Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Brownstone

Yeah when I first heard about us looking at Manu in such a key position (fullback or half) and for a million I was surprised.

I love watching Manu play, but in terms of those positions there are better options available. Guthersona off contract, Munster soon, hell, why not throw a million at Sam Walker or Sualii, who are probably better talents in their respective positions.

I think Joey brings more though - he’s obviously very marketable and is a kiwi, I assume he’s a great trainer and also brings leadership. I think he’s a winner through and through and while he may not have as high a ceiling as some of those other players, I do think a lot of those other aspects really mean he would be a top player for us.

Best case scenario we sign him for $8-900k, which would be a steal imo
I’ve come around to liking the idea of us chasing him (just not for $1m) however I would want him to play centre, particularly so if we have signed Metcalf. Anyway unlikely Manu leaves the Roosters.

Mr Brownstone

Both of the above two posts touch on a point I was about to make and spent the last twenty minutes compiling.

I am going to make the case that Manu will be at least as good a spine player as Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and he was on $1.1M so therefore Manu is worth as $1M too as a potential fullback. In addition Manu is more versatile as can play standoff as well in the spine so is a better spine asset that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.
Only one member of this forum used to question the salary value of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and that was Mr B who also as it happens is panning the salary value of Manu at a potential $1M. The rest of you though should be willing to concede the point that if Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was worth $1.1M then so might be Manu be. Manu has looked class at fullback on his occassions there and here is the stats comparison between the two players this year

2021​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
17​
23​
Tries
4​
10​
Try Assists
6​
7​
Line Breaks
11​
12​
Tackle Breaks
81​
92​
How about compare Manu’s stats to an elite $1m fullback rather than just an overpaid one. I appreciate he played centre for much of the year however Manu will never create opportunities like Teddy, Turbo, Pappy and even the next tier down like Gutho.

Toookey

Toookey

How about compare Manu’s stats to an elite $1m fullback rather than just an overpaid one. I appreciate he played centre for much of the year however Manu will never create opportunities like Teddy, Turbo, Pappy and even the next tier down like Gutho.
I dunno, he scored 10 and set 7 up in 2021. It’s not unfathomable that with more space created for him as a full back he’s able to add another 10 or so.
This year has been a huge anomaly, looking at last year Teddy, Latrell, Pap, Gutho and a few of the better full backs, 19 was the top for try assists.

I think he can get there. Will he be in the top echelon like Turbo and Teddy - maybe not, but there’s nothing to suggest he couldn’t make it as a consistently top full back

Wheels

I dunno, he scored 10 and set 7 up in 2021. It’s not unfathomable that with more space created for him as a full back he’s able to add another 10 or so.
This year has been a huge anomaly, looking at last year Teddy, Latrell, Pap, Gutho and a few of the better full backs, 19 was the top for try assists.

I think he can get there. Will he be in the top echelon like Turbo and Teddy - maybe not, but there’s nothing to suggest he couldn’t make it as a consistently top full back
Turbo & Teddy are 2 of the 3 best players in the game. They are always improving and if Manu is not at that level I would take him over Paps & Gutho marginally.

PullinTeeth

PullinTeeth

As big a fan that I am of Manu, theres no way I'd be happy with a 1mil pricetag.
I like Berry and Vailea as our long term centers, but if they plan to keep Aitken in the forwards then the the only options of Berry, Vailea, Pompey and Montoya in the centres for the next year gives me big yikes.
If we did sign Manu at the right price and got him for next year then I'd give him a year in the centres while managing Berry and Vailea.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Here are a few years 2019 as you mentioned and I also picked 2017 as that was a very good Roger Year

2021​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
17​
23​
Tries
4​
10​
Try Assists
6​
7​
Line Breaks
11​
12​
Tackle Breaks
81​
92​
2019​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
23​
25​
Tries
7​
8​
Try Assists
10​
5​
Line Breaks
14​
8​
2017​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
23​
16​
Tries
10​
5​
Try Assists
8​
4​
Line Breaks
16​
7​
Much more comparable stats wise with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2019 and 17 vs Manus 2019 and 21. Very even attack wise but then there is defence!

Five&Last

Five&Last

The only way to justify spending what we're going to have to pay to get Manu is to give him the fullback gig, which would mean moving Walsh to the halves (which is something none of us know whether he's willing to do despite it being mentioned on here frequently).

I don't buy Manu in the halves as an option. He doesn't create enough. People will be bagging him in the same way people bag Chanel Harris-Tavita except more so because he's on a mil or close to it and has expectations.

As a a centre option, I personally think its a waste of money. I'm happy with where Berry and Vailea are heading. And would mean we are paying him "centre money" instead of "spine money" which the Roosters will just be able to match.

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
The only way to justify spending what we're going to have to pay to get Manu is to give him the fullback gig, which would mean moving Walsh to the halves (which is something none of us know whether he's willing to do despite it being mentioned on here frequently).

I don't buy Manu in the halves as an option. He doesn't create enough. People will be bagging him in the same way people bag Chanel Harris-Tavita except more so because he's on a mil or close to it and has expectations.

As a a centre option, I personally think its a waste of money. I'm happy with where Berry and Vailea are heading. And would mean we are paying him "centre money" instead of "spine money" which the Roosters will just be able to match.

Fullback - Manu
Centres - Berry, Vailea
Halfs - Shaun Johnson, Walsh

Where does that leave Metcalfe then?

I'm hoping that Berry turns into a player similar to Manu, there were shades of it this year and he is a similar build. He seems to have the ability to draw two players when there is no overlap and get a ball out to his winger with brute strength (though not yet at first grade). They are both strong defensively.

I'd personally prefer Manu and Berry as centres with Vailea biding his time and providing cover. Sure he might go to greener pastures. Walsh at FB, Shaun Johnson and Metcalfe/ 2019 Chanel Harris-Tavita at half.

Metcalfe and Walsh are the gaming equivalent of a glass cannon though. There is a lot points in them (and let's face it, this team needs offensive x factor), but a lot of points to concede through them too.

J_P

Both of the above two posts touch on a point I was about to make and spent the last twenty minutes compiling.

I am going to make the case that Manu will be at least as good a spine player as Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and he was on $1.1M so therefore Manu is worth as $1M too as a potential fullback. In addition Manu is more versatile as can play standoff as well in the spine so is a better spine asset that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.
Only one member of this forum used to question the salary value of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and that was Mr B who also as it happens is panning the salary value of Manu at a potential $1M. The rest of you though should be willing to concede the point that if Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was worth $1.1M then so might be Manu be. Manu has looked class at fullback on his occassions there and here is the stats comparison between the two players this year

2021​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
17​
23​
Tries
4​
10​
Try Assists
6​
7​
Line Breaks
11​
12​
Tackle Breaks
81​
92​
While I agree with most of your points just want to point out regarding the stats that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was playing out of position since reece got here bringing his overall stats down

Five&Last

Five&Last

Fullback - Manu
Centres - Berry, Vailea
Halfs - Shaun Johnson, Walsh

Where does that leave Metcalfe then?

I'm hoping that Berry turns into a player similar to Manu, there were shades of it this year and he is a similar build. He seems to have the ability to draw two players when there is no overlap and get a ball out to his winger with brute strength (though not yet at first grade). They are both strong defensively.

I'd personally prefer Manu and Berry as centres with Vailea biding his time and providing cover. Sure he might go to greener pastures. Walsh at FB, Shaun Johnson and Metcalfe/ 2019 Chanel Harris-Tavita at half.

Metcalfe and Walsh are the gaming equivalent of a glass cannon though. There is a lot points in them (and let's face it, this team needs offensive x factor), but a lot of points to concede through them too.
I think we still sign Metcalf with the eye for him starting in 2024. He still needs to get his body right. Still looks like an SG ball player. I don't see us re-signing Shaun Johnson past his two year contract. For me it looks like this (and again this is all assuming Walsh is comfortable with it)

2023: 1. Manu / 6. Walsh / 7. Shaun Johnson (Backup: Metcalf)
2024: 1. Manu / 6. Walsh / 7. Metcalf

If Walsh says he only wants the number 1 jersey, then I don't think we should bother going after Manu, unless he'll come across as a centre which i doubt because Roosters could match that kind of offer and he'll likely be getting fullback money offers from Redcliffe etc

Dunedin warrior

I think Manu would bring a lot to the Warriors. I was impressed with his leadership and versatility with all the injury problems the Roosters had this season. That would add a lot to a team that badly needs more leaders. He’s also a clever player with the ability to spot an opportunity

He’s the best centre in the game and I think he would improve others around him something that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck struggled with during his time here.

On the other hand he’s not creative enough to be an elite half and isn’t electric enough to be an elite fullback. A millions probably a 20%
overpay to me.

It’s a tough decision for recruitment to make.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor

2021​
Roger Tuivasa-SheckManu
Games
17​
23​
Tries
4​
10​
Try Assists
6​
7​
Line Breaks
11​
12​
Tackle Breaks
81​
92​
but are you taking him on as full back or as centre. A mill for a centre is ludicrous. There is no way you should be paying any player in the team that much of the cap, if they either A: arent directing the play, or B: named the second coming of Joey Johns.

And honestly the only reason i didnt think Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was over paid was the training ethic and leadership he brought to the club at a time they desperately needed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.