Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
If you take opinions out of it and look at it objectively, Ash Taylor is on a train and trial contract (they haven't trusted him with a top 30 spot straight away) while Chanel Harris-Tavita has been told he cannot leave this season unless we have a replacement. All the reports have said they want to see how Chanel Harris-Tavita meshes with Shaun Johnson to start the year, hence why they haven't offered any extension.

If you look at all that and think Taylor will be starting round 1, then I want what your smoking.

Of course form and injuries may change that as the season goes on.
Bro Chanel Harris-Tavita wasn’t told he can’t leave because he’s a huge cog. It would have been ridiculous management by us to only have Kodi ‘pea heart’ Nikorima and Shaun ‘injury’ Johnson as the only options in the half.

Management only gave Ash a train and trail. You have to say that management have largely got it right especially with our halves. Being objective as you say, Ash has shown more than Chanel Harris-Tavita has in the last few years and if that continues to happen, he would start over Chanel Harris-Tavita. There’s no denying that by looking at the stats, it’s a mismatch.

But, I’m more than happy to have Ash, Chanel Harris-Tavita and Kodi fight it out in preseason and see who comes out on top. Let’s not count Kodi out - when he’s on form and going well, he’s actually probably my preferred option as he’s got a great running game.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Are you on drugs or just old age?

while I like Taylor he, like Shaun Johnson are not reliable week in week out halves.

Fall back is Kodi and Chanel Harris-Tavita and we’ve already seen what those two produce when on the field ….

I can’t see much progress being made in 2022, too many gaps in key roles ie halves and hooker but I’d happily eat humble pie if wrong..
So you are saying Taylor and Shaun Johnson won't be the starting halves?

As you seem to agree that the fallback is Kodi and Chanel Harris-Tavita?

Last edited:

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
When your status at the club is "won't let you go until we have a replacement" I'm not so sure your status is all that rock solid.

We know Taylor is a one year rental, Chanel Harris-Tavita is in a weird prove it or lose it point.

I really don't think either of them is plan A.
Metcalf is plan A however unlikely we can get him for next season

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Bro Chanel Harris-Tavita wasn’t told he can’t leave because he’s a huge cog. It would have been ridiculous management by us to only have Kodi ‘pea heart’ Nikorima and Shaun ‘injury’ Johnson as the only options in the half.
"He is an important figure for 2022"
"He will team up in the halves with Shaun Johnson"

Its pretty obvious he's going to be given first crack as the starter (to prove he deserves a contract), which is what this discussion is about to begin with.

If Ash was any chance of starting round 1, he would be straight in our top 30.

Reactions: Kestrel84 and AlexM

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
"He is an important figure for 2022"
"He will team up in the halves with Shaun Johnson"

Its pretty obvious he's going to be given first crack as the starter (to prove he deserves a contract), which is what this discussion is about to begin with.
Check the date of the quote and who we had signed at that point.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Check the date of the quote and who we had signed at that point.
Cameron George confirmed meeting with Ash Taylor way before that story was published.

If you're so confident of him starting round 1, why doesn't POS share the same confidence? It's not like we don't have a spare top 30 spot to give him straight away...

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
First off, no one should be guaranteed a starting position for rd1 this far out That would be crazy for any Coach to do that..

Shaun Johnson will have a big effect on the structure and shapes of the team. Chanel Harris-Tavita can hardly fail to improve being in an organised system. If he and Shaun Johnson start another positive is two Halves with good defence.

Ash Taylor has as good a kicking game in the NRL as anybody, he could easily combine well with Shaun Johnson, but for me his value will happen if and when Shaun Johnson is injured. He still has to get that contract though

Nikorima and maybe Chanel Harris-Tavita will also cover 14 if one of the Hookers go down. I don't think the return of Shaun Johnson has been truly processed yet. He seems really committed to achieve success.

Players like Nikorima and SO'S have been really involved, but Shaun Johnson is really committed. To appreciate the difference think bacon and eggs, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Cameron George confirmed meeting with Ash Taylor way before that story was published.

If you're so confident of him starting round 1, why doesn't POS share the same confidence? It's not like we don't have a spare top 30 spot to give him straight away...
Yeah I dunno man, earlier on you spoke about being objective, and then have cherry picked an old article that supports your argument but ignore other points in that same article about how Chanel Harris-Tavita isn’t currently seen as a long term prospect for u. You do you bro.

The reality is we have three halves who likely won’t be with us past 2022 fighting it out for the spot next to Shaun Johnson. Who ever preforms there best will be there rd 1

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014

POS would probably throw half the squad on trial & train if he could, I certainly would. They aren’t in any hurry to resign Chanel Harris-Tavita, so clearly he’s no lock for anything next season.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
You are confused. All good, it can happen at times.

I want to chime in because I am finding today's discussion top drawer and I like meta discussions about discussions.
I disagree with your above synposis and think the Cool has used an advanced framing technique to categorise the Ash Taylor vs Chanel Harris-Tavita for round one discussion as Subjective vs Objective.
The recommended come back from a debating perspective is to hang someone by their own petard. This could be done in this instance if you can argue that your view is objective by citing blindingly obvious 2021 statistics that show Ash Taylor even in the past mediocre year is a class above Chanel Harris-Tavita and "objectively" better.
My other minor point while making meta observation is that objective decision making process is appropriate in some circumstances but not all. I would conjecture than when selecting a sporting team a subjective approach should be used 90% of the time.
Those are my comments from the peanut stands. I thoroughly enjoyed the debate between two forum heavy weights!!! :) Great posting today.

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
We are not talking about Chanel Harris-Tavita as a long term prospect. We are talking about who's starting round 1.
So Chanel Harris-Tavita is quite possibly not a long term prospect and the likely scenario is we have both him and Taylor in our squad to pick from come round 1 next year. Don’t you pick the best player?

I’m not suggesting Taylor is an elite half - he should be, however he hasn’t got close to his potential so far in his career. However he’s still comfortably better than what we’ve seen from Chanel Harris-Tavita to date.

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
I want to chime in because I am finding today's discussion top drawer and I like meta discussions about discussions.
I disagree with your above synposis and think the Cool has used an advanced framing technique to categorise the Ash Taylor vs Chanel Harris-Tavita for round one discussion as Subjective vs Objective.
The recommended come back from a debating perspective is to hang someone by their own petard. This could be done in this instance if you can argue that your view is objective by citing blindingly obvious 2021 statistics that show Ash Taylor even in the past mediocre year is a class above Chanel Harris-Tavita and "objectively" better.
My other minor point while making meta observation is that objective decision making process is appropriate in some circumstances but not all. I would conjecture than when selecting a sporting team a subjective approach should be used 90% of the time.
Those are my comments from the peanut stands. I thoroughly enjoyed the debate between two forum heavy weights!!! :) Great posting today.
The stats are pretty conclusive Wrighty, however I can’t be bothered posting them and then getting the typical ‘stats don’t mean anything’ response.

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
So Chanel Harris-Tavita is quite possibly not a long term prospect and the likely scenario is we have both him and Taylor in our squad to pick from come round 1 next year. Don’t you pick the best player?

I’m not suggesting Taylor is an elite half - he should be, however he hasn’t got close to his potential so far in his career. However he’s still comfortably better than what we’ve seen from Chanel Harris-Tavita to date.
I think Taylor's hips a bit fucked too , couldn't play the whole season anyway. I heard that he needs injections in it, so he is a great person to have for maybe 10 games Max.
POS sort of inferred in his radio interview that Shaun Johnson is great but realistically he usually plays like 18 games and they want the whole season obviously but if he gets a calf strain or some shit we have a half of Ash's calibre to fill the hole rather than a Sean O'Sullivan

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013

I don't disagree with that. I think the best player should be picked.

But i think that whoever is pulling the strings at the club doesn't rate Taylor as highly as you do just based on their moves so far, for example
- Why not get Taylor straight into the top 30?
- Why not let Chanel take up a starting spot at the Raiders if he's a Lolohea/Hingano level player so many on here suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings