Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Ive got no farken idea what jazz will deliver most the time- rocks and diamonds I reckon- could be a real point of difference in our pack this year tho- he’ll be licking his lips knowing Evans, Addin Fonua-Blake and bmm will all have his back.
There’s been times I’ve cringed when he’s come on but actually looking forward to seeing him play this year.
I often agree with your perspective - but struggling with this one lol.

If Jazz’s pluckiness was hard to take before he had decent back up - we should be prepared for overdrive!

The cringing is on big time I fear...

Last edited:

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Good post as always

I don’t mean to contradict your points, only replying as want to continue on Curran and you were last to post.

I went to intermediate around 1983. So in the language of the day “Curran is going to be a choice player”

He is mega gifted from an offensive perspective. Yes he is poor defensively but his problems are not incurable.
We must retain him. And he must be given some first grade time this year. If another team gets him it will be CNK all over again.

Curran's problem is he doesn't really fit anywhere at the moment.

Doesn't have the speed or mobility for second row. His bad defensive efforts were outside Kodi who is an easy target. If he chooses to come in and help Kodi he just gets burned on the outside.

Doesn't have the size or aggression for an out and out prop.

His best attacking ability is his hole running and support play. He'd be dangerous running off short balls and quick ptb in the middle.

Unfortunately that leaves his best position at lock imo. With Harris, Tevaga and now Sironen all on board I don't see us putting him in the best spot to succeed while he's here.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland

If Jazz’s pluckiness was hard to take before he had decent back up - we should be prepared for overdrive!

The crying is on big time I fear...
Yep, was found out big time last year. Made to look stupid by Nathan Brown for being a Nathan Brown!
However if he just shut his mouth and played hard like Shawn Blore did against Brown then he'd most likely offer lots to the team effort towards winning..

Ohgeelowk

Warriors Bench Player
Nov 24, 2020
Yep, was found out big time last year. Made to look stupid by Nathan Brown for being a Nathan Brown!
However if he just shut his mouth and played hard like Shawn Blore did against Brown then he'd most likely offer lots to the team effort towards winning..
I’ve seen guys get away with what jazz did to Nathan brown 10 times out of 10, first time I’ve ever seen someone get sent to the bin for pushing someone off them and making contact with the face. If that’s a sin bin, then I better see that happen every time. Besides the fact he got sin binned, I loved the back and forth between them.

geepee

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 27, 2016
Curran's problem is he doesn't really fit anywhere at the moment.

Doesn't have the speed or mobility for second row. His bad defensive efforts were outside Kodi who is an easy target. If he chooses to come in and help Kodi he just gets burned on the outside.

Doesn't have the size or aggression for an out and out prop.

His best attacking ability is his hole running and support play. He'd be dangerous running off short balls and quick ptb in the middle.

Unfortunately that leaves his best position at lock imo. With Harris, Tevaga and now Sironen all on board I don't see us putting him in the best spot to succeed while he's
i think you will see a lot more remember new coach will have new ideas and combos and with no spot safe if they prepeared to do the hard yards took a while for murch to gain starting slot and there were doubters give him a shot and i think you be surprised lets face it very few front rowers have good d even some of the very best dont

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
i think you will see a lot more remember new coach will have new ideas and combos and with no spot safe if they prepeared to do the hard yards took a while for murch to gain starting slot and there were doubters give him a shot and i think you be surprised lets face it very few front rowers have good d even some of the very best dont

Every coach in the history of coaching says "no spot is safe". At this point it's meaningless.

Murchie came over at the very beginning of the year and grew into his role.

Curran has been here for two years and hasn't outshone the incumbents.

geepee

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 27, 2016
Every coach in the history of coaching says "no spot is safe". At this point it's meaningless.

Murchie came over at the very beginning of the year and grew into his role.

Curran has been here for two years and hasn't outshone the incumbents.
yeah but in his case he was only under intrust contract first year here now he's full time

we have picked ex warriors jnr Vaka Sikahele from gc jnrs who is a talented hooker who will be with the bears next season where they suggest he be on fulltime contract with main squad

Last edited:
Reactions: Worried2Death

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012

The crying is on big time I fear...
Haha that’s what I mean- it was hard to watch the chiwawa barking away at the big dogs but now he has a whole pound backing him up it may not be so cringe worthy.
Maybe....?

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Not sure how old this is... but posted by the Mole today

TITANS PINCH WARRIORS YOUNG GUN

The Warriors have lost one of their best young forwards to the Titans.

Vaka Sikahele, an 18-year-old hooker who can also play lock, was a standout for the Warriors in the SG Ball last year and has also represented the Kiwis at under-18 level, captaining NZ Schools.

He is expected to play with Burleigh Bears this year before stepping up to the first grade squad in 2022.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
I’ve seen guys get away with what jazz did to Nathan brown 10 times out of 10, first time I’ve ever seen someone get sent to the bin for pushing someone off them and making contact with the face. If that’s a sin bin, then I better see that happen every time. Besides the fact he got sin binned, I loved the back and forth between them.
I agree with everything you say BUT we still lost in no small part to Tevaga's attitude..

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 1, 2015
Only warrior players get sent to the bin for that.

KIWI7195

Waterboy
May 24, 2016
I don't doubt he's possibly a reasonable squad filler, but i'm yet to see anything that says he should be anywhere near the 17. The shape he was in last season was extremely poor for a first grader, really irked me seeing that.

All I remember from him was when he sat Nathan Brown on hiss ass against the eels, haha

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
North Shore

Vaka Sikahele, an 18-year-old hooker who can also play lock, was a standout for the Warriors in the SG Ball last year and has also represented the Kiwis at under-18 level, captaining NZ Schools.

He is expected to play with Burleigh Bears this year before stepping up to the first grade squad in 2022.
Taniela Otukolo is our best young hooker, so he's likely being blocked for a spot here.
He seems to be rated highly
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2019/08/29/vaka-sikahele-a-player-to-watch/

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013

Was back up to Taniela Otukolo in SG ball last year. Not a huge loss. Otukolo is 10x the talent.

Ohgeelowk

Warriors Bench Player
Nov 24, 2020
I agree with everything you say BUT we still lost in no small part to Tevaga's attitude..
While I agree being down to 12 men for ten minutes didn’t help our case, I don’t agree it was his attitude. He was getting the bois fired up, even I felt like running it straight in te backyard with the bro. A poor decision from grant Atkins had more of a contribution. I have no problem that being a sin bin though, but I would like to see more consistency.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings