Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

drake83

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 14, 2013
Palmerston North
I reckon Curran could slip backwards as much as improve. A good season, but is still unproven as far as I am concerned. His last couple of games were not as good as the purple patch through the middle of the season. Aitken has potential, but far from a sure thing at 2nd row. We're a failure of a club if we can't make something of Katoa, perhaps he will play prop.

I'd like to see Katoa (off Shaun Johnson), Curran and Harris, with Ben Murdoch-Masila (sorry Bruce) and Jazz off the bench. But then Harris will miss the first half of the season. Niukore is needed. If only Murchie could sort his Burgess-like hands out. I am less than impressed with Sironen at this point.
I have seen videos of Curran back in the gym lifting
I reckon Curran could slip backwards as much as improve. A good season, but is still unproven as far as I am concerned. His last couple of games were not as good as the purple patch through the middle of the season. Aitken has potential, but far from a sure thing at 2nd row. We're a failure of a club if we can't make something of Katoa, perhaps he will play prop.

I'd like to see Katoa (off Shaun Johnson), Curran and Harris, with Ben Murdoch-Masila (sorry Bruce) and Jazz off the bench. But then Harris will miss the first half of the season. Niukore is needed. If only Murchie could sort his Burgess-like hands out. I am less than impressed with Sironen at this point.
Curran has released videos of himself working out and not out on it. Could see some small improvements if this is a sign of his professionalism

Waipiro

Warriors Bench Player
Oct 17, 2021
Tauranga, NZ
I have seen videos of Curran back in the gym lifting

Curran has released videos of himself working out and not out on it. Could see some small improvements if this is a sign of his professionalism
Thats a really good sign! He really packed on some beef in 2020 and I felt he had worked hard on his fitness and defence this year. Bodes well for next year,

Waipiro

Warriors Bench Player
Oct 17, 2021
Tauranga, NZ
i actually think that Brown is bringing in way more than he is bringing up. I dont have the numbers to back it up. But how many has he added from other clubs this year? vs how many has he brought up that havent played first grade before?
I think he has actually given quite a few young guys a shot they wouldnt have got under Kearney. Kosi, Berry, Vailea, Otukolo, etc.
He specifically didnt target loan players to give them a chance as well and I think it will speed up their development. Whether that means they will kick on is another thing but at least they got a shot earlier than expected.
You are right though that the club kept looking for deals and upgrades when they came available through out the year. Looked like a good blend of development and cap management to be fair.

Last edited:

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 1, 2015
If the kepu twins with the Laban and zion are what they think they are then losing glamuzina won't mean much?
Exactly. Ive heard alot of good things on the twins, laban and that beast zion.. not so much glamuzina so im algoods with letting him go.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Would be keen on Momorvski although I think both Berry and Vailea will be better than him next year. No stats to back that up before you all go jumping to the fox sports lab, just my take on their trajectory. Momorvski would be good competition for spots though. Would rather a centre than wing to replace Fusitua

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Exactly. Ive heard alot of good things on the twins, laban and that beast zion.. not so much glamuzina so im algoods with letting him go.
Everything I’ve heard is that he was pretty highly rated within the club. A lot of info around juniors is kept under wraps though with hardly any youth competitions due to covid, so they miss out on a ton of development.

Last edited:

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
From what I’ve seen Glamuzina’s just another Afoa, just smaller and faster. hopefully that means Ale’s staying, while we still have Maiu’u and Laban to come through. Be good to see them 3 and Katoa be the foundation of our pack the next few years.
Jyris is way more skilled and faster. The type of prop we should be going after as the game moves away from straight charging props like Bunty.

Almost can’t afford to have middles that can’t ball play these days. Tohu Harris, Lodge and Siro are good at it, the rest not so much.

I don’t think we re-sign Ale now. He’s out until mid next year if the ACL reports are true. He probably just trains with us and gets some Redcliffe game time at the backend of next year as part of our wider squad.

NZWarriorsFaithful

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2020
Jyris is way more skilled and faster. The type of prop we should be going after as the game moves away from straight charging props like Bunty.

Almost can’t afford to have middles that can’t ball play these days. Tohu Harris, Lodge and Siro are good at it, the rest not so much.

I don’t think we re-sign Ale now. He’s out until mid next year if the ACL reports are true. He probably just trains with us and gets some Redcliffe game time at the backend of next year as part of our wider squad.
hes young so he will recover faster, will come back around same time as Tohu Harris, hopefully he still gets re-signed as he's very mobile and can play anywhere in the forwards

Billyspleen75

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale
Question:
Have any players come to the Warriors due to Brown? Quite often players follow coaches, but I dont think this the case… no ex Newcastle Knights or Huddersfield players .
Hmmmmm
Well Danny Levi definitely wouldn't have come here to follow Brown.
So we can chalk that one up as a win!

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
hes young so he will recover faster, will come back around same time as Tohu Harris, hopefully he still gets re-signed as he's very mobile and can play anywhere in the forwards
Shiiit, didn’t realise Tohu Harris was out for that long.
I didn’t even realise it was an ACL. As it happened mid July, hopefully he’s on the speedier side of recoveries (usually between 6-9 months) but I appreciate even then he won’t be back to his best for some time.

Jeeze that’s a bit of a blow. Maybe we limit his game time next year. With his age and now this injury, we may have seen the best of Tohu Harris. Hope he’s still got a few good years left

Geoff Public

1000 Days in Oz Tour. See NRL.COM for venue dates
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
I didn’t even realise it was an ACL. As it happened mid July, hopefully he’s on the speedier side of recoveries (usually between 6-9 months) but I appreciate even then he won’t be back to his best for some time.

Jeeze that’s a bit of a blow. Maybe we limit his game time next year. With his age and now this injury, we may have seen the best of Tohu Harris. Hope he’s still got a few good years left
So does this mean Addin Fonua-Blake is likely to be the team Captain, at least for the early season?

Reactions: AlexM and Toookey

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland

There is also some thought that it takes a season to get confidence back and full strength in the knee etc and it’s the following season to hit full noise. Hopefully Tohu Harris is able to get back into his rhythm sooner 🤞🏾

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
There is also some thought that it takes a season to get confidence back and full strength in the knee etc and it’s the following season to hit full noise. Hopefully Tohu Harris is able to get back into his rhythm sooner 🤞🏾
hell yea, with all these one year contracts that could be coming through, we really need him on the pitch at the end of the season at 100 percent

Reactions: Worried2Death

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021

Yeah for sure - if he’s on the longer side of rehab (9mnths) he would be back late April, and assuming the season starts at a similar time to it did this year that would be between 6-8 rounds.
Far from ideal, but somewhat manageable.

Although at the same time, we’ll be missing Tohu Harris and Walsh for our first three games, plus Lodge for the first game, arguably 3 of our best 6 or so players.

Far from ideal!

Wheels

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 30, 2021
Yeah for sure - if he’s on the longer side of rehab (9mnths) he would be back late April, and assuming the season starts at a similar time to it did this year that would be between 6-8 rounds.
Far from ideal, but somewhat manageable.

Although at the same time, we’ll be missing Tohu Harris and Walsh for our first three games, plus Lodge for the first game, arguably 3 of our best 6 or so players.

Far from ideal!
What would our starting line up actually look like for game 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings