• Poll closed .
Take cover - she's warming up those vocal cords:

upload_2017-7-29_8-7-49.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

bruce

Contributor
Take cover - she's warming up those vocal cords:
Mate she has finished and is out the back with a groupie.

This piece from David Long at Fairfax.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ken-record-when-it-comes-to-whats-going-wrong
Warriors a broken record when it comes to what's going wrong
DAVID LONG

Last updated 19:47, July 29 2017

When it comes to the Warriors, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

This year there has been a new coach, different players and a fresh approach, but still, after all this time, it's basic errors that are costing the team.

The 26-12 loss to the Sharks at Mt Smart Stadium on Friday night was one of those occasions where that happened too often.

For large parts of the match they were as good as the Sharks, they built some nice attacks, defended well and kept their structure.
But then all that good work came to nothing thanks to dropped balls when close to the Sharks line, or the leaking of soft tries.
"It felt like we gave them the ball heaps and we definitely lost it for ourselves, with those easy turnovers and soft tries."

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney has all but conceded the team won't finish in the top eight this season.

The Warriors need to win their five remaining games to make the playoff and even then they're relying on other games to go their way.

However, Matulino says they're not giving up.

"Five wins in a row would be nice and I definitely feel that we can do that," he said.

The 28-year-old Matulino will have just two more home games at Mt Smart Stadium before he departs to the next chapter of his career on the other side of the Tasman.

He tasted finals footy early in his Warriors days, but has gone through a tough time over the past six years, as have their fans.

For someone who's given so much to the club and twice been their player of the year, it would be a sad way for his time at the Warriors to come to an end if they don't make the playoffs.

"It would be disappointing, but I still love playing for this club," he said.

"This club has given me a lot, it gave me the opportunity to come up here and has kept me for 10 years.

"I love playing for this club and I know they will be alright."

While he'll be heading off to work under Ivan Cleary again, Matulino believes the Warriors are making progress and the players in the team are learning from these tough times.

"From the young guys like Sam (Lisone), Albert (Vete) and Solomone (Kata), they are definitely clued up on how this is played," he said.

"I know that a guy like Sam is going to carry this club and the way he's moulded as a prop is with the new style of play and he's going to be a leader.

"It's exciting to see what he's going to be like in the future."

Goodbye Ben. I have loved watching you but you obviously got too much affected by the bro thing. I cannot see where Lisone is a leader or a good prop. Reckon you could take him with you?

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
We are still a chance teams still have to fly over here and there is a chance that there plane will crash.

Come on people dont get down were still chance

• Haha
I'm starting to think that there's a lot of cognitive dissonance going around with regards to the Warriors. People are looking at the team like they are a top 8 team, and then seeing these bog average performances trying to fit this into the preconceived top 8 idea.

The reality is this team hasn't been anything near a finals footy team since 2011. We should have been rebuilding in 2013 but instead the club was trying to get the players to play to their potential, as if that was all that we needed to do to win this comp.

Reality is this club hasn't been worthy of finals footy for the last 6 seasons. The sooner this is accepted as fact the sooner we can start rebuilding.

Ownership of failure is important IMO. Saying it's just a failure to reach potential is BS. They reached their potential every season. Even Konrad showing up overweight was him reaching his potential at the time. At his age, and with his family obligations, that was the best he could do. Potential achieved.

That's it. They can't do any better. No point flogging them to death.

Reactions: 5 users
After watching the Crusaders demolish the Chiefs, with no ball and no field position, it made me think.

Two points that stood out with regards to the Warriors.

We've got a lot of players who grew up with Union and are struggling to learn how to attack using classic league formations. This means, even with mega offloads, we'll never be the best offensive team in the comp. The storm will always be sharper and slicker on attack than us. This is a fact of life for a Warriors fan sorry.

The other point is that our defense when it's on looks a lot like the Crusaders scramble defense. Players who just keep swarming and showing up where they need to be to shut the play down. We saw a glimpse of the aggressive defense a few years back, and then it faded.

So our best chance of winning the comp isn't through being the best attacking team, but by being the best defensive team. We need to be swarming and scrambling other teams out of games, and when they get frustrated we unleash our ad lib players on them.

That's the razzel dazzel we all crave. After a period of strong, blitzing defense we punish the slightest error with some individual brilliance..

I've got no idea how long it's going to take before our defense gets up to standard, but seeing as we're rebuilding for next season, that's got to be the goal IMO.

• Haha
Some wag on the Kennel forum which at times mirrors this one reckons if they win the last six games from there
remaining five games they can make the semis LOL

• Haha

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
You have to feel sorry for Mannering. Lets hope he doesn't get near Tim Mannah record but with the way this club is playing at the moment it could be on the cards.
Simon Mannering closing in on NRL's unwanted record

SMOMTXNQDNAW7GV2PUU3YPIXL4.jpg

Simon Mannering of the Warriors. Photo / Getty
By: Niall Anderson

A playoff appearance will be sweet relief for Eels stalwart Tim Mannah, who currently leads the way with the most consecutive games played without a playoff appearance. Mannah made the playoffs in his debut season, but has since played a record 170 games without returning to the finals - a streak which will soon end.

Former Eel Joseph Paulo, who has played 147 NRL games without a playoff game, is also set to break his playoff duck with the third-placed Cronulla Sharks, leaving five long-term Warriors at the top of the heap.

The unluckiest Warrior is the ever-present Mannering, who has been a consistent performer in a slew of under-performing Warriors squads. Mannering has played 129 games since his last playoff game, and is followed by fellow regulars Shaun Johnson (126 games), Jacob Lillyman (123 games) and Ben Matulino (122 games). Bodene Thompson (123 games) also hasn't been to the playoffs since 2010, having failed to make the eight with the Warriors (2015-2017), Tigers (2013-2014) and the Titans (2011-2012).

Other long streaks which are set to continue until 2018 include Tigers forwards Elijah Taylor (118 games) and Aaron Woods (117 games), while Nate Myles (120 games) and Brad Takairangi (118) are both in line to break their lengthy droughts with the Melbourne Storm and Eels respectively.

As a result, it looks set that the Warriors' players will hold the longest playoff droughts in the NRL, and that barren stretch may continue next season, according to former Kiwis and Warriors coach Brian McClennan.

"They've obviously got a plan in their mind of how they want it to be and they're heading towards that, [but] I think it's going to be another hard year next year really, the way things are going. I think they'll improve, but will it be enough? I'm not sure," McClennan told Radio Sport.

"I don't see it getting dramatically better, I think it takes time. There are little progresses there, but if I'm putting money down next year on whether they'll make the eight, I would say no. I think this re-build is going to take a little bit of time."

That time may be something the veteran Warriors don't have on their side, as they face another year at home during the finals series.

Most consecutive games since last playoff appearance (* = likely to end)

1. Tim Mannah - 170 games*
2. Joseph Paulo - 147*
3. Simon Mannering - 129
4. Shaun Johnson - 126
5. Bodene Thompson - 123
6. Jacob Lillyman - 123
7. Ben Matulino - 122
8. Nate Myles - 120*
9. Elijah Taylor - 118
10. Brad Takairangi - 118*
11. Aaron Woods - 117
12. Chris Lawrence - 108
13. Chase Stanley - 106
14. William Zillman - 106
15. Martin Taupau - 102*

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11897310

• Haha
You have to feel sorry for Mannering. Lets hope he doesn't get near Tim Mannah record but with the way this club is playing at the moment it could be on the cards.
Simon Mannering closing in on NRL's unwanted record

SMOMTXNQDNAW7GV2PUU3YPIXL4.jpg

Simon Mannering of the Warriors. Photo / Getty
By: Niall Anderson

A playoff appearance will be sweet relief for Eels stalwart Tim Mannah, who currently leads the way with the most consecutive games played without a playoff appearance. Mannah made the playoffs in his debut season, but has since played a record 170 games without returning to the finals - a streak which will soon end.

Former Eel Joseph Paulo, who has played 147 NRL games without a playoff game, is also set to break his playoff duck with the third-placed Cronulla Sharks, leaving five long-term Warriors at the top of the heap.

The unluckiest Warrior is the ever-present Mannering, who has been a consistent performer in a slew of under-performing Warriors squads. Mannering has played 129 games since his last playoff game, and is followed by fellow regulars Shaun Johnson (126 games), Jacob Lillyman (123 games) and Ben Matulino (122 games). Bodene Thompson (123 games) also hasn't been to the playoffs since 2010, having failed to make the eight with the Warriors (2015-2017), Tigers (2013-2014) and the Titans (2011-2012).

Other long streaks which are set to continue until 2018 include Tigers forwards Elijah Taylor (118 games) and Aaron Woods (117 games), while Nate Myles (120 games) and Brad Takairangi (118) are both in line to break their lengthy droughts with the Melbourne Storm and Eels respectively.

As a result, it looks set that the Warriors' players will hold the longest playoff droughts in the NRL, and that barren stretch may continue next season, according to former Kiwis and Warriors coach Brian McClennan.

"They've obviously got a plan in their mind of how they want it to be and they're heading towards that, [but] I think it's going to be another hard year next year really, the way things are going. I think they'll improve, but will it be enough? I'm not sure," McClennan told Radio Sport.

"I don't see it getting dramatically better, I think it takes time. There are little progresses there, but if I'm putting money down next year on whether they'll make the eight, I would say no. I think this re-build is going to take a little bit of time."

That time may be something the veteran Warriors don't have on their side, as they face another year at home during the finals series.

Most consecutive games since last playoff appearance (* = likely to end)

1. Tim Mannah - 170 games*
2. Joseph Paulo - 147*
3. Simon Mannering - 129
4. Shaun Johnson - 126
5. Bodene Thompson - 123
6. Jacob Lillyman - 123
7. Ben Matulino - 122
8. Nate Myles - 120*
9. Elijah Taylor - 118
10. Brad Takairangi - 118*
11. Aaron Woods - 117
12. Chris Lawrence - 108
13. Chase Stanley - 106
14. William Zillman - 106
15. Martin Taupau - 102*

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11897310

Thats just embarrasing

bruce

Contributor
Look at all the Warriors or former Warriors on that list. No wonder they don't want to come here, and people are blaming Kearney.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user