Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim burgess

Even if the club is paying 50% of Fusitua contract it is a good deal for both parties.

Sometimes in life you need to move on and at 27 years old he only has possibly 5 years left in his career, another 2 years of playing of a squad player only could have finished career completely. The move to ESL may even prolong his career by a season or two.

Reactions: 3 users
mrblonde

mrblonde

It will be interesting to see what they do with Shaun Johnson next year - do we try to manage his work load in the early months? Do we only play him against the weak teams as that’s where we’ll likely get the most use out of him (I.e he’s likely to help us to a win over Canberra, Doggies etc then to win a game against Panthers, Storm), or do we simply play him until he breaks?

Either way it’s great to have one of the halves who produce the most try assists and forced drop outs in the league over the last few years.
Given our lack of finals appearances, I don't think we can really afford to leave our big recruit for the big games only. Certainly not at the start, anyway. If we get off to a good start - and, of course, we don't know who that start will be against, as the draw hasn't been released - then maybe we become a bit more selective about who Shaun lines up against. Also, if Chanel or whoever takes over from Shuan proves to be not up to the mark at all, let alone as good as Shaun, that limits options...

Reactions: 4 users
Toookey

Toookey

Given our lack of finals appearances, I don't think we can really afford to leave our big recruit for the big games only. Certainly not at the start, anyway. If we get off to a good start - and, of course, we don't know who that start will be against, as the draw hasn't been released - then maybe we become a bit more selective about who Shaun lines up against. Also, if Chanel or whoever takes over from Shuan proves to be not up to the mark at all, let alone as good as Shaun, that limits options...
Yeah I get ya. To be honest it’s a decision that I’m glad I don’t have to make. I do have a sneaky feeling he’s going to pull a Kieran Foran and play almost a full season, but it’s still something they need to consider.

Do we let Shaun Johnson go for it, play the first 14 games against everyone before getting injured, helping us win 8 out of those 14 games.

or, cherry pick and rest Shaun Johnson against some of the heavyweights in order to prolong his season, playing 14 of the first 20 games, helping us to 12 out of those 14 games and putting us in a better place to get towards the finals.

I dunno, both have their merits

Reactions: 2 users

JaggedJ

If you rest him you rest him against teams you believe you can beat without him.

As a coaching staff what a horrible morale destroying message to hand-pick a bunch of games and essentially go "you guys aren't good enough to beat them so we're resting Shaun Johnson".

Reactions: 9 users
Wrighty

Wrighty

Johnson is our 2022 and 2023 seasons. He fires and we go far. Probably top 6.
He gets injured in the first game and pencil us in for the wooden spoon.

• Haha
  • Wow
Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Until we're guarenteed a finals spot and their injury free we cant afford not to play our best players.....we're not that good.......make that 8 then maybe we can cherry pick games to rest dudes....until then we'll need all hands on deck.

Reactions: 8 users
ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

Select & play the strongest team you can put on the field every week.

Reactions: 15 users

Wheels

Johnson is our 2022 and 2023 seasons. He fires and we go far. Probably top 6.
He gets injured in the first game and pencil us in for the wooden spoon.
I hope Johnson will be the asset you think he is. However, I feel that it is a group of players playing consistently week in and week out and he is just one of those. If we can withstand defensive pressure and apply pressure consistently, if we don't have too many injuries and if we don't get penalised too much (jazz & lodge) and if we get another outside back such as Metcalf then i think we are a top 8 side.

Reactions: 1 user
Wrighty

Wrighty

I hope Johnson will be the asset you think he is. However, I feel that it is a group of players playing consistently week in and week out and he is just one of those. If we can withstand defensive pressure and apply pressure consistently, if we don't have too many injuries and if we don't get penalised too much (jazz & lodge) and if we get another outside back such as Metcalf then i think we are a top 8 side.
From my cricket experience adding a premier player such as an international player to your team (We were able to add a team Canada player to our side for 6 matches) has a double effect. One it adds the premier level of that player to the mix, Secondly that premier players replaces a weak link in the side. So you add an asset and subtract a liability.
Adding a premier player is a double improvement to the roster in my observation because of this dynamic.

Reactions: 4 users

Wheels

From my cricket experience adding a premier player such as an international player to your team (We were able to add a team Canada player to our side for 6 matches) has a double effect. One it adds the premier level of that player to the mix, Secondly that premier players replaces a weak link in the side. So you add an asset and subtract a liability.
Adding a premier player is a double improvement to the roster in my observation because of this dynamic.
I hope so...but still think our roster needs to be improved slightly before I can confidently say we are a top 6 side. Remember, the rosters on most teams will be improved next year even the Bulldogs who have become perennial tail enders recently will be competitive with their signings & Gould.

Reactions: 3 users
Greenlite

Greenlite

Shaun Johnson can have some kind of rest regime like the All Blacks, play 3 rest 1 or something.

Especially if we can have Taylor and Metcalf

Not gonna be the end of the world if he gets injured, as shown by Chad he didn’t win a game playing but when he’s mentoring from the side, Sean O'Sullivan etc improved very well

playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
If we can't find an established 1st grade prop to replace Evans, should we look at Lachlan Timm?

He's trained with the Warriors and is one of the best props in the QRL Cup. Would be fairly cheap and would give 100%.

Reactions: 10 users
defensivebomb

defensivebomb

If we can't find an established 1st grade prop to replace Evans, should we look at Lachlan Timm?

He's trained with the Warriors and is one of the best props in the QRL Cup. Would be fairly cheap and would give 100%.
I don’t think we could ever truly replace Evans. That player was one of a kind. He managed to squeeze in the best lowlights reel I’ve ever seen a player do in such a short space of time.

Remarkable

Not sure if Timms offers the same unique skillset and brains. Hopefully not

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
Defence

Defence

I don’t think we could ever truly replace Evans. That player was one of a kind. He managed to squeeze in the best lowlights reel I’ve ever seen a player do in such a short space of time.

Remarkable

Not sure if Timms offers the same unique skillset and brains. Hopefully not
He made mad jack look quite sane.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
BeastMode

BeastMode

Cheers

I will post them as I am engaged by this debate

The one and only "Chanel Harris-Tavita" 2021
11 games
Average Kicking metres 194
Tries 2
Forced Drop Outs 5
Try Assists 2
Line Break Assists 1
Tackle Efficiency 90%
2 try assists and 1 line break for a half in 11 games is disgraceful …

Should be aiming for those stats in one game … but eleven???? fucking hell….

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Shaun Johnson can have some kind of rest regime like the All Blacks, play 3 rest 1 or something.

Especially if we can have Taylor and Metcalf

Not gonna be the end of the world if he gets injured, as shown by Chad he didn’t win a game playing but when he’s mentoring from the side, Sean O'Sullivan etc improved very well
actually i think the key thing is that if he does get injured, i hope that they dont play him. Seen this to often over the years and it never ends well.

Toookey

Toookey

2 try assists and 1 line break for a half in 11 games is disgraceful …

Should be aiming for those stats in one game … but eleven???? fucking hell….
Shhh mate with that kind of chat you’ll have half the forum on to you.

I mean…he’s good at defence isn’t that enough for you?!

Next we’ll be paying props to make meters up the middle, or wingers to finish off a play…

• Haha
AlexM

AlexM

Shhh mate with that kind of chat you’ll have half the forum on to you.

I mean…he’s good at defence isn’t that enough for you?!

Next we’ll be paying props to make meters up the middle, or wingers to finish off a play…
Here's a stat for all you stat lovers then

"

It’s no coincidence the Warriors averaged 20.2 points per game with Harris-Tavita on the field (22.3 per game if we ignore the horror Round 25 loss to the Titans) compared with 17.6 points per game with him off it."

Source = https://rugbyleaguewriters.com/nrl-2021/nrl-2021-new-zealand-warriors-season-review/

You guys must watch the try highlights and not much else

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.