Internationals 2021 Rugby League World Cup

Korbin Sims & Jason Qareqare included in Fiji’s extended World Cup squad​

7th September 2022 Josh McAllister World Cup 2021 1

Korbin Sims

Retiring Hull KR forward Korbin Sims has been included in Fiji’s extended 33-man squad ahead of this year’s World Cup in autumn.

Castleford winger Jason Qareqare has also been included.

Head coach Joe Rabele has announced a star-studded squad. It includes Penrith hooker Api Koroisau and Parramatta’s Maika Sivo, Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Waqa Blake.

2023 Huddersfield signing Kevin Naiqama will lead the side alongside back-rower Kikau. The pair are among 17 NRL stars included in the squad.

Despite announcing his retirement from the sport, 30-year-old Sims has also been included.

New South Wales representative Koroisau will be asked to decide his World Cup allegiance, with reports suggesting he could also make Mal Meninga’s Australia 24-man squad. The 29-year-old has played 16 tests for Fiji.

“I know that he has some interest to play for the Kangaroos, but the door is still open for Api Koroisau,” Rabele told media in Fiji.

“Hopefully he will get back to me because we will send invitation letters to all the clubs for all the players that we select (to confirm) if they want to be part of this program, so we are waiting for them to respond.

“We are departing for England on October 25. So, before we depart we need to select our best team that we can for the World Cup.

“At the moment we have to submit this squad to the World Cup. So, when we submit the names we have to work with this squad.”

Fiji will feature in Group B of the men’s tournament alongside Australia, Italy and Scotland.

Fiji 33-man squad​

Waqa Blake, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Maika Sivo (Parramatta Eels), Tui Kamikamica (Melbourne Storm), Vuate Karawalevu, Kevin Naiqama, Siua Wong (Sydney Roosters), Viliame Kikau, Apisai Koroisau (Penrith Panthers), Lamar Manuel Liolevave (Tweed Seagulls), Joe Lovodua (Hull FC), Isaac Lumelume (Canterbury Bulldogs), Netane Masima (Wests Magpies), Laitia Moceidreke, Taniela Sadrugu (NQ Cowboys), Sitiveni Moceidreke (London Broncos), Taane Milne (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Marcelo Montoya (NZ Warriors), Ben Nakubuwai (Leigh Centurions), Jason Qareqare (Castleford), Mikaele Ravalawa (St George Illawarra Dragons), Daniel Saifiti, Jacob Saifiti (Newcastle Knights), Pio Seci (Manly Sea Eagles), Korbin Sims (Hull KR), Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons), Penioni Tagituimua, Brandon Wakeham (Canterbury Bulldogs), Sunia Turuva (Penrith Panthers), Joseph Vakacereivalu (Redcliffe Dolphins), Semi Valemei (Canberra Raiders), King Vuniyayawa (Salford Reds), Ratu Inoke Vasuturaga (Kinoya Eagles)

Bit annoying that sky doesn't have the rights to the world cup, will have to sign up for spark sport I guess. Anyone have an idea what time the games will be played? Early hours of the morning?

Reactions: Blackdot
Bit annoying that sky doesn't have the rights to the world cup, will have to sign up for spark sport I guess. Anyone have an idea what time the games will be played? Early hours of the morning?
Fixture list and venues

https://www.rlwc2021.com/tickets

BBC not Sky have the UK broadcast rights so not sure what that means for NZ broadcast. If you have a *cough* VPN you should be able to watch most games on BBC’s web based iPlayer

Reactions: Rizzah and Motota
Round 1 vs Lebanon - 6:30am NZST Monday, October 17th
Round 2 vs Jamaica - 6:30am NZST Sunday, October 23rd
Round 3 vs Ireland - 6:30am NZST Saturday, October 29th

(Making the bold assumption we win our group)
Quarter Final - 6:30am NZST Sunday, November 5th
(Assuming we win the 1/4 final against presumably Fiji)
Semi Final - 6:45am NZST Saturday, November 12th
(Making the [not sarcastic this time] bold assumption we win the Semi against presumably Australia)
Grand Final - 3:00am NZST Sunday, November 20th

The finals are set up in a bit of a weird way where we wont be getting an Australia vs NZ grand final.. My conspiracy theory is that it was more of an attempt to give England the best shot at making the Final but ultimately, it also means there is much better chance that Samoa or Tonga make it as well.

Edit: I forgot about Daylight Savings when converting the kickoff times, so I think everything needs to be pushed forward an hour? I'm not sure, Daylight savings still has me f**ked up everytime in comes around lol

Last edited:

Korbin Sims & Jason Qareqare included in Fiji’s extended World Cup squad​

7th September 2022 Josh McAllister World Cup 2021 1

Korbin Sims

Retiring Hull KR forward Korbin Sims has been included in Fiji’s extended 33-man squad ahead of this year’s World Cup in autumn.

Castleford winger Jason Qareqare has also been included.

Head coach Joe Rabele has announced a star-studded squad. It includes Penrith hooker Api Koroisau and Parramatta’s Maika Sivo, Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Waqa Blake.

2023 Huddersfield signing Kevin Naiqama will lead the side alongside back-rower Kikau. The pair are among 17 NRL stars included in the squad.

Despite announcing his retirement from the sport, 30-year-old Sims has also been included.

New South Wales representative Koroisau will be asked to decide his World Cup allegiance, with reports suggesting he could also make Mal Meninga’s Australia 24-man squad. The 29-year-old has played 16 tests for Fiji.

“I know that he has some interest to play for the Kangaroos, but the door is still open for Api Koroisau,” Rabele told media in Fiji.

“Hopefully he will get back to me because we will send invitation letters to all the clubs for all the players that we select (to confirm) if they want to be part of this program, so we are waiting for them to respond.

“We are departing for England on October 25. So, before we depart we need to select our best team that we can for the World Cup.

“At the moment we have to submit this squad to the World Cup. So, when we submit the names we have to work with this squad.”

Fiji will feature in Group B of the men’s tournament alongside Australia, Italy and Scotland.

Fiji 33-man squad​

Waqa Blake, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Maika Sivo (Parramatta Eels), Tui Kamikamica (Melbourne Storm), Vuate Karawalevu, Kevin Naiqama, Siua Wong (Sydney Roosters), Viliame Kikau, Apisai Koroisau (Penrith Panthers), Lamar Manuel Liolevave (Tweed Seagulls), Joe Lovodua (Hull FC), Isaac Lumelume (Canterbury Bulldogs), Netane Masima (Wests Magpies), Laitia Moceidreke, Taniela Sadrugu (NQ Cowboys), Sitiveni Moceidreke (London Broncos), Taane Milne (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Marcelo Montoya (NZ Warriors), Ben Nakubuwai (Leigh Centurions), Jason Qareqare (Castleford), Mikaele Ravalawa (St George Illawarra Dragons), Daniel Saifiti, Jacob Saifiti (Newcastle Knights), Pio Seci (Manly Sea Eagles), Korbin Sims (Hull KR), Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons), Penioni Tagituimua, Brandon Wakeham (Canterbury Bulldogs), Sunia Turuva (Penrith Panthers), Joseph Vakacereivalu (Redcliffe Dolphins), Semi Valemei (Canberra Raiders), King Vuniyayawa (Salford Reds), Ratu Inoke Vasuturaga (Kinoya Eagles)

Edit: I forgot about Daylight Savings when converting the kickoff times, so I think everything needs to be pushed forward an hour? I'm not sure, Daylight savings still has me f**ked up everytime in comes around lol
Atm you are 11 hours ahead of what is British summer time

From 25 September (?) you will be 12 hours ahead and from 30 October 13 hours ahead

I think

Reactions: brightman
What about the kiwi middles for this World Cup 😮
Jfh and leota are the best starting front row in the comp (I mentioned trying to sign leota earlier in the year but can’t imagine the panthers ever letting him go now)
Then u got bromwhich and nas! And don’t forget tapine whos possibly the best of the lot and u still gotta try fit jwh in o_O.
Stacked af- the Aussies must be green with envy.

Fixture list and venues

https://www.rlwc2021.com/tickets

BBC not Sky have the UK broadcast rights so not sure what that means for NZ broadcast. If you have a *cough* VPN you should be able to watch most games on BBC’s web based iPlayer
I set up iPlayer so I can watch the first week of games (and therefore only have to subscribe to 1 month of spark)

Do you think iPlayer will have the games on demand as well as live?

What about the kiwi middles for this World Cup 😮
Jfh and leota are the best starting front row in the comp (I mentioned trying to sign leota earlier in the year but can’t imagine the panthers ever letting him go now)
Then u got bromwhich and nas! And don’t forget tapine whos possibly the best of the lot and u still gotta try fit jwh in o_O.
Stacked af- the Aussies must be green with envy.
Should dominate the middle for sure. Id take JWH over Bromwich.

I set up iPlayer so I can watch the first week of games (and therefore only have to subscribe to 1 month of spark)

Do you think iPlayer will have the games on demand as well as live?
They normally have games on there for a while after the event. Just looked on there now and they have episodes of the Super League Show (weekly highlights) going back a few weeks

Reactions: Billyspleen75