Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
See Solomone Kata has been released from his brumbies contract to return to NZ for family reasons. Hope it’s nothing too serious, felt for him losing his brother a few years ago. Other news is Mitchell Pearce has asked for an immediate release from Newcastle to join the Catalans Dragons.

shuffle

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
See Solomone Kata has been released from his brumbies contract to return to NZ for family reasons. Hope it’s nothing too serious, felt for him losing his brother a few years ago. Other news is Mitchell Pearce has asked for an immediate release from Newcastle to join the Catalans Dragons.
He’s already played NPC with Auckland before lockdown. Probably pick up a Super Rugby contract somewhere in NZ.

Edit: Pearce should take it 1.8 Mil over 3 years! Catalans going well and it’s in France not England.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Wouldn’t surprise me if someone like Moana Pacific picked him up

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Slow news day yesterday, thought I’d go over the money sitch for nek year, looking at the difference in squad and next year (these are only guesses at money). Kinda hard to do as we had so many mid season recruits, so I’m assuming we had the money for them this year and that didn’t come out of next years money

LOSSES
Leeson Ah Mau - no money gain - Lodge swap
Kane Evans - $200k
David Fusitua - $300k
Peta Hiku -$200k
Karl Lawton - $150k
Ken Maumalo - no money gain - Dallin Watene-Zelezniak swap
Hayne Perham - no money gain - minimum contract to someone else
Jamayne Taunoa-Brown - $100k
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - $1.1 mil
Paul Turner - $50k
Total - $2.1 mil

GAINS
Shaun Johnson - $450k
Pene - $200k
Ash - $250k (assuming he gets a contract)
Walsh -$450k
Lodge - no cost/replacement for Leeson Ah-Mau
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak - no cost/replacement for Ken
Total - $1.35 mil

The difference is $750k, + $400k we saved this year letting Roger and Leeson Ah-Mau go early.

Obviously it’s hard to guess at contract upgrades and any extra money we had to begin the year with, plus Chads $200k, but I would guess we have anywhere between $800k - $1 mill for next year free to play with.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Slow news day yesterday, thought I’d go over the money sitch for nek year, looking at the difference in squad and next year (these are only guesses at money). Kinda hard to do as we had so many mid season recruits, so I’m assuming we had the money for them this year and that didn’t come out of next years money

LOSSES
Kane Evans - $200k
David Fusitua - $300k
Peta Hiku -$200k
Karl Lawton - $150k
Paul Turner - $50k
Total - $2.1 mil

GAINS
Shaun Johnson - $450k
Pene - $200k
Walsh -$450k
Total - $1.35 mil

The difference is $750k, + $400k we saved this year letting Roger and Leeson Ah-Mau go early.

Obviously it’s hard to guess at contract upgrades and any extra money we had to begin the year with, plus Chads $200k, but I would guess we have anywhere between $800k - $1 mill for next year free to play with.
Also Sean O’ Sullivans money depending on what his future is. Probably not a huge amount, but a bit more to add to the cap potentially.

Reactions: Toookey

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Nothing to base this on, but I feel like we could lose Chanel Harris-Tavita once the November 1 window opens. Feel like he would be ideal to a team like the bulldogs, who have recruited big, but nothing added to their spine. Burton may play in the halves, but was impressive at centre.
Yeah it’s interesting times. I don’t know what Chanel Harris-Tavita’s mindset is, but he’s going to have to earn it here next year, and with both Kodi and Ash looking to impress it’s probably (hopefully) going to be a bit of a dog fight. What happens if Chanel Harris-Tavita gets an offer for the nek few years, does he ask for a release and take it, or fight it out? Time will tell.

Also, it’s not ideal for us having 3 contracted halves off contract at the end of 2022. Maybe if we do get Metcalf who should be a multiple year deal, we let Chanel Harris-Tavita move on if he gets an offer.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Also Sean O’ Sullivans money depending on what his future is. Probably not a huge amount, but a bit more to add to the cap potentially.
He would be on the minimum. And we would need to replace him with someone else on the minimum.

Guys like Paul Turner, Hayze Perham, Sean O'Sullivan would be on 80k which is the minimum salary from players 27-30 in the top squad.

Maybe Hayze and Jamayne Tounua-Brown were on 120k which is the minimum salary for players 1-26.

Regardless they need to be replaced with other players on minimum contracts so shouldn't really come into the equation for how much cap space we have.

Last edited:

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013

LOSSES
Kane Evans - $200k
David Fusitua - $300k
Peta Hiku -$200k
Karl Lawton - $150k
Paul Turner - $50k
Total - $2.1 mil

GAINS
Shaun Johnson - $450k
Pene - $200k
Walsh -$450k
Total - $1.35 mil

Just looking at our squad in general, I think its fucking comical to suggest we have salary cap issues (was it the mole?). I think we would have one of the lowest costing squads heading into the 2022 season as of right now.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
He would be on the minimum. And we would need to replace him with someone else on the minimum.

Guys like Paul Turner, Hayze Perham, Sean O'Sullivan would be on 80k which is the minimum salary from players 27-30 in the top squad.

Maybe Hayze and Jamayne Tounua-Brown were on 120k which is the minimum salary for players 1-26.

Regardless they need to be replaced with other players on minimum contracts so shouldn't really come into the equation for how much cap space we have.
If they were to get Metcalf and promote him to the top 30, I don’t think the money difference would be that different between the two. Would probably save a bit having Metcalf and grooming him for his future role with Shaun Johnson gone.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Yeah it’s interesting times. I don’t know what Chanel Harris-Tavita’s mindset is, but he’s going to have to earn it here next year, and with both Kodi and Ash looking to impress it’s probably (hopefully) going to be a bit of a dog fight. What happens if Chanel Harris-Tavita gets an offer for the nek few years, does he ask for a release and take it, or fight it out? Time will tell.

Also, it’s not ideal for us having 3 contracted halves off contract at the end of 2022. Maybe if we do get Metcalf who should be a multiple year deal, we let Chanel Harris-Tavita move on if he gets an offer.
Wonder how much it plays on CHTs mind that he’s still fighting for his position this far down the track. In 2019 he was told he was in a battle with Adam Keighran for a spot in the halves, in 2020 he’s told he’s in a battle with Nikorima for the spot and the same this year. Also injury held him back this year but he’s no further along in the eyes of the Warriors than he was in 2019. That’s how it looks to me anyway, but there could be assurances to him behind the scenes potentially.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Wonder how much it plays on CHTs mind that he’s still fighting for his position this far down the track. In 2019 he was told he was in a battle with Adam Keighran for a spot in the halves, in 2020 he’s told he’s in a battle with Nikorima for the spot and the same this year. Also injury held him back this year but he’s no further along in the eyes of the Warriors than he was in 2019. That’s how it looks to me anyway, but there could be assurances to him behind the scenes potentially.
Agree with all of that except this year. Started the year as a starting half and walked back in a few times this year after injury, despite Sean O'Sullivan going alright.
I just hope people close to him aren’t blowing smoke up
his arse telling him how good he is and a deserved starter, because if that’s the case he might feel entitled or disgruntled. I remember his dad came out on twitter in his defence earlier on in the year, so could deffo see that happening

Reactions: Noitall

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
May 1, 2012
which is something none of us know whether he's willing to do despite it being mentioned on here frequently
I know we want to keep the kid, but surely he will play where we want him to.
I am sure we can make a convincing case that 5/8 is the natural position for his size and skill set.

Reactions: Toookey and Noitall

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
I know we want to keep the kid, but surely he will play where we want him to.
I am sure we can make a convincing case that 5/8 is the natural position for his size and skill set.
Bit of a myth these days tho re size and skill.

Hynes, Pap, Taafe, Brimson, Campbell, Laurie, even Will Kennedy are only a few cm and kg either side of Reece. Most have playmaking and kicking skills, I think it’s been the natural progression of full backs nowadays

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013

Hynes, Pap, Taafe, Brimson, Campbell, Laurie, even Will Kennedy are only a few cm and kg either side of Reece. Most have playmaking and kicking skills, I think it’s been the natural progression of full backs nowadays

It will be interesting to see how long the careers are of the above players and Walsh, Sam Walker and Metcalfe.

So many of the lighter footed, elusive guys don't seem to last when the relentless rigour of FG kick in. Field, Barba, French etc. Ponga seems to have managed despite a few injuries. The likes of Milford's star waned.

Someone like Jayden Campbell could have all the skill in the world, but the odds are still stacked against him.

I wonder if Langer would last and shine...yes, yes he would.

Reactions: Toookey

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu

But most of them have top end speed, that's Reece's biggest flaw if he wants to be a fullback. If he makes a break he starts getting pegged back after about 15 metres, he got the quick start but that's it.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
But most of them have top end speed, that's Reece's biggest flaw if he wants to be a fullback. If he makes a break he starts getting pegged back after about 15 metres, he got the quick start but that's it.
But how many times is that needed tho, you look at all those guys how many times have they got a break away from over halfway? Maybe 5 or 6 times combined this year.
Would absolutely love it if Reece was a speed machine but I think most tries we score would be no more try an 40m out, which he should be sweet with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings