bruce

Contributor
heyzeuss, when was the last time a GF was called off? :eek:

Last edited:
bruce

bruce

Contributor
heyzeuss!!!
Heyzeuss, now I am worried that every fecker on here is a Russian or Chinese troll.

Nobody is worried about Covid affecting the GF.

Good news anyway:

Reactions: 1 user
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Reactions: 3 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Shouldn’t have tried his stint in Union, marred his legacy a bit
I think he underestimated rugby, and took it less seriously that he should have. He should have listened to Sonny Bill and Brad Thorn.

I know it is a bore of a game to watch, and if Sonny Bill is to be believed is easier on the body but Benji sure got caught out.

Reactions: 1 users
Wrighty

Wrighty

I think he underestimated rugby, and took it less seriously that he should have. He should have listened to Sonny Bill and Brad Thorn.

I know it is a bore of a game to watch, and if Sonny Bill is to be believed is easier on the body but Benji sure got caught out.
It was a positional issue in my opinion
Sonny bill played 12 which is not overly complex to learn
They threw benji in at fly half in umion and it takes a life time to learn that union position

snake77

snake77

The coaching probably didn't help. Kirwan quotes about him were all over the place. Obsessed with going on how in league Benji is only worried about what is directly in front of him union you need a 360 view. Or wanting to change his passing which would of been a point of difference for him coming from a league background. One of the things our union guys worry about when Australia get their shit together in union is their passing and hole running.

They also went on about his fitness and getting him into shape for union. Media reporting it like the union guys were more professional. He goes back to league and the Dragons talked about getting him back into league shape.

Shows the problem was the Tigers. A problem they still have.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
It was a positional issue in my opinion
Sonny bill played 12 which is not overly complex to learn
They threw benji in at fly half in umion and it takes a life time to learn that union position
Apart from the tactical(field position) kicking would have thought 1st 5/8 would be relatively transferable to a standoff/halfback compared to SBW going from 2nd rower to 2nd 5/8. SBW did have a stint in the lower grades learning out of the spotlight though

The Falcon

The Falcon

I’m in the throes of moving house and fittingly I unpacked this ol’ rag - given as a gift in 1988 - pre Warriors inception when my favourite player Mario ‘The Falcon’ Fenech was in the thick of it.

Attachments

• EF6679D5-336E-4FB3-B9D9-AF2EED0C61C6.jpeg
    EF6679D5-336E-4FB3-B9D9-AF2EED0C61C6.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Its been 10 years now so ive forgotten what its like, but how cool would it be to wake GF morning with the anticapation and enjoying the day with the knowledge your team is in Grand Final....

Its just a dream i have....

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users

Blindside

Panthers have shown their colours with the trainers-on-the- field and stopping play incidents.
Go Benji & Bennett,

Reactions: 2 users
mrblonde

mrblonde

Still think Penrith Panthers, but not sure on the Margin.

Still think Isaah Yeo for the Clive Churchill Medal.

Panthers have shown their colours with the trainers-on-the- field and stopping play incidents.
Go Benji & Bennett,

I know what you're getting at - and I agree, it's a bad look - but it's the coach's job to push the rules as far as they can and see what the NRL does in response.

Which is one of two things:
Nothing.
Something for a while (such as the crackdown on head high tackles). But what happens then is that the media bitch about the number of stoppages/sin bins in a game and, instead of basically fronting and saying "Well, if the clubs want those stoppages and sinbins to stop, they know what they have to tell the players to stop doing!", they freak out and either pubically or privately decide to drop the crackdown.

Either way, the coach's rule pushing gets copied by other coaches and therefore it becomes the accepted rule not by design but by lack of enforcement of the old rule.

Last edited:
Wrighty

Wrighty

Apart from the tactical(field position) kicking would have thought 1st 5/8 would be relatively transferable to a standoff/halfback compared to SBW going from 2nd rower to 2nd 5/8. SBW did have a stint in the lower grades learning out of the spotlight though
Michael Witt also bombed when he transitioned to rugby union 1st 58th

The plays you run as a union fly half are different for two reasons

1) Each time you receive the ball in union 30 to 40% of the time you should kick it, and those moments you need to kick it take a life time to learn. Fly halfs that come from lower ranked countries than NZ often make bad in game decisions from a run vs kick perspective.
Benji and Michael Witt both had no idea, nor should they, of when to kick in union as a fly half

2) The advantage line works differently in union in set pieces especially. In union players come from deep to hit the ball at pace running complex lines that aren't used in league. In league the half back hits the standoff with the pill "where he stands" and then he passes it on to a backline that is coming from a standing start rather than coming from deep.

Benji could have adapted to all of this had he had maybe 10-15 games of pre-season or in a lower grade to learn. All of Benji's games iirc were in super rugby and they didn't allow him any learning time and expected him to be effective from outset.
SBW as you pointed out started out on the wing, where you can't do any harm, playing French club rugby away from the southern hemisphere media.

I think and suspect our views are largely in agreement since you also referenced SBW had more learning time.

The only difference in our views is that I believe union 1st 58th to be very difficult to learn for anyone, even a league standoff.

Reactions: 3 users
Mr Bob

Mr Bob

Contributor
I’m in the throes of moving house and fittingly I unpacked this ol’ rag - given as a gift in 1988 - pre Warriors inception when my favourite player Mario ‘The Falcon’ Fenech was in the thick of it.

Beautiful jersey. Pls burn it 🔥

kidding.

Never have. Or never will. Like scoff’s. Cant connect with a club thats is owned by Russell the count Crowe…

Go the chocolate Panthers and my most fav coach - Ivan Cleary!!!

Should be a great game - pity about the crowd though.

PullinTeeth

PullinTeeth

Never thought I'd want Souths to win any game let alone a grand final but Penrith were the last team to beat us in a finals game so fuck them.
Souths by 16 with Murray CC medalist.
Just hope it turns into a grub fest.

Mr Bob

Mr Bob

Contributor
Never thought I'd want Souths to win any game let alone a grand final but Penrith were the last team to beat us in a finals game so fuck them.
You’ve taken a liking to your avatar havent you ?… 😂

glad that count is sitting on the sidelines for this…

Manly says “hi” get yourself checked for HIA

• Haha
Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
Same here, would love for south's to win for Bennett and Benji, but would be happy if someone landed one on that big Nathan cleary chin.

Mr Bob

Mr Bob

Contributor
Same here, would love for south's to win for Bennett and Benji, but would be happy if someone landed one on that big Nathan cleary chin.

Those two merkins have had their fair share of past glory. Time to move aside and share the wealth.

That being said, I wouldn’t be opposed to someone landing one on Nathan’s chin. Would be hard to miss. But only after Penrith winning is a forgone conclusion. A good old fashion biff would be a great way to end the game 😂

• Haha