Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_jrdn

Warriors Bench Player
Nov 8, 2018
I know people still think we should be chasing a half, but im sticking with the opinion we need a playmaking hooker. kodi and Chanel Harris-Tavita have shown the ability to comfortably open sides up its more of a consistency thing. What if instead of finding a real leading half we try find more of a leading hooker, follow the cam smith/storm idea maybe.

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
I know people still think we should be chasing a half, but im sticking with the opinion we need a playmaking hooker. kodi and Chanel Harris-Tavita have shown the ability to comfortably open sides up its more of a consistency thing. What if instead of finding a real leading half we try find more of a leading hooker, follow the cam smith/storm idea maybe.
Agree, Not many that fit the description though. Don't even think Brandon Smith fits in. Harry Grant maybe.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
I agree with you and I like what we’ve got in our halves depth too. If we can get the best out of what we’ve brought in, they will be a big asset. JN issues were more off field, maybe that’s the reason for shifting AK on, and SO’S needs to resurrect his career after injuries and a one year deal covers if injuries keep happening ala Roache. Both a plus that they are around family. I know I’m a pain in the arse with theories but I wonder if the chasing Hughes is a smokescreen and designed to push Hughes price up at the storm and drive out a hooker. It seems PO’S knows exactly the squad he wants and the forwards we have recruited in Addin Fonua-Blake and even chased in lodge and Hetherington tells me we want to bully packs and to me the perfect addition to the pack we have is Brandon Smith. Always hopeful anyway. Sorry to drivel on.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
I may be in the minority here, but I thought Egan was pretty good in his first season here, especially seeing he was coming back from injury.

Slick passer, accurate defender and was showing signs of regaining confidence in his running game towards the end of the season. Was probably my favourite warrior to watch this year and expect him to build on this next season.

If we could get Smith or Grant yes, that would be great but I think Egan has the makings of a fine dummy half.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I may be in the minority here, but I thought Egan was pretty good in his first season here, especially seeing he was coming back from injury.

Slick passer, accurate defender and was showing signs of regaining confidence in his running game towards the end of the season. Was probably my favourite warrior to watch this year and expect him to build on this next season.

If we could get Smith or Grant yes, that would be great but I think Egan has the makings of a fine dummy half.

On top of that I saw somewhere that he had a groin issue that affected his running and why Lawton started.

Reactions: Swanny and Fonzie

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Egan looks awesome and has massive raps on him as the next cameron smith. Think the advantage of having both Egan and Brandon Smith is the different body shapes PO’S alluded to and covers another position. Egan could be the speed coming off the bench after Smith provides the bullying or Egan tires them out and smith smashes them. Someone said they heard PO’S said Brandon Smith isn’t on the radar, I would settle for Harry grant.

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Also, Chanel Harris-Tavita is on the cusp of either being good or not. If we signed a good half then write off Chanel Harris-Tavita.
Exactly this in my opinion, jury out on Chanel Harris-Tavita and I have far more confidence at this point in Egan as a hooker than whether we have the right number 7. There was very little to choose from on the open market this year for halves so I’m very comfortable with the approach of having Chanel Harris-Tavita, Jayden Nikorima and Sean O'Sullivan to look at across the pre season and then 2021 and deciding if one of them is worth investing in long term. If not then we chase a top half for 2022 and beyond.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck spotted training with NZ sevens team. Hopefully just keeping fit. Ponga free to take up his all black dream in 2022. Hopefully makes Roger Tuivasa-Sheck think twice.
If I read the story before posting I would have seen CG said that it was keeping fit and picking up other training methods since he can’t go to the states like last year.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck spotted training with NZ sevens team. Hopefully just keeping fit. Ponga free to take up his all black dream in 2022. Hopefully makes Roger Tuivasa-Sheck think twice.
Sevens tournaments are indefinitely suspended, most of the squad are playing mitre 10 coup to Lee’s match fitness- I would read too much into it rather than anything else. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Ponga walking into the All Blacks is an Aus league media pissing contest saying their stars are better than Union sorta thing vs reality

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
For those wanting to keep AK, I totally agree. He is a low cost, versatile player who is clearly talented. However, how do we know he wasn’t asking for a pay rise? How do we know another club eg roosters, matched our offer and because he’s from there and his family are from Aussie, it was too hard to turn down?

Don’t just assume we outright didn’t offer him a contract. We may have, except he may have turned it down to return home. This is pure speculation, but I would assume he’d done enough to secure a gig, whether here or elsewhere.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
For those wanting to keep AK, I totally agree. He is a low cost, versatile player who is clearly talented. However, how do we know he wasn’t asking for a pay rise? How do we know another club eg roosters, matched our offer and because he’s from there and his family are from Aussie, it was too hard to turn down?

Don’t just assume we outright didn’t offer him a contract. We may have, except he may have turned it down to return home. This is pure speculation, but I would assume he’d done enough to secure a gig, whether here or elsewhere.
I have heard the keigans don't get on with the nikoremas well Jayden anyway it might have something to do with it
Or he might have jumped at the chance to play in aus .
The roosters is not a shit team ..

Reactions: dean

NZWarriorsFaithful

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2020
According to this Kodi has declined his PO as it would say 2022
48D1AA37-51B1-436D-94D0-95EAEC93BB68.png

Chrism

U20's Player
Oct 27, 2020
Be pretty silly to decline your offer for 2022 with it still being 2020

These things usually Aren't the most accurate... the amount of here-say in the NRL is ridiculous sometimes with most team sites not even up to date or well designed

especially right after the club throws your brother the lifeline

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Does seem odd though. 2-3 days vs ago it said PO under 2022.

I do agree though, would be unlikely to make a decision this soon considering all the ??? We still face.

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
I was hoping the skip was there recruiting! Must be plenty more young Bailey Simonsson's running around there!
Although in all seriousness unless they have a league background or are very young and good learners you are probably only going to get outside backs from the Sevens programme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings