Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I don't doubt he's possibly a reasonable squad filler, but i'm yet to see anything that says he should be anywhere near the 17. The shape he was in last season was extremely poor for a first grader, really irked me seeing that.
Agree, with players that young that are in the top 30, you wan't to see some potential worth investing in. I don't really see anything with him.

Confusingly, he seems to be a 'work horse' type player but clearly doesn't have the work ethic to match, as evidenced by him taking a full season to get close to being in game ready shape. He was taken off the injury list in the early rounds last year and even when he got a go in the late rounds he still looked overweight.

I agree we flick him off as soon as we can, probably won't be til season end when he's off contract.

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
I don't doubt he's possibly a reasonable squad filler, but i'm yet to see anything that says he should be anywhere near the 17. The shape he was in last season was extremely poor for a first grader, really irked me seeing that.
He showed in the final game of 2019 against the raiders he goes alright playing in the middle. Last year he looked badly out of shape, not playing any reserve grade probably didn’t do him any good either. He’s trained pretty hard in the offseason from what I’ve seen. Hopefully he makes the most of opportunities this year

geepee

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 27, 2016
curren is a dud, looked in worse shape than a pub footy player. surely there is better youth in NZ we can give that spot to
worse shape lol god now i heard it all, there were lot worse fitness wise last season than him i think you will see a whole heap more of curran this season and frei too if therewas better youth in nz they be signed

Reactions: Worried2Death

wrighty

I thought Curren looked good on attack. He’s defence seemed to need work though. I think his major concern is that he’s been outshone by the other two young second rowers in the squad.
I think this post sums up where Curran is at.
Will add the nuance that his defensive execution in terms of tackling technique and nailing guys is just fine, what seems to be recurring is poor defensive reads and positioning himself inappropriately from a defensive coverage point of view.
That said he will learn hopefully. The complexity of the offensive shapes coming at you in a first grade game vs levels he is accustomed to must be like night and day.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Here's the simple question, who does curren replace in our starting team? He doesn't! I would of cut him last season, but unfortunately I don't have the power to do so, curren is a new journeyman that will end up with 50 games over 10 seasons.

geepee

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 27, 2016
end of the day i don't get the negativity around Curran , or is it because hes a aussie

i think we need him murchie siro and harris we going need some cover on bench as personally think back to previous seasons thats where we have biggest weakness as if harris gets injured n murch comes in we need him

you got remember development players cant be in sides till round 20

like brownie said new way of thinking from coaches no one safe no matter there name or how long they been there

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
end of the day i don't get the negativity around Curran , or is it because hes a aussie

i think we need him murchie siro and harris we going need some cover on bench as personally think back to previous seasons thats where we have biggest weakness as if harris gets injured n murch comes in we need him

like brownie said new way of thinking from coaches no one safe no matter there name or how long they been there
Remember whilst Katoa and Murchie had a good season we still don't know what we will get with them this year. Unlike Jazz and Tohu which you go in knowing what they will deliver

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018

It's less about negativity for Curran and positivity about those ahead of him.

We don't know what's going on in Brown's mind, but all things being equal he's not in our top 20 and is ahead of Frei and Ale because he has first grade experience and we don't know what the other two bring.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Remember whilst Katoa and Murchie had a good season we still don't know what we will get with them this year. Unlike Jazz and Tohu which you go in knowing what they will deliver

Ive got no farken idea what jazz will deliver most the time- rocks and diamonds I reckon- could be a real point of difference in our pack this year tho- he’ll be licking his lips knowing Evans, Addin Fonua-Blake and bmm will all have his back.
There’s been times I’ve cringed when he’s come on but actually looking forward to seeing him play this year.

wrighty

It's less about negativity for Curran and positivity about those ahead of him.

We don't know what's going on in Brown's mind, but all things being equal he's not in our top 20 and is ahead of Frei and Ale because he has first grade experience and we don't know what the other two bring.
Good post as always

I don’t mean to contradict your points, only replying as want to continue on Curran and you were last to post.

I went to intermediate around 1983. So in the language of the day “Curran is going to be a choice player”

He is mega gifted from an offensive perspective. Yes he is poor defensively but his problems are not incurable.
We must retain him. And he must be given some first grade time this year. If another team gets him it will be CNK all over again.

Reactions: francis
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings