Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
The stats are pretty conclusive Wrighty, however I can’t be bothered posting them and then getting the typical ‘stats don’t mean anything’ response.
Cheers

I will post them as I am engaged by this debate

Ash Taylor 2021
16 games
Average kicking meters 156
Tries 2
Forced Drop outs 8
Try Assists 9
Line Break Assists 10
Tackle Efficiency 84%

The one and only "Chanel Harris-Tavita" 2021
11 games
Average Kicking metres 194
Tries 2
Forced Drop Outs 5
Try Assists 2
Line Break Assists 1
Tackle Efficiency 90%

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
In the radio interview with POS last week he was very enthusiastic about Ash Taylor’s kicking game being one of the best in the comp and suggested that he could form a solid 1-2 split with Shaun Johnson. It sounds like he has to meet some weight and fitness goals to kick in the contract proper which he expected to be a forgone conclusion. This guy is playing for his future. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up starting.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
I don't disagree with that. I think the best player should be picked.

But i think that whoever is pulling the strings at the club doesn't rate Taylor as highly as you do just based on their moves so far, for example
- Why not get Taylor straight into the top 30?
- Why not let Chanel take up a starting spot at the Raiders if he's a Lolohea/Hingano level player so many on here suggest?
Those are pretty easy questions to answer being objective.

Taylor has work ons he needs to achieve. Weight and possibly health wise. Is coming off a big contract and is currently in the unknown - however if he plays as he did this year he is still a massive improve on Chanel Harris-Tavita

Letting Chanel Harris-Tavita go and only having Shaun Johnson (walking injury) and Kodi (pea heart) is terrible management. We don’t have terrible management.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
They don't rate him as much as you do but thats okay
It’s okay if you’re full of shit, but just say so.

If you don’t like Ash, or think Chanel Harris-Tavita is better that’s all good.

Just dont talk about being objective, and then be all like “why could they possibly have put Ash on a train and trial contract, it means they don’t rate him”. Clearly bs lol

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
It’s okay if you’re full of shit, but just say so.

If you don’t like Ash, or think Chanel Harris-Tavita is better that’s all good.

Just dont talk about being objective, and then be all like “why could they possibly have put Ash on a train and trial contract, it means they don’t rate him”. Clearly bs lol
Everything I said in the original comment (not addressed to you) was objectively fact.

Since you‘ve chimed in it’s gone on a completely unrelated tangent (not surprising from you) around who is the better player.

Bro I don’t care who you think is the better player.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Everything I said in the original comment (not addressed to you) was objectively fact.

Since you‘ve chimed in it’s gone on a completely unrelated tangent (not surprising from you) around who you think is the better player.

Bro I don’t care who you think is the better player.
I’ve literally said who ever plays the best during preseason will get it 😂

Show me where I said Ash would be there round 1?

I said statistically Ash and Kodi have been better than Chanel Harris-Tavita the last few years. Show me that I’m wrong. Pretty sure you can’t.

Youve cherry picked old articles and are making (subjective) claims that because Warriors wouldn’t release Chanel Harris-Tavita, or because Ash is on a train and trial that you know why.

Come on bro, live in the objective, like you asked others to 😂

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I’ve literally said who ever plays the best during preseason will get it 😂

Show me where I said Ash would be there round 1?

I said statistically Ash and Kodi have been better than Chanel Harris-Tavita the last few years. Show me that I’m wrong. Pretty sure you can’t.

Youve cherry picked old articles and are making (subjective) claims that because Warriors wouldn’t release Chanel Harris-Tavita, or because Ash is on a train and trial that you know why.

Come on bro, live in the objective, like you asked others to 😂
Cherry picked older articles 😂

The article is a month old and says Chanel will be partnering Shaun Johnson. I would’ve included other articles if there were any I’ve read that said otherwise.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
To complete the halves stat attack here is Kodi

Kodi had a decent year stats wise. Surprised some teams aren't kicking his tires from a depth option perspective.

Le Kodi 2021
21 Games
Tries 4
Average Kicking Metres 146
Forced Drop outs 8
Goal Kicking 80.8%
Try Assists 11
Line Break Assists 12
Tackle Efficiency 88%

Peewee

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 20, 2020
"He is an important figure for 2022"
"He will team up in the halves with Shaun Johnson"

Its pretty obvious he's going to be given first crack as the starter (to prove he deserves a contract), which is what this discussion is about to begin with.

If Ash was any chance of starting round 1, he would be straight in our top 30.
Plenty of time for that

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
And here is Shaun just to complete the comparisons

Shaun Johnson 2021
Games Only 10 (that's a worry!!!!)
Average Kicking Metres 371
Goal Kicking Conversation Rate 90%
Forced Drop outs 15 (in only ten games)
Try Assists 5
Line Break Assists 8
Tackle Efficiency 83%
I know a lot of people are putting a lot of hope in his return but looking at this I worry that what we get back is pretty much what we had before but older and more injured. A mid/long range kicker, that shovels the pass on rather than gets tackled with the ball and is unlikely to break the line.

BTW he scored 1 try, which put him equal with Kodi given he played half the games. Although Kodi wasnt on the field a lot towards the end of the season but i still figure the stats are still very similar.

Also does Reece fill the role of a long range kicker? i couldnt find his avg kick distances. Lastly does the long range kick have the importance it once did with the significant rule changes? could it be that players easier penetration into the oppositions 40 has dictated that most players are now kicking for more accuracy and less distance?

Reactions: Wrighty

DavidMcKay1974

Warriors 1st Grader
Aug 28, 2013
The stats are pretty conclusive Wrighty, however I can’t be bothered posting them and then getting the typical ‘stats don’t mean anything’ response.
I disagree with that, but I'm not disagreeing with you. Stats mean a whole deal of shit and that's what coaches use when it comes to selecting squads the world over when it comes to every single sports.

If you are having an off day the stats say so.

If you are having an off month the stats say so. The coach will then begin to plan whether that player is in a rut.

If you are having an off first quarter of the season the stats say so and then the coach has to react faster and if it's affecting the team then he has to change things up to get things back in action.

So then another person comes in with better stats, maybe sooner than a quarter of the season, and he plays a blinder and takes over. The stats says alot.

I was keeping an eye on the NRL stats checker for every player and found that Luiciano Leilua, (Joey's brother) was constantly getting around 50 and above points whilst playing for the Tigers and he was performing well in a weak team.

The stats say a lot.

So if someone says 'stats don't mean anything' they are bull shitting and they don't know anything themselves.

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
Teams, especially struggling teams don’t let gun young halves go. Letting Chanel Harris-Tavita test the market makes it pretty clear that the team are prepared to lose him if he wants more than what they see him as worth. Truthfully he isn’t likely to have a huge amount of other teams fighting for him. He’s a half who’s most exciting feature is the odd big hit, which is cool but not really what’s needed from a half. He’s at the bottom end of solid and a far way away from great or arguably even good.
i have a sneaky feeling we as fans are so over the rotation of superstar young halves we have pinned our hopes on, that rather than turning on the guy when he doesn’t turn out to be the next Thurston like we have with the last bunch, we have gone easy on Chanel Harris-Tavita as at least he can tackle and seems to put in 100% effort each week. Yet truthfully he’s never shown much above low end journeyman so far.
I think it’s safe to say the team aren’t banking on him as a long term option, however of course they would be stoked if he turned out to be. If anyone showed a bit of promise I’d say they would be picked over Chanel Harris-Tavita currently.

Taylor has shown he could be great. You don’t get a big dollar contract like he did without showing something however has been a massive let down and has injury issues. You don’t slide all the way to a Warriors train and a trial without some underwhelming performances.

The fact that no team, including the Warriors have locked either player down says a lot about both.
I think the Warriors feel neither is ideal but don’t have any better options so are just praying one of them kicks on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings