General 2018 NRL Ladder

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Worse still, both the Sharks games against Canberra were stolen from the Raiders. Thats 6 comp points. Raiders would be in the 8, and we would be secure.
yea i remembered people talking about an earlier game, but im not a fan of either team so generally dont follow them. wouldnt that put raiders in 8th place then? 1 game behind the broncos

bruce

Contributor
I don't think Gus would have done it if he wasn't confident he could coach them deep into the finals.
Reading the Sydney press, and Goulds comment they are less concerned about the finals than the future indicates the finals were not utmost in his thoughts. He has been trying to ignore the situation with Griffin but couldn't any longer. I think you can count the Panthers out.
I think we'll go on a run too ( famous last words I know...) we have some games we should win and I think that defensive effort against the dragons is something we can really build off.
To add to the glass half full debate, when they have had Bully, Harris and Blair to lead the forwards around they dominate and the backs take over. When they don't dominate we get mugged. What chance of having those three on deck between now and 31 August? Watch out top four I say.

it has to be said that of the 6 Panthers second half comebacks, 5 were against teams outside the top 8. Like us, they have no problem beating shit teams but they have struggled and been blown off the park by the genuine title contenders. They were bashed by the Roosters at Allianz and obliterated by the Broncs in Brisbane and if they had tried those shenanigans in Melbourne, our 50-10 scoreline would have been tame for them. I'm not impressed with the Panthers, they are like us in many ways, hot on attack but have some worrying defensive deficiencies (especially Maloney and his edge). I can't see them beating genuine top 4 sides which they haven't done this year.

do you really think the sharks are that much better than the warriors that they will win all their remaining games. Personally i think they are the pretenders only there because of a leg up and more likely to fall than others. Their games against Canberra and the warriors were both games they should have lost and thats 4 points they would then be out of the 8 running with a chance in the pack.

That seems to be the popular line of thought but I think they're made for finals when u look at their pack and the amount of experience in their team.
Yes they've been lucky in a couple of games but they were also robbed in both losses to the broncos and got the rough end of the pineapple against manly on the weekend so it's swings and roundabouts.
For some reason they have a lot of close games.
If u look at their run home yeah I think they'll win them all.
They have a tough one this week against the storm but they have a very good recent record against the storm- seem to have the wood on them and smith is under an injury cloud.
If they can get through that they then face the cowboys, knights and dogs and should account for all them.
The only thing that would worry me if u was a sharks fan (and I'm not- can't stand them) is weather they have enough points in them to go all the way.
We'll find out soon.

its nice to see the Warriors standing firm for the first time in many years.

They still have a chance at making the top 4. They need to keep winning, the 4th spot is up for grabs.
Gould may have helped them out by firing the Panthers coach. Its crazy that he would fire the coach that took his team to the top 4.

its crazy to think we are in the finals, been so long and we getting our full strength squad back as well perfect timing,...

Tohu Harris had a long injury to the back end of last season too and was my player of the Final (not sure who was MoM?) so no worries with there hes a pro....

hoping Pulu gets some match fitness in, been a bit lacklustre since coming back, he was playing mean footy before he went down injured...

if all our fowards are firing on all cylinders and Luke behind the wheel we can def beat any team in the comp..... just keep winning boys

DAMN cant wait

panthers have come from behind, late !! in the last 3 games, if they had dropped all of those we could be 5th

but fuck it, im happy where we are with 3 to go !

someone correct me if im wrong, shit i forgot where i was for a second there, of course i will be corrected LMAO !!!!

The playoffs changed a couple of seasons back and its now top 4 play each other and bottom 4. so 5th and 6th get a home semi against 7 and 8.

Back later, im about to go line up at Mt Smart !

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
This knob really has it in for us, yeah I hear those who say history tells us he is right but we are obviously a far better (yet by no means perfect) team than previous.

4th - 6th spot is our finishing spot but LEGO nuts over here thinks.....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/4bfccf4925b34fded717ca1f3cc93b7e
“They will either collapse or keep going...”

Really Matty - thanks - very insightful.

I am going to get up and take my plate to the sink - I will either rinse the plate or not, either way, my prediction will be correct.

Been getting lessons from Gus Gould Matty?

LOL

Thank Gawd we don't play the Hayne planes...they look ready to put a dent in the confidence of anyone in their path.

The Raiders loom as a nasty home game at the end of a season.

Still...that either makes for great prep for the finals or horror exposure...yet in the Warriors case...a good old thrashing makes them twice as hard to play the following week...one of the Radio sports commentators was cheeky enough to put that to Kearney "With the form of lose one win one...is it tempting to put out a weak side and let the Raiders thrash you for the finals ?

That Penrith Game looms as massive with every point being worth double as both sides attack each others for and against while taking a swing at their table position.

I like the look of the Dragons demise and the Panthers making more errors under their new coach than ever.

Most likely path to beating Penrith though..will be a close one where the Warriors ruin their second half come back with epic defence.

Most likely scenario in our final game is we drop our bundle.

Plenty of Drama to come with the top four being dangled just out of reach for now.

its nice to see the Warriors standing firm for the first time in many years.

They still have a chance at making the top 4. They need to keep winning, the 4th spot is up for grabs.
Gould may have helped them out by firing the Panthers coach. Its crazy that he would fire the coach that took his team to the top 4.
thanks to that great start even when we have had our slump, we have not dropped right out of the eight race.

If our poor form period could be tidied up to more respectable losses like the Storm and Sharks game...our for and against would have us in strong contention to play realistic finals footy.

The cold hard truth is nothing but the form of the early rounds will get us anywhere near the Grand Final.

With good fortune on the injury front it can be done with those players.

Stalefish540

Contributor
panthers have come from behind, late !! in the last 3 games, if they had dropped all of those we could be 5th

but fuck it, im happy where we are with 3 to go !

someone correct me if im wrong, shit i forgot where i was for a second there, of course i will be corrected LMAO !!!!

The playoffs changed a couple of seasons back and its now top 4 play each other and bottom 4. so 5th and 6th get a home semi against 7 and 8.

Back later, im about to go line up at Mt Smart !
I think someone said NRL have said we can't have any finals games at Mt. Smart and that they will be at Eden park if we have any??

I can't find anything on google when i've searched to confirm this though.

Reactions: tajhay and Sup42
I think someone said NRL have said we can't have any finals games at Mt. Smart and that they will be at Eden park if we have any??

I can't find anything on google when i've searched to confirm this though.
We have discussed that the last few years. It might have been mentioned in articles around the move to Eden Park/Waterfront Stadium etc but like you I haven't seen anything official.

Best way to clear it up is for the club to earn a home semi final. That will clear it up.;)

Or any journalists reading this write an article about it or pose the question next time you interview the CEO. Still think the above is the better way to go, more fun that way.

We can hope the NRL changes its mind about Mt Smart.
The scenes at last years world cup when it was full thanks to the large Tongan crowds might have helped us out on that front.

The Aussie sides will complain that we get to play at our home ground instead of a "regional" ground. They would see that as a small victory with a change of venue. Probably rub it in if they won the coin toss as well.

Coming to end part of the season and at this point in time the Warriors are the best performed team away from home in the comp......who'd have thought it lol
That is a great achievement and an amazing turn around from last year with I think one win away from home.

Now will that get picked up the last few rounds or into the finals? The commentators have made a bigger deal about our run home having mainly home games.

Reactions: South Island NRL