Recruitment 2020 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Fifita is a car crash waiting to happen, he needs a strong mentor keeping an eagle eye on him. If he came here he would be lazy, get in trouble and waste a shitload of salary cap. I would much rather have Jai Arrow.
Yes to Arrow but you saw the article about his Missus? She is a top end Model and if New York got a league team like Toronto has I would say she would be lobbying for a location like that. She probably regards Auckland like we regard PNG.(That is a joke attempt)

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
To be honest, as amazing as Fifita could be, there is a lot of baggage already. He is a risk, especially with a high value, long term contract.

The Warriors are in a position where they have to take risks to be successful (although SK doesn't appear to like risk-taking), but this could go tits up for whichever team gets him.

I hope he does well, but alcohol, gambling, violence and criminal history in the family + big money, fame and all at a very young age...I hope someone more than just his mum is looking out for him
Pulu's brothers are all in Jail and he is the only role model in the family. If Pulu can stay on the straight and narrow then so can David F especially if he listens to the Mum figure.
His Bali adventure plays into the Warriors hands as much as it does the Broncos because there were 5 clubs in the race 4 weeks ago. I would wager one or two less desperate teams would have written off Fifita and pulled out of the race. Warriors are desperate though so we will still be pursuing him. He could probably do any crime short of domestic assault and we would still take him.

We are all in.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
If reports are correct that his mum will have a big input on his future, you can bet your bottom dollar that he will be staying in Brisbane.
Then why is Brisbane letting him test the market. Why didn't the sign him months ago. And if they didn't have the cash then why do they suddenly find themselves having it now?

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Hands up if you are a shit coach
Reaction score
Then why is Brisbane letting him test the market. Why didn't the sign him months ago. And if they didn't have the cash then why do they suddenly find themselves having it now?
He is contracted for 2020. Why upgrade someone's contract before it's due when they of all teams have salary cap issues? It's called smart salary cap management. Brisbane isn't "letting him". He is free to. He will still play at Broncos in 2020 unless has severely falling out. Broncos know they don't need to beat offers like from Warriors to keep him. Turpin, Lodge, Tevita Jnr stayed back there for less than warriors offered. It's not all about money. They would have a good relationship with him where he can say "I've been offered 1.5m per season from Warriors, but hey it's under a shit coach. Can I stay back for 700k at Broncos? "

Seriously though, put yourself in his shoes. You are this close to repping Aus, highly thought of Teenager with many years left in the game. Do you chase money in favour of career development? Put yourself in his shoes, there is no chance you put money above your career that is just begining.

Dylan Brown on the other hand loves the sound of millionaire...

Would be nice to one-day hear a top player at the Warriors say they are taking less to stay here because they see a good future and bright things ahead with the team. When has this ever happened? This is what the club should aspire to. You need to manage your cap well to create the timeframe to make a serious challenge for the title. We just continue to doggy paddle just to stay afloat whilst in a pool with seasoned swimmers. Won't get us anywhere in the future. Throw a million on a player here, another on that person. Wont make shit all difference when you have a weak team that doesn't want to win badly enough. You really think another potential signing doesn't say "sorry, you guys valued at player X at 800k....im 4 times that player...so how bout it cuz"? Agents are smart....give them credit. They compound our stupid contracts with more stupid contracts that the club just digs a bigger hole for themselves into. Once they "gotchya" us....they make us pay more and more as an end result. Look at our big signings in past 3 seasons. All overs.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
What is the Warriors success rate in converting players to their colours (whatever the colours are these days)?
That conversion rate is very low when you hear stories about Fifita, Turpin, Lodge, Brown, Tino etc. These are only the ones that get leaked to the media, they must be trying for others?

Why is that?

No one wants to come to Akld?
Not offering enough money?
Not offering enough outside of money?
No confidence in the club’s administration?
No confidence in the clubs coaches?
Don’t like the style of football they play?
Playing at the Warriors will kill future rep chances (SOO, Internationals)
Don’t want to play in a team that is likely to fall outside the top 8?
Too many Kiwis in the team?

Whatever the reasons I’m surprised the club hasn’t altered their approach in selling the club to agents and players.

Reaction score
bangbros18

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
If we throw a green swap in the mix we have gone from a one in ten thousand chance of landing Fifita to a one in five chance

I would say if that green swap rumour is correct and is on the table then we will be in the mixer come the pointy end of the talking.
Green is a tangible asset and was mentioned in multiple articles this year as an acquisition target. Even if each article was speculative.
I think throwing green in the mix has our chances lowered! Maybe 0.002%

Reaction score
bangbros18

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
He is contracted for 2020. Why upgrade someone's contract before it's due when they of all teams have salary cap issues? It's called smart salary cap management. Brisbane isn't "letting him". He is free to. He will still play at Broncos in 2020 unless has severely falling out. Broncos know they don't need to beat offers like from Warriors to keep him. Turpin, Lodge, Tevita Jnr stayed back there for less than warriors offered. It's not all about money. They would have a good relationship with him where he can say "I've been offered 1.5m per season from Warriors, but hey it's under a shit coach. Can I stay back for 700k at Broncos? "

Seriously though, put yourself in his shoes. You are this close to repping Aus, highly thought of Teenager with many years left in the game. Do you chase money in favour of career development? Put yourself in his shoes, there is no chance you put money above your career that is just begining.

Dylan Brown on the other hand loves the sound of millionaire...

Would be nice to one-day hear a top player at the Warriors say they are taking less to stay here because they see a good future and bright things ahead with the team. When has this ever happened? This is what the club should aspire to. You need to manage your cap well to create the timeframe to make a serious challenge for the title. We just continue to doggy paddle just to stay afloat whilst in a pool with seasoned swimmers. Won't get us anywhere in the future. Throw a million on a player here, another on that person. Wont make shit all difference when you have a weak team that doesn't want to win badly enough. You really think another potential signing doesn't say "sorry, you guys valued at player X at 800k....im 4 times that player...so how bout it cuz"? Agents are smart....give them credit. They compound our stupid contracts with more stupid contracts that the club just digs a bigger hole for themselves into. Once they "gotchya" us....they make us pay more and more as an end result. Look at our big signings in past 3 seasons. All overs.
I agree the warriors are always trying to buy a premiership, look players like RTS are worth the big bucks but other than his type we should be promoting youth in and around the superstar we do have. He will show them how to be professional and also Kearney should want the challange of bringing up the youngsters, especially now we have peter osullivan!

Reaction score
Diesel

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know if any of the current squad have little faith in Kearney and are only in Auckland because it’s close to home

Reaction score
t-wade23

t-wade23

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I reckon we’ve signed Fifita, Green to Brisbane is part of the deal, and CHTs upgrade reflects he is now starting 6/7.
Brisbane doing that would be a dumb recruitment move it’s something the Warriors front office would do

“hay lets give our stud 20 year old origin and future kangaroo all world backrower away for a 34 year old halfback.”

Fifita is clearly a asset that the Broncos need to keep if anything they should just hold onto him and pick up someone like a Sam Williams on the market if there that desperate for a organising halfback well that’s what I would do there is no way Green is enough for a player swap for me if I’m the Broncos.

However different story if Fifita wants to actually come here then all bets are off. (I don’t think he does)

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
“hay lets give our stud 20 year old origin and future kangaroo all world backrower away for a 34 year old halfback.”
Salary Cap could be dictating the terms, can't see Darius or Bird re-negotiating for less or being medically retired so it's still something everyone is waiting to see how it unfolds..

Reaction score
t-wade23

t-wade23

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Salary Cap could be dictating the terms, can't see Darius or Bird re-negotiating for less or being medically retired so it's still something everyone is waiting to see how it unfolds..
Yeap i see He’s currently locked in for 2020 unless he immediately asks for his release if I’m the Broncos you have him under contract for the next year you hold onto him regardless if he’s not asking for that release he’s on a team friendly deal currently so they can take there time and make some other moves to free that space up.

Im just saying that if this supposed player swap was happening there is no way that Blake Green is enough for me to grant that early release. If I’m the Broncos I’m asking for CHT instead of Green.

Reaction score

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yeap i see He’s currently locked in for 2020 unless he immediately asks for his release if I’m the Broncos you have him under contract for the next year you hold onto him regardless if he’s not asking for that release he’s on a team friendly deal currently so they can take there time and make some other moves to free that space up.

Im just saying that if this supposed player swap was happening there is no way that Blake Green is enough for me to grant that early release. If I’m the Broncos I’m asking for CHT instead of Green.
To be clear I have no inside info and this is total speculation. But the dots I am joining are:

1. The Broncs have admitted they underestimated Fifita's development and as a result did not provision enough money to upgrade him.
2. We have consistently been linked with Fifita.
3. Blake Green is a leader at our club, spoke at the fan forum, does heaps of media, is on good money for 2020, and appeared to be part of the 2020 plans until just now.

It may have played out something like this:
Broncos offer Fifita an upgrade to $400k in 2020, and $700k in 2021 and 2022. All they can afford under the cap.
Fifita goes to market and warriors offer $1m a year, starting in 2020 if he can get an early release.
Fifita tells Broncos he is leaving, and he wants to go now. Broncos say why would we release you a year early unless theres something in it for us.
Warriors offer Blake Green as a swap for early release, plus Fifita's manager insinuates that Fifita may not be too motivated if he is forced to hang around for a year on $400k.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Broncos forum is all over this rumour as well. Not discussing it as much as we are but it is on their front burner.
Comments include

1) How can we (Broncos) afford Green if we can't afford to pay Fifita $700K.
2) Do Broncos need Green when we have other existing players who can perform at half.
3) Plenty of jokes about somehow they could contrive to give us McCullough given we already took Nikorima.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This analysis article just released says Broncos have a hole on the halves:
BRONCOS
Can the Broncos solve their halves dilemma?
The Broncos boast one of the best packs in the competition, but if they can’t sort their halves mess out they won’t challenge for the 2020 title.
Incumbent five-eighth Darius Boyd is not a No.6 and is expected to play centre next season, while halfback Jake Turpin’s best position is hooker.

Anthony Seibold seems intent on playing Anthony Milford at fullback, but historically his best position has been at No.6.
It is up to Tom Dearden and Sean O’Sullivan to step up and demand the No.7 jersey for next season, but if they can’t Seibold may look to lure Brodie Croft to the club sooner rather than later.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I just realised something alarming but probably true. In order to make the rumoured deal "work". Warriors may well be asked to subsidise / pay freight on Green's salary. Which would fulfill Tajhay's warning about the only way he could see Green moving is if Warriors subsidised.

I was joining the dots just now and it stands out the Bronco's can't afford Croft or Green right now...would we be desperate enough to throw Green in and pay for part of him. And as much as $200 to even $300K.

Reaction score

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I just realised something alarming but probably true. In order to make the rumoured deal "work". Warriors may well be asked to subsidise / pay freight on Green's salary. Which would fulfill Tajhay's warning about the only way he could see Green moving is if Warriors subsidised.

I was joining the dots just now and it stands out the Bronco's can't afford Croft or Green right now...would we be desperate enough to throw Green in and pay for part of him. And as much as $200 to even $300K.
Possibly but not necessarily. If Fifita leaves the Broncs have his money plus whatever money they had for a half in 2020, which together should cover Greens salary.

Reaction score

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The most likely scenario is we let Green go and subsidise his salary for nothing so we can cut some more costs

Top Bottom