Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Bit of a myth these days tho re size and skill.

Hynes, Pap, Taafe, Brimson, Campbell, Laurie, even Will Kennedy are only a few cm and kg either side of Reece. Most have playmaking and kicking skills, I think it’s been the natural progression of full backs nowadays
Out of those Hynes, Taaffe and Brimson are tipped to go into the halves though, along with Ponga.

Reactions: Toookey

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
But how many times is that needed tho, you look at all those guys how many times have they got a break away from over halfway? Maybe 5 or 6 times combined this year.
Would absolutely love it if Reece was a speed machine but I think most tries we score would be no more try an 40m out, which he should be sweet with
Got run down 2 or 3 times this year out of his 16 games so he is gonna lose 4 or 5 tries a year - could be crucial.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019

Heating up 🔥
Could be perfect timing that there’s looking like a pathway to perhaps have home games in the future if vaccination levels are met if a return home is an incentive.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
We'll see. That's an opinion piece pretty much summarising what we already know. Wouldn't get too giddy based on just that.
It was scraping the bottom of the barrell for a story. eg they quoted and reprinted an Interview from Feb 2021 and pretended it was pertinent.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
There’s a shitload going on. Sounds like the knights are going after Brooks who is managed by Moses, like the coach, to replace Pearce. Can see the tigers target Chanel Harris-Tavita. Also Hodgson to the tigers might have fallen through with Starling arrested, and Koriasau looks to be on the tigers list. The broncos are chasing Reed Mahoney, would make Turpin perhaps keen to look around after we chased him before.

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
May 1, 2012
Hynes, Pap, Taafe, Brimson, Campbell, Laurie, even Will Kennedy are only a few cm and kg either side of Reece. Most have playmaking and kicking skills, I think it’s been the natural progression of full backs nowadays
The best fullbacks are Turbo 102kg ,Teddy 95 Latrell 102, Ponga 92, Gutho 96, Papenhuyzen (who has struggled with physicality) 80
While the best halves Cleary 92, Munster 89, Hughes 90, Luai 90, Walker 90, Reynolds 85

Reece is 88

Pricey

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 2, 2016
But isn't everyone on here looking for a value for money decent hooker with a few tricks up their sleeve and no injury concerns.

Reactions: rugged

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
The best fullbacks are Turbo 102kg ,Teddy 95 Latrell 102, Ponga 92, Gutho 96, Papenhuyzen (who has struggled with physicality) 80
While the best halves Cleary 92, Munster 89, Hughes 90, Luai 90, Walker 90, Reynolds 85

Reece is 88
Take Turbo and Teddy out, who are literally two of the best players in the last 15 years, and then largely we’re talking a matter of 2 or 3 kg for Ponga, Pap and the rest that I mentioned earlier.

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
There’s a shitload going on. Sounds like the knights are going after Brooks who is managed by Moses, like the coach, to replace Pearce. Can see the tigers target Chanel Harris-Tavita. Also Hodgson to the tigers might have fallen through with Starling arrested, and Koriasau looks to be on the tigers list. The broncos are chasing Reed Mahoney, would make Turpin perhaps keen to look around after we chased him before.
Hodgson to the Tigers is a goer, as Jacob Liddle could be part of a swap deal.

To me, it's a great deal for Canberra

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
But isn't everyone on here looking for a value for money decent hooker with a few tricks up their sleeve and no injury concerns.
There's no such thing as value for money hookers at the moment. Major shortage in the market means price inflation.

I'm happy with Egan for next year, and happy to see how Otukolo goes next year to see whether he's a starting option for 2023. Also keen to see how Kalepo comes back from injury.

All in all, I think we should stay out of the bidding wars for B Smith, Mahoney etc.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Hodgson to the Tigers is a goer, as Jacob Liddle could be part of a swap deal.

To me, it's a great deal for Canberra
Koriasau is wanting answers from the panthers as to what their plans are, he is being linked to the tigers. If the tigers did get Hodgson, the Warriors could offer an experienced dummy half like him a couple of years at probably a reasonable rate. We chased him before he went to the panthers. I do like Egan but the injuries do concern me, would be tough if Koriasau pushed Egan out of two clubs though. Koriasau had some injuries too and a bit of drama in the origin camp admittedly this year.

Reactions: ramps and Toookey

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
There's no such thing as value for money hookers at the moment. Major shortage in the market means price inflation.

I'm happy with Egan for next year, and happy to see how Otukolo goes next year to see whether he's a starting option for 2023. Also keen to see how Kalepo comes back from injury.

All in all, I think we should stay out of the bidding wars for B Smith, Mahoney etc.
Fwiw
I agree with all of the above

please no flames for what I will say next
Also as a disclaimer the following is just a hunch
Brandon Smith is a horrible fit with the warriors. He needs a structured high performance environment and will really regress from a consistency perspective and also an off field behaviour perspective if he plays for a team like warriors Titans tigers st George etc
He needs to be in perennial top 6 team to keep him on the straight and narrow
Tohu Harris has been a great storm pick up for us as he is a strong character
Brandon has an angel on one shoulder giving him advice and a lucifer on the other shoulder. He needs structure and a dominant environment.
The too long didn’t read version of this post is that the warriors remnants of a bro culture would be insidiously influential on his professionalism for game preparation and getting on the gear.
Let someone else take him

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Fwiw
I agree with all of the above

please no flames for what I will say next
Also as a disclaimer the following is just a hunch
Brandon Smith is a horrible fit with the warriors. He needs a structured high performance environment and will really regress from a consistency perspective and also an off field behaviour perspective if he plays for a team like warriors Titans tigers st George etc
He needs to be in perennial top 6 team to keep him on the straight and narrow
Tohu Harris has been a great storm pick up for us as he is a strong character
Brandon has an angel on one shoulder giving him advice and a lucifer on the other shoulder. He needs structure and a dominant environment.
The too long didn’t read version of this post is that the warriors remnants of a bro culture would be insidiously influential on his professionalism for game preparation and getting on the gear.
Let someone else take him
Couldn’t agree more and if you are after an example of exactly that happening then look no further than exhibit A - Issac Luke.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Couldn’t agree more and if you are after an example of exactly that happening then look no further than exhibit A - Issac Luke.
I think contracts need to recognise the type of player also. Issac Luke was great in years where contracts were up for renewal, so a short contract was good for a player like him. Seems like a lot of players regress when signed to long contracts like Fusitua and Taumalolo and others for whatever reason. Then you get players like Roger Tuivasa-Sheck who are bankable in knowing what you’re going to get. Can be a gamble the length of a contract but it’s up to the coaches and staff to recognise each players worth and for how long.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
I think contracts need to recognise the type of player also. Issac Luke was great in years where contracts were up for renewal, so a short contract was good for a player like him. Seems like a lot of players regress when signed to long contracts like Fusitua and Taumalolo and others for whatever reason. Then you get players like Roger Tuivasa-Sheck who are bankable in knowing what you’re going to get. Can be a gamble the length of a contract but it’s up to the coaches and staff to recognise each players worth and for how long.

I get watcha on about, but I dunno, Isaac was great for ages at Souths and probably top 3 hooker with Smith and Farah for years on end. It wasn’t our fault, but we found out shortly after him turning up for us.
Taumalolo has also played pretty well in the 5 years he’s signed on for Cowboys. Rule chances have been pretty brutal for a lot of played but still averages 200m last year and 150m this year, so not terrible, probably just down on what we would expect for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings