Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Here are a few years 2019 as you mentioned and I also picked 2017 as that was a very good Roger Year

2021​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
17​
23​
Tries
4​
10​
Try Assists
6​
7​
Line Breaks
11​
12​
Tackle Breaks
81​
92​
2019​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
23​
25​
Tries
7​
8​
Try Assists
10​
5​
Line Breaks
14​
8​
2017​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
23​
16​
Tries
10​
5​
Try Assists
8​
4​
Line Breaks
16​
7​
Much more comparable stats wise with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2019 and 17 vs Manus 2019 and 21. Very even attack wise but then there is defence!

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
The only way to justify spending what we're going to have to pay to get Manu is to give him the fullback gig, which would mean moving Walsh to the halves (which is something none of us know whether he's willing to do despite it being mentioned on here frequently).

I don't buy Manu in the halves as an option. He doesn't create enough. People will be bagging him in the same way people bag Chanel Harris-Tavita except more so because he's on a mil or close to it and has expectations.

As a a centre option, I personally think its a waste of money. I'm happy with where Berry and Vailea are heading. And would mean we are paying him "centre money" instead of "spine money" which the Roosters will just be able to match.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
The only way to justify spending what we're going to have to pay to get Manu is to give him the fullback gig, which would mean moving Walsh to the halves (which is something none of us know whether he's willing to do despite it being mentioned on here frequently).

I don't buy Manu in the halves as an option. He doesn't create enough. People will be bagging him in the same way people bag Chanel Harris-Tavita except more so because he's on a mil or close to it and has expectations.

As a a centre option, I personally think its a waste of money. I'm happy with where Berry and Vailea are heading. And would mean we are paying him "centre money" instead of "spine money" which the Roosters will just be able to match.

Fullback - Manu
Centres - Berry, Vailea
Halfs - Shaun Johnson, Walsh

Where does that leave Metcalfe then?

I'm hoping that Berry turns into a player similar to Manu, there were shades of it this year and he is a similar build. He seems to have the ability to draw two players when there is no overlap and get a ball out to his winger with brute strength (though not yet at first grade). They are both strong defensively.

I'd personally prefer Manu and Berry as centres with Vailea biding his time and providing cover. Sure he might go to greener pastures. Walsh at FB, Shaun Johnson and Metcalfe/ 2019 Chanel Harris-Tavita at half.

Metcalfe and Walsh are the gaming equivalent of a glass cannon though. There is a lot points in them (and let's face it, this team needs offensive x factor), but a lot of points to concede through them too.

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
Both of the above two posts touch on a point I was about to make and spent the last twenty minutes compiling.

I am going to make the case that Manu will be at least as good a spine player as Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and he was on $1.1M so therefore Manu is worth as $1M too as a potential fullback. In addition Manu is more versatile as can play standoff as well in the spine so is a better spine asset that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.
Only one member of this forum used to question the salary value of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and that was Mr B who also as it happens is panning the salary value of Manu at a potential $1M. The rest of you though should be willing to concede the point that if Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was worth $1.1M then so might be Manu be. Manu has looked class at fullback on his occassions there and here is the stats comparison between the two players this year

2021​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
17​
23​
Tries
4​
10​
Try Assists
6​
7​
Line Breaks
11​
12​
Tackle Breaks
81​
92​
While I agree with most of your points just want to point out regarding the stats that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was playing out of position since reece got here bringing his overall stats down

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Fullback - Manu
Centres - Berry, Vailea
Halfs - Shaun Johnson, Walsh

Where does that leave Metcalfe then?

I'm hoping that Berry turns into a player similar to Manu, there were shades of it this year and he is a similar build. He seems to have the ability to draw two players when there is no overlap and get a ball out to his winger with brute strength (though not yet at first grade). They are both strong defensively.

I'd personally prefer Manu and Berry as centres with Vailea biding his time and providing cover. Sure he might go to greener pastures. Walsh at FB, Shaun Johnson and Metcalfe/ 2019 Chanel Harris-Tavita at half.

Metcalfe and Walsh are the gaming equivalent of a glass cannon though. There is a lot points in them (and let's face it, this team needs offensive x factor), but a lot of points to concede through them too.
I think we still sign Metcalf with the eye for him starting in 2024. He still needs to get his body right. Still looks like an SG ball player. I don't see us re-signing Shaun Johnson past his two year contract. For me it looks like this (and again this is all assuming Walsh is comfortable with it)

2023: 1. Manu / 6. Walsh / 7. Shaun Johnson (Backup: Metcalf)
2024: 1. Manu / 6. Walsh / 7. Metcalf

If Walsh says he only wants the number 1 jersey, then I don't think we should bother going after Manu, unless he'll come across as a centre which i doubt because Roosters could match that kind of offer and he'll likely be getting fullback money offers from Redcliffe etc

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
I think Manu would bring a lot to the Warriors. I was impressed with his leadership and versatility with all the injury problems the Roosters had this season. That would add a lot to a team that badly needs more leaders. He’s also a clever player with the ability to spot an opportunity

He’s the best centre in the game and I think he would improve others around him something that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck struggled with during his time here.

On the other hand he’s not creative enough to be an elite half and isn’t electric enough to be an elite fullback. A millions probably a 20%
overpay to me.

It’s a tough decision for recruitment to make.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Both of the above two posts touch on a point I was about to make and spent the last twenty minutes compiling.

I am going to make the case that Manu will be at least as good a spine player as Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and he was on $1.1M so therefore Manu is worth as $1M too as a potential fullback. In addition Manu is more versatile as can play standoff as well in the spine so is a better spine asset that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.
Only one member of this forum used to question the salary value of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and that was Mr B who also as it happens is panning the salary value of Manu at a potential $1M. The rest of you though should be willing to concede the point that if Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was worth $1.1M then so might be Manu be. Manu has looked class at fullback on his occassions there and here is the stats comparison between the two players this year

2021​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
17​
23​
Tries
4​
10​
Try Assists
6​
7​
Line Breaks
11​
12​
Tackle Breaks
81​
92​
but are you taking him on as full back or as centre. A mill for a centre is ludicrous. There is no way you should be paying any player in the team that much of the cap, if they either A: arent directing the play, or B: named the second coming of Joey Johns.

And honestly the only reason i didnt think Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was over paid was the training ethic and leadership he brought to the club at a time they desperately needed it.

Geoff Public

1000 Days in Oz Tour. See NRL.COM for venue dates
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
It's up to Brown to sort all that out. A repeat theme in Warriors end of season reviews was he needs to work out his top 17 and get them on the park as often as possible. If not he should be the next POS moves on.
Personally I'd have Manu as a half

Reactions: brightman

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
but are you taking him on as full back or as centre. A mill for a centre is ludicrous. There is no way you should be paying any player in the team that much of the cap, if they either A: arent directing the play, or B: named the second coming of Joey Johns.

And honestly the only reason i didnt think Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was over paid was the training ethic and leadership he brought to the club at a time they desperately needed it.
That’s my issue with Manu. What’s the value of a top flight centre/utility back?

Reactions: gREVUS

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013

Here’s another youngster maybe on development contract and mal meninga cup.

This guy is ranked higher than Zyon Maiuu by hstop200 for first XV players.

Locked in for first grade development contract in 2023 and will play for Redcliffe in 2022. Pretty big signing by the sounds of it.

Reactions: Billyspleen75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings