General 2020 Season Suspended

ryno

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
If we have to default any of our games due to being quarantined etc., can we make sure this still goes against Kearneys record?

I am keen to get to the Round 6 review underway.

Reactions: Bushman

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Not going to happen
If the NRL go ahead, they will effectively be attempting to be a bubble of thousands.

They will be running the experiment in contravention of social distancing in multiples of hundreds. Social distancing is meant to be the status quo till there is a Vaccine, maybe two years away.

Maybe they can do it....but all those guys in uber close contact daily?

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
If the NRL go ahead, they will effectively be attempting to be a bubble of thousands.

They will be running the experiment in contravention of social distancing in multiples of hundreds. Social distancing is meant to be the status quo till there is a Vaccine, maybe two years away.

Maybe they can do it....but all those guys in uber close contact daily?
given what slowmo, our venerable leader is saying about skools, mot needing social distancing, then i cant see him not supporting his team the sharks to get back on the pitch. oh and his religious nutter group are allready selling tickets to the next hillsong, come one come all conference, which is around that date. lots of nice warm bodies to pack into a crowded convention hall and share spit and sweet, through kisses and handsakes. but not to worry god will protect them

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
given what slowmo, our venerable leader is saying about skools, mot needing social distancing, then i cant see him not supporting his team the sharks to get back on the pitch. oh and his religious nutter group are allready selling tickets to the next hillsong, come one come all conference, which is around that date. lots of nice warm bodies to pack into a crowded convention hall and share spit and sweet, through kisses and handsakes. but not to worry god will protect them
Must do your head in bruv. Would drive me nuts.
We have our own issues with Brian Tamaki but at least Jacinda ain't involved, well not directly, some destiny loonies called for her assassination.
I'd say that would be enough for the Bishop to be on the SIS watchlist.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Love how they’re basing us a 9 hour drive from Sydney - how’s that gonna work I wonder? Or is it just for the training period?

Reactions: bruce

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Well looking at those fk knuckles already breaching the lock down over there...there is no way this thing will work out well for the participants without eradication of the virus over there.

What are they gonna do in the Flu season when the players get symptoms the same as a probable Covid case?

I guess they will burn through lots of tests every time someone gets a cold...so that footy players can play next week.

If they don't....that would be madness for that countries bio safety.

The dark side of me wants this to go ahead. As Will Smith said in IROBOT....somehow saying I told you so, just doesn’t cut it.

Last edited:

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Love how they’re basing us a 9 hour drive from Sydney - how’s that gonna work I wonder? Or is it just for the training period?
I think it’s just during the quarantine/training period of 14 days, then they’ll relocate to the “NRL bubble”.

See that Nine are only wanting to pay for a season ending in October (as per their agreement) and not the proposed extended season. That’s fine Nine.... you only get TV rights until then and not for the last few the last few rounds and especially not the finals.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Now the players might skip their return to training unless they get their pay finalised. I can see the Warriors side as they may have to fly into Australia, isolate and if it doesn't go ahead may need to come and isolate again.

The clubs are also in the dark about the players plans. So much for all being together for the good of the game. We have the NRL, clubs, players either not talking or wanting different things.

Hadyn

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2013
This whole thing is getting very messy.Classic case of expecting performance for a job to be done and then being disappointed when things don't work out so well after you have paid for the job in advance.
Happens most times.Surprise Surprise.!!!!
For the good of the game going forward this season should be scrapped ,NRL to be wound up ,Fox and Channel 9 and Channel 7 to renegotiate broadcasting deals that will be sustainable over the next 5 years, ( particularly considering the fact the World will be in a recession ( if not a depression) for the next 4 years,)players to have more realistically priced contracts ,clubs to be more sustainable and the NRL to get rid of 90% of Head Office overheads.
I for one am becoming bored of it all.
Only thing is the 90% of NRL hangers on at Head Office will resist this like you wouldn't believe ( their cushy jobs will depend on it)......funny that.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
This whole thing is getting very messy.Classic case of expecting performance for a job to be done and then being disappointed when things don't work out so well after you have paid for the job in advance.
Happens most times.Surprise Surprise.!!!!
For the good of the game going forward this season should be scrapped ,NRL to be wound up ,Fox and Channel 9 and Channel 7 to renegotiate broadcasting deals that will be sustainable over the next 5 years, ( particularly considering the fact the World will be in a recession ( if not a depression) for the next 4 years,)players to have more realistically priced contracts ,clubs to be more sustainable and the NRL to get rid of 90% of Head Office overheads.
I for one am becoming bored of it all.
Only thing is the 90% of NRL hangers on at Head Office will resist this like you wouldn't believe ( their cushy jobs will depend on it)......funny that.
You have it. The gravy train at Moore Park trying to pay their mortgages. Read the news guys, your employer is stone broke. Register for the dole.

Reactions: Hadyn

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Goodness only knows what will happen if one of the players contracts Covid19.

Commercial pressure versus infection and death will get pretty bloody serious in the next month or so. Big debate in England atm about spectator sport and in particular the premier league which is huge commercially. I heard earlier this week that Man United earn something like £200m a season from match day revenue. To put that into context it’s four or five times their annual debt interest payments, a legacy of the Glaziers purchase. If United are going to take that sort of hit imagine what the other clubs finances are doing. The only one who can probably cope is Man City who are funded by Abu Dhabi

Reactions: bruce and Akkerz

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2016
So the players will end up getting a 20% pay cut and some dont want to play, well that’s fine but like the rest of us you don’t go to work you don’t get paid at all, at my work we are doing everything we can including taking pay cuts and working o/t here and there with no pay just so the company survives and we can keep our jobs (hopefully) after all this finishes, don’t these guys realise if the company doesn’t go ahead this year they might be all out of a job? This game made the players what they are today, show a bit of respect and class and give back to what was given to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: wizards rage

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
So the players will end up getting a 20% pay cut and some dont want to play, well that’s fine but like the rest of us you don’t go to work you don’t get paid at all, at my work we are doing everything we can including taking pay cuts and working o/t here and there with no pay just so the company survives and we can keep our jobs (hopefully) after all this finishes, don’t these guys realise if the company doesn’t go ahead this year they might be all out of a job? This game made the players what they are today, show a bit of respect and class and give back to what was given to you.

It's not that they don't want to play. According to James Graham last night players just want some transparency regarding total NRL revenue figures to assure they are going to get a fair share of the pie . V'landys is trying to tell them they will be getting something like 80 % of their annual salary overall. Understandably based on history, players are not too trusting of the NRL re finances.
There are other concerns which the NRL have not answered yet re medical, insurances, the safety protocols, family support etc as I understand the situation.
It will either go ahead as planned or crash & burn with a fizzle. I'm not betting on either atm

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
The season will go ahead. The players will realise how else will they earn a wage. Whilst I agree they need certain conditions to be met in terms of medical access and safety isn't everybody in the workplace having the same issues.

For the life of me how much would the likes of Addo Carr, Mitchell and others be earning in the real world?? Even with reduce salaries they be still earning morning money than a policeman and Nurse.

I'm losing faith in the game. Let some of them ideal away in the reserve grade and let sme Q Cup players take their places on a fraction of their salaries. This would give them a wake up call.

Last edited:

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
It's not that they don't want to play. According to James Graham last night players just want some transparency regarding total NRL revenue figures to assure they are going to get a fair share of the pie.
The players get a certain percentage of revenue:

It shouldn’t matter about the total revenue, as at a later date when their accounts are made public, it can be verified the payments are as per the existing agreement.

Reactions: Rizzah and Fonzie

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Looks like the restart is going ahead. Warriors cleared to fly.

The way things are changing in both countries it should hopefully be a lot safer in 4 weeks. The NRL getting organised and persisting on trying a find a way to restart the competition has copped a lot of criticism and also kept the sport in the headlines.

Their persistence also means they will get up and running while most other competitions will be waiting for the situation to change and needing to move forward with what their competition might look like.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings