, Sharkes and Bunnies were not good enough.
13. The club has said all new signings for next year are committed to staying in NZ.
14. Brief discussion about how some ex Warriors have excelled after leaving the team i.e ICE, they agreed that these players leaving their home and family in NZ has been good for them but not for all. They are hoping that the new pathways through the club will help these players to develop.
15. 4 players wanted release prior to the 1 Aug and the club refused, 3 nrl ( including Walsh
) and 1 junior
16. Eliesa Katoa
didn't think he could make the first team moving forward, so that was part of the reason he is leaving for the storm. Appears also there is more to the story but George didn't go into anything further.
17. Finally they are wanting to end the season on a high I.e no wooden spoon.
Any that's it, non eventful.