Recruitment 2020 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2018
I have thought more about it. It is not a straight forward decision to give away Green

Green has a lot of leadership qualities and some of our guys are dolts and would do dumb things without him on the field. I remember one game where the opposition trailed by two points with ten seconds left. They did an onside kick that only went 8 metres. Ken wanted to pick the ball up and it would have resulted in a penalty to them which they could have caused trouble. Green screamed at him to leave it and the ball rolled into touch and the clock went to zero and we won. That is but one of many times he verbally took charge. He has also been the actual captain in some games where Roger has not played.
All of this would appeal to Brisbane as they could use such an experienced hand, but we need him too as Kodi hasn't figured out the role yet and I certainly hope he is buying Blake a beer after each game to get feedback. CHT as well is too young to not have a mentor figure around.
Two last points. Blake and CHT played well together, Kodi and Blake went ok together. CHT and Kodi was never tried and they may not work well.
Lastly we need three pivots due to how injured those guys get and I don't think AK is a legit option to be the third dude.

This is not a straight forward call to let Green walk to either Brisbane or any other team even with significant compensation.

tajhay

Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
This is not a straight forward call to let Green walk to either Brisbane or any other team even with compensation.
This is the Warriors. If he goes WE would be subsidising him to play elsewhere. Always has been that way at the Warriors. Always will. Salary cap management/smarts is non existent.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Bit of a catch 22 with Green as we don't have the size to cart him up the field and may have to part ways with him to get that size.
His best seasons have been behind a dominant pack so the Broncos would be a good fit.
I would be reluctant to let him go also but only if he's retiring at the end of next season and interested in a role off field as somebody said. If he wants to play on let him go.

Bushman

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2016
I have thought more about it. It is not a straight forward decision to give away Green

Green has a lot of leadership qualities and some of our guys are dolts and would do dumb things without him on the field. I remember one game where the opposition trailed by two points with ten seconds left. They did an onside kick that only went 8 metres. Ken wanted to pick the ball up and it would have resulted in a penalty to them which they could have caused trouble. Green screamed at him to leave it and the ball rolled into touch and the clock went to zero and we won. That is but one of many times he verbally took charge. He has also been the actual captain in some games where Roger has not played.
All of this would appeal to Brisbane as they could use such an experienced hand, but we need him too as Kodi hasn't figured out the role yet and I certainly hope he is buying Blake a beer after each game to get feedback. CHT as well is too young to not have a mentor figure around.
Two last points. Blake and CHT played well together, Kodi and Blake went ok together. CHT and Kodi was never tried and they may not work well.
Lastly we need three pivots due to how injured those guys get and I don't think AK is a legit option to be the third dude.

This is not a straight forward call to let Green walk to either Brisbane or any other team even with significant compensation.
Well said dude, summed up a lot of my thoughts in your post there.

Reactions: bruce

Vedoid

Warriors Bench Player
Nov 21, 2018
Think about it though. We have heaps of cap room, so there’s no reason to weaken the squad by letting Green go unless it’s part of a player swap.
Maybe it is not just about salary cap though - perhaps the club has identified we need to free other spots/another spot on the roster, and by releasing a half on a big chunk of salary, we free up BOTH cap and a roster spot. Meaning we would now have extra cap to throw at two positions. TBH we aren't making the 8 with Green in the squad in 2020 anyway, so why not roll without him and put a couple of big boys up front. Let's undo our pants and dream a little here - a halves combo of CHT and KN playing behind a pack that included JWH and AFifi... I would be ecstatic to see something like that.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Maybe it is not just about salary cap though - perhaps the club has identified we need to free other spots/another spot on the roster, and by releasing a half on a big chunk of salary, we free up BOTH cap and a roster spot. Meaning we would now have extra cap to throw at two positions. TBH we aren't making the 8 with Green in the squad in 2020 anyway, so why not roll without him and put a couple of big boys up front. Let's undo our pants and dream a little here - a halves combo of CHT and KN playing behind a pack that included JWH and AFifi... I would be ecstatic to see something like that.
And I thought I might be being optimistic!

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2018

The Titans have reportedly tabled a four-year, $3 million deal to keep Arrow for the long-term, but the offer may be short of what Sydney clubs throw at him.
Six teams have reportedl thrown their hat in the ring to try and secure Arrow for the future, with the Rabbitohs in a tussle alongside the Canterbury Bulldogs, Wests Tigers and Cronulla Sharks.
Warriors are not in the Jai Arrow race

Reactions: bruce

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Haha great call but Green v SJ is a totally different kettle of fish
To a degree, but like SJ, when Green was at Manly and had our offer on the table he suggested he couldn't gaurantee his best effort if he were forced to stay.

It might not make sense for us to let him go, but if he wants to go we're not likely to get his best by sticking to our guns which raises the question of if he's worth it.

Besides, this is Kearney and George, what makes sense does not apply.

Reactions: Defence and bruce

Upcoming Match

Cronulla Sharks Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

10 Jul

12 - 16
5.1 Total Avg Rating
3.3 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings