My Game assessment
1) Fantastic game. Long live the all star game.
2) Kodi played as good as whatever you thought of him going into the match. To my eyes he was absolute garbage. Must have butchered at least two tries and awful 6th tackle options where he gave away 7 tackle sets with lame bombs that were easily caught by the indigenious in their goal zone. He played at the level you would expect from a 4th in line half that spends half a season in Reserve Grade.
3) Chanel Harris-Tavita
was worse than Kodi. If that is even possible. With a three on two overlap I realised just how left hand dominant is he is, as he was completely unable to pass to his right and the ball dribbled out of his hand feebly and bounced before the recipient and the try went begging. Kicks that were even worse than Kodi's. Including some left footed side kick on the 6th tackle that was intended to create a forced drop out but instead didn't go very far and was gathered easily by Indigenious. I hope the rumour is true we are shopping him around. I also hope the wish I created and wrote on a piece of paper and cast into a wishing well comes true that Kodi is fired into the sun.
4) Nicho Hynes wasn't much better than either Kodi or Chanel Harris-Tavita
. And as much as I am bagging Kodi, and Kodi deserves to be bagged, Nicho worse than Kodi. Nicho as I expected and observed last year only passes the ball when all options for him as a ball runner have well and truely died. Rather than looking to be a play maker from the second he gets the ball he always tries to score a try himself regardless of how may defenders are in front of him or how far out from the try line he is. Even the try he created was dumb as he kicked his grubber on the 4th tackle.
5) David Fifta had me out of my seat. May be the best second rower of this generation.
6) The Maori props were beasts.
8) Patrick Herbert
looked like a man who has done some deep soul searching about his piss poor play in the last match of the Titans season and had re-invented himself in the off season. Good for him. He was an asset for he Marori but I still don't want him back at this stage. I also didn't like his haircut for what that comment is worth (this is a joke).
9) JAC's lack of involvement in the game was a poor effort for a captain and cost his side the match.