Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Teets James

Yeah but he didn't have to organize , get the team around the park or kick.
Just defended and played his game out the back of good shape.
He was almost a FB or Centre really
He played how he was instructed to play. And stuck to the "Process" as Tony Iro put it. He followed his instructions to a Tee.
So if He was told to do nothing more than what he did. That's not his fault.

He played 1 game & O'sullivan is 10 times as good as him Wrighty reckons Lol.
How the heck do we judge him on organisation/Staring his team around the park after one game?

One thing you can't teach, Is instinct and speed.
He can find the tryline. That's a good start.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
He played how he was instructed to play. And stuck to the "Process" as Tony Iro put it. He followed his instructions to a Tee.
So if He was told to do nothing more than what he did. That's not his fault.

He played 1 game & O'sullivan is 10 times as good as him Wrighty reckons Lol.
How the heck do we judge him on organisation/Staring his team around the park after one game?

One thing you can't teach, Is instinct and speed.
He can find the tryline. That's a good start.
Exactly right, would be shit coaching if he asked a rookie half to come into first grade and organise the team around the field.

He’s shown he can direct the game as a half in the junior levels. Just because it wasn’t his role in his debut first grade game, doesn’t mean he can’t do it in the future.

Chanel Harris-Tavita hasn’t even been fully given those types of responsibilities nearly two years into his first grade career.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Exactly right, would be shit coaching if he asked a rookie half to come into first grade and organise the team around the field.

He’s shown he can direct the game as a half in the junior levels. Just because it wasn’t his role in his debut first grade game, doesn’t mean he can’t do it in the future.

Chanel Harris-Tavita hasn’t even been fully given those types of responsibilities nearly two years into his first grade career.
How right you are. I thought PT went really well considering how little he has played

wrighty

Don't want to reply to any one person as it will look like I am negating your point, and I don't want to negate anyone's point as I think the discussion is benefitting from the different nuanced posts which people have presented well.

I think Turner did look marginally better than Hingano on his debut but was not much better and was certainly in Hingano territory. Lino added much more to the Warriors first grade side in his appearances than Turner looked capable of in the short to medium term.
Yes Turner will grow and I admit I am not granting him enough leniency given it was his first game.
That said, I think had he gone a lot better in his debut and showed a lot more from a linking and passing perspective that Sean O'Sullivan would not have been signed. Based on what Turner showed he looked like a 2023 prospect before being ready for a key role like a half for an NRL team.
Remember, and I know you don't need reminding, but will say anyway, the NRL is the premier league competition in the world by some distance.
Just because Turner is a "handy" player with a nose for the try line right now doesn't in any way mean he would be anything other than a major liability for any NRL team if they played him in such a pivotal position as stand off or half back in the next 24 months.

All of this is in my humble opinion and bear in mind I am much newer to following league than you blokes are so take my view with a grain of salt.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Don't want to reply to any one person as it will look like I am negating your point, and I don't want to negate anyone's point as I think the discussion is benefitting from the different nuanced posts which people have presented well.

I think Turner did look marginally better than Hingano on his debut but was not much better and was certainly in Hingano territory. Lino added much more to the Warriors first grade side in his appearances than Turner looked capable of in the short to medium term.
Yes Turner will grow and I admit I am not granting him enough leniency given it was his first game.
That said, I think had he gone a lot better in his debut and showed a lot more from a linking and passing perspective that Sean O'Sullivan would not have been signed. Based on what Turner showed he looked like a 2023 prospect before being ready for a key role like a half for an NRL team.
Remember, and I know you don't need reminding, but will say anyway, the NRL is the premier league competition in the world by some distance.
Just because Turner is a "handy" player with a nose for the try line right now doesn't in any way mean he would be anything other than a major liability for any NRL team if they played him in such a pivotal position as stand off or half back in the next 24 months.

All of this is in my humble opinion and bear in mind I am much newer to following league than you blokes are so take my view with a grain of salt.
I see where you are coming from Wrighty. However he has only played the one game and I thought he was very elusive and guiding a NRL team around is another thing. I would love to see him preservered with

Last edited:

Jaffa J

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 22, 2020
We need to have patience with PT don't wanna take away from his performance but it was against a terrible Bulldogs team he had flashes but not enough to the point where I think he should be the backup to Kodi and Chanel Harris-Tavita

We just need to keep developing him and hopefully by the time he's ready Chanel Harris-Tavita will be at the level we all hope he should be

Sean O'Sullivan is a safe pickup even though he isn't 1000x times better than PT

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Is Jayden Nikorima signed for Hooker or Half? Otherwise that's 5 halves in the depth chart I think he'll make the team because of the Kodi/Hughes rumour

Like I said before it's all about how they go in preseason but at this moment I don't see PT as the backup

Don't want it too seem like I'm hating on PT or anything I just think he still needs time to develop
Yeah mate. I like him but certainly needs time

Reactions: Off The Bench

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
The one year contract says a lot to me. No team signs someone they consider to be a “gun young half” to a one year contract. It guess it gives Sean O'Sullivan a salary for a year and a chance to show his skills in first grade and it gives the Warriors a solid back up until they sign a game leading half in 2022.
makes me think they plan to open the chequebook for a real half in 2022.
We'll have all this $$$ and end up with a 31 year old Shaun Johnson.
🥣

Last edited:

wrighty

We'll have all this $$$ and end up with a 31 year old Shaun Johnson.
Exactly. All the tea leaves are shaping for him to be resigned with a career finishing 3 year contract.

As much as it was the wrong move to let him go - it is also the wrong move to bring him back. He has always lived off his electric step and that won't be there in a few years.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Exactly. All the tea leaves are shaping for him to be resigned with a career finishing 3 year contract.

As much as it was the wrong move to let him go - it is also the wrong move to bring him back. He has always lived off his electric step and that won't be there in a few years.
His step is long gone, he'll be the marquee organising half setting up all our tries, provided he can still walk by then he won't be any slower than Green.

Reactions: Swanley

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Definitely dont see PT as much of a half. Hes definitely got the speed/skill for a good fullback/centre. I reacon the coaches see it the same way which is why they brought in Sean O'Sullivan and J Nikorima as depth. Yes he can play 5/8 but hes not an organiser and we shouldnt expect him to be. Chanel Harris-Tavita is being groomed for that role and Sean O'Sullivan as his backup. J Nikorima will be a utility half/hooker, same with Kodi. I really hope the team dont expect PT to organise and and lead the team around because that just isn't the type of player he is. Hes a off the cuff and play whats in front of him type of player. Has the speed and skill to create something out of nothing out wide or off the back of out forwards offloads which i expect to be our game plan next year. Through the middle with our big boys to create second chance opportunities for Chanel Harris-Tavita and Kodi to exploit and distribute to the backs

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Definitely dont see PT as much of a half. Hes definitely got the speed/skill for a good fullback/centre. I reacon the coaches see it the same way which is why they brought in Sean O'Sullivan and J Nikorima as depth. Yes he can play 5/8 but hes not an organiser and we shouldnt expect him to be. Chanel Harris-Tavita is being groomed for that role and Sean O'Sullivan as his backup. J Nikorima will be a utility half/hooker, same with Kodi. I really hope the team dont expect PT to organise and and lead the team around because that just isn't the type of player he is. Hes a off the cuff and play whats in front of him type of player. Has the speed and skill to create something out of nothing out wide or off the back of out forwards offloads which i expect to be our game plan next year. Through the middle with our big boys to create second chance opportunities for Chanel Harris-Tavita and Kodi to exploit and distribute to the backs

Putting the cart before the horse a bit Mate, Jayden Nikorima is only on a train and trial contract thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings