General 2021 Warriors Preseason

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Preseason Photos from this week
Love it. Team in the white strip looks to be the team for round 1 at the moment. I’m thinking
1.RTS
2.Montoya
3.Fusitua
4.Aitken(or vice versa)
5.Ken
6.Nikorima
7.CHT
8.AFB
9.Egan
10.JTB
11.Katoa
12.BMM(or vice versa)
13.Tohu
Interchange
Ah Mau
Evans(battling JTB to start)
Jazz
Sironen
Ken looking leaner and fitter too

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Love it. Team in the white strip looks to be the team for round 1 at the moment. I’m thinking
1.RTS
2.Montoya
3.Fusitua
4.Aitken(or vice versa)
5.Ken
6.Nikorima
7.CHT
8.AFB
9.Egan
10.JTB
11.Katoa
12.BMM(or vice versa)
13.Tohu
Interchange
Ah Mau
Jazz
Sironen
No hiku? You think they’ll move Fusitua in? Ah Mau will start over JTB for me, he’s class. I think Evans will battle for a bench spot. I also think afoa will surprise a lot of people, playing for a contract, was going to be released but refused, did his acl in pre season but is one of the strongest/fittest front row forwards, and we’ve got to remember how young he is. There was a point where bunty was a cult figure with his kick off returns, strong D and big motor. I’d expect the battle for the front row spot to heat up.

Also interested where murchie fits in. He was class last year, and will continue to develop. That’s the back row though, or move tohu to an edge, jazz/BMM into the middle. I’m a huge jazz fan personally. He’s got some stupid errors but with a big pack, his size and offload and speed around the ruck will offer something different. We can’t just have 5 110kg forwards out there, we will get exposed. Need something different to complement then IMO. It looks like jazz will be our 9/lock back up, like Lawton played. Egan to start and play as much minutes as possible, but bring jazz on at 9. He will need to work hard on his passing off the deck but I assume that’s his new role.

Last edited:

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
No hiku? You think they’ll love Fusitua in?
Since hearing Montoya is training the house down and the club would only give Hiku one year I reckon they will try this first. Think his defence is a problem though better. Really like Hiku and his offence so wouldn’t be worried either way, and as depth no matter what he will factor somewhere if not at the start of the season. Fusitua needs to bring it.

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Since hearing Montoya is training the house down and the club would only give Hiku one year I reckon they will try this first. Think his defence is a problem though better. Really like Hiku and his offence so wouldn’t be worried either way, and as depth no matter what he will factor somewhere if not at the start of the season. Fusitua needs to bring it.
Oh no. The dreaded “training the house down” has returned.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
No hiku? You think they’ll move Fusitua in? Ah Mau will start over JTB for me, he’s class. I think Evans will battle for a bench spot. I also think afoa will surprise a lot of people, playing for a contract, was going to be released but refused, did his acl in pre season but is one of the strongest/fittest front row forwards, and we’ve got to remember how young he is. There was a point where bunty was a cult figure with his kick off returns, strong D and big motor. I’d expect the battle for the front row spot to heat up.

Also interested where murchie fits in. He was class last year, and will continue to develop. That’s the back row though, or move tohu to an edge, jazz/BMM into the middle. I’m a huge jazz fan personally. He’s got some stupid errors but with a big pack, his size and offload and speed around the ruck will offer something different. We can’t just have 5 110kg forwards out there, we will get exposed. Need something different to complement then IMO. It looks like jazz will be our 9/lock back up, like Lawton played. Egan to start and play as much minutes as possible, but bring jazz on at 9. He will need to work hard on his passing off the deck but I assume that’s his new role.
Ah Mau was a weapon off the bench for the dragons and I reckon body sizes will factor. JTB and evans similar body shape and AFB and Ah Mau also. Start the game with different body shapes I reckon and those 4 can spell each other. I agree regarding Bunty and hope he can play his way back also. Murchie is a tough one, deserves a spot and if not being used another club will snap him up, Katoa young though and likely to get injured or just need a spell at some point in the year so Murchie will get his shot. Agree Jazz is backup hooker when needed. I’m a fan also but don’t like him at hooker as he’s stated he doesn’t like it and service is only adequate. Sironen can apparently cover halves and centre at a pinch as well as back row, Tohu also can fill in in the halves of someone goes down in the game.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Oh no. The dreaded “training the house down” has returned.

Apparantly the NRL campaign for 2021 is some Aussie band co-opting Talking Heads' "Burning Down The House" but changing it to "Training Down The House", since we all know the very, very strong and undeniable link between training down the house and playing well, don't we?

Rd 1 team: I'd give the long-term injured from 2020 to prove they're back and ready to go to, so Ah Mau and Afoa - If he's still a Warrior? Anyone heard rumours? - get first game or two as starters/big minutes players. Frei maybe as interchange. Although the situation with a shortened pre-season and only one pre-season match for each club may mean my default position is no longer workable (ie giving the injured lots of time over a 2-3 game pre-season to get them back in the mode of playing is no longer happening).

Still rather see KN at 9/14 then JT, personal preferences of KN and the reason he became a Warrior - ie much gametime at 6 - be damned. Not devestating if it's JT, but not ideal.

Reactions: Tragic

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
1.RTS
2.Montoya
3.Fusitua
4.Aitken(or vice versa)
5.Ken
6.Nikorima
7.CHT
8.AFB
9.Egan
10.JTB
11.Katoa
12.BMM(or vice versa)
13.Tohu
Interchange
Ah Mau
Jazz
Sironen
Pompey was also in white, so could also be 2. Fusitua 3. Pompey.
Regardless I like the idea of Hiku starting off as a back up, I can't get over the defensive issues, plus he's on a one year deal (clearly not long term plans) but good player to keep Fusitua etc on their toes.
If Montoya plays like he has been the last couple of seasons, then there's no way cracks the starting team regardless of how well he's been training. Hopefully he returns to the form of his debut season and sticks to the wing.

Also I'm starting to think the starting back row will look like 11. Katoa 12. Tohu 13. Sironen with BMM off the bench

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Pompey was also in white, so could also be 2. Fusitua 3. Pompey.
Regardless I like the idea of Hiku starting off as a back up, I can't get over the defensive issues, plus he's on a one year deal (clearly not long term plans) but good player to keep Fusitua etc on their toes.
If Montoya plays like he has been the last couple of seasons, then there's no way cracks the starting team regardless of how well he's been training. Hopefully he returns to the form of his debut season and sticks to the wing.

Also I'm starting to think the starting back row will look like 11. Katoa 12. Tohu 13. Sironen with BMM off the bench
Don’t mind any of what you say if they go that way. It’s a long season and many of these guys will likely see game time, also the depth is great for competition in the team as long as there’s no favourites.

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 4, 2018
Hey guys didn't know where to put this but I've noticed how much media attention Kane Evans is getting? remember tohu getting similar when he arrived maybe their trying to position him as a future leader?? may be a long shot

Cool interview here Kane likes what he’s seeing under Brown, having worked under Brad Authur and Trent Robinson regarding attacking plays they’re working on..

“It’s only been a week and half that I’ve been with Browny, but I’m definitely loving what we’ve been practicing, especially the shapes we have coming this year on attack,” he said.
“They’re looking exciting and I can’t wait to pull them off.”

Hopefully those late night discussions/video sessions convert into awesome attacking raids when season starts!! 💪

Last edited:

sydneywarrior92

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 12, 2013
Either Pompey shifts to centre which the Warriors site has him listed from wing last year and Fusitua back to wing, Montoya wing and Fusitua centre or Hiku centre and Fusitua back outside him again. Something like that perhaps.
What's wrong with the following:
1. RTS
2. Fusitua
3. Hiku
4. Aitken
5. Ken

That is our best back five IMO. The rest should just be depth. Hiku has his defensive issues but nobody can put wingers through like him- Pompey only looked good because he was always on Hiku's side. Same as Herbert before him

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
What's wrong with the following:
1. RTS
2. Fusitua
3. Hiku
4. Aitken
5. Ken

That is our best back five IMO. The rest should just be depth. Hiku has his defensive issues but nobody can put wingers through like him- Pompey only looked good because he was always on Hiku's side. Same as Herbert before him
That’s what I said”or Hiku centre and Fusitua back outside him again”. Gotta wonder why the 1 year contract for him, is it an Issac Luke situation? And obviously from the pictures, the team in white looks like the team at least for the trial for now. Montoya could well get a shot to impress, remember in years past they’ve gone into the trial with Soosamea on the wing.

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings