Recruitment 2016 Warriors Recruitment Strategy and Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Graham Henry is on the board we should use his expertise to recruit union players. I know it's not ideal recruiting from union but they have a lot of great athletes that are fringe super rugby players or just mitre 10 cup players. We wouldn't have to try convince players to move over from Oz. Joe Edwards from auckland would make a fine sexond rower - he also use to play rugby for St Kents with Albie Vete
Very good player. Would of expected him to be starting for a blues and even an abs squad member by now. Havnt followed him much since he left st Kents but he must of had a few injuries over the years

• Haha
Reactions: rob
Very good player. Would of expected him to be starting for a blues and even an abs squad member by now. Havnt followed him much since he left st Kents but he must of had a few injuries over the years

He barely gets a start for Auckland these days. He's behind Luatua, Ioane and Seu. Another few players that would be worth a look at would be Jordan Manihera, So’otala Fa’aso’o and Tj Faiane

Reactions: Billy Teets James
Hmm, I think signing guys who can't make the Auckland Blues is clutching at straws. Maybe throw them a second tier contract if they trial and impress for the NSWarriors squad.. Even if we signed Matt Duffie, who has played league for years, I wouldn't be confident in him playing much first grade.

Hmm, I think signing guys who can't make the Auckland Blues is clutching at straws. Maybe throw them a second tier contract if they trial and impress for the NSWarriors squad.. Even if we signed Matt Duffie, who has played league for years, I wouldn't be confident in him playing much first grade.

Totally agree. We already lament the lack of basic league skills, knowledge and awareness of the players that come through our system - because of a dirth of quality coaching for juniors, etc - surely we don't need to exacerbate that problem by bringing in non top tier union players who don't understand the game at a high level...

Billy Teets James

He barely gets a start for Auckland these days. He's behind Luatua, Ioane and Seu. Another few players that would be worth a look at would be Jordan Manihera, So’otala Fa’aso’o and Tj Faiane
So'otala Is a beast! Still young, Big boy and can play. Definitely would have him.

Billy Teets James

Totally off topic. But has to do with Kearney. Recruitment wise i see he likes his Maori players, I'd prefer the Australian born Maori who have come through the Australian system.
Mentally tougher (So they say) and can stick to game plans/structures. Not just relying on brute strength and natural ability.
I had a blog for a while, That was all about Australian born players with pacific island/ Maori heritage. Australian players with Maori parent/s :
Javid Bowen
Dylan Walker
Corey Norman
Valentine Holmes
Kaylyn Ponga
Jordan Mclean
Dane Gagai
Josh Hoffman.

Kearney can persuade one/couple of them with a hangi and a boil up and get them here?

No?........Ok. don't mind me. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: pantera nhl
Totally off topic. But has to do with Kearney. Recruitment wise i see he likes his Maori players, I'd prefer the Australian born Maori who have come through the Australian system.
Mentally tougher (So they say) and can stick to game plans/structures. Not just relying on brute strength and natural ability.
I had a blog for a while, That was all about Australian born players with pacific island/ Maori heritage. Australian players with Maori parent/s :
Javid Bowen
Dylan Walker
Corey Norman
Valentine Holmes
Kaylyn Ponga
Jordan Mclean
Dane Gagai
Josh Hoffman.

Kearney can persuade one/couple of them with a hangi and a boil up and get them here?

Jordan Kahu
Elijah Taylor
Sam McKendry

Billy Teets James

Jordan Kahu
Elijah Taylor
Sam McKendry
I was talking about Aussie born Maori. Although Sam was born in shrimp on the barbi land.

*Edit There are a heap more i could of added. But thought I'd mention these blokes in particular, as a lot of people don't know that they are part maori.

Last edited by a moderator:
Javid Bowen
Dylan Walker
Corey Norman
Valentine Holmes
Kaylyn Ponga
Jordan Mclean
Dane Gagai
Josh Hoffman.

Hoffman had a great season.
Would have no issues if he was recalled to the Kiwi squad.

Dylan Walker was at the other end of the scale in my opinion.
Shuffled around at Manly.
Gave the young man no chance to really settle in.
We know what he can do, he usually saves his best for us.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Dont forget Tohu Harris wasnt even wanted by Hawkes Bay Rugby. Malakai Fekitoa wasnt wanted by the Auckland Blues. All about identifying the right candidates...

bruce

Contributor
Dont forget Tohu Harris wasnt even wanted by Hawkes Bay Rugby. Malakai Fekitoa wasnt wanted by the Auckland Blues. All about identifying the right candidates...
The Blues didn't want Konnie Hurrell either.
Javid Bowen
Dylan Walker
Corey Norman
Valentine Holmes
Kaylyn Ponga
Jordan Mclean
Dane Gagai
Josh Hoffman.

You forgot Jonathan Thurston

Reactions: MurrayTD
While its just scraps left on the market at this stage, I think we should be targeting Zane Musgrove to boost our prop competition. Very young, from Auckland, plays with aggression and always bends the line. He would fit in well with our young prop rotation of Vete, Lisone, Sipley and Afoa. If we can't get him on board I think we make do with what we have as the next best off contract props are not better than what we have currently (Sam Tagataese, Eloni Vunakece, Josh Starling) or out of our price range (Sam Moa) or young props that may still have some potential left but aren't worth the hassle or risk of bringing over (Francis Molo, Andy Saunders, Braden Uele).

There is nothing available on the wing that is better than what we have, however, one option could be Vai Toutai, could be a good succession plan for Manu next year. Other options that I don't think will happen are Tony Tumusa (his height will limit him at NRL level) or Reimis Smith (Dogs will do everything to keep him I'd imagine).

At second row, truthfully, I don't think we'll make any moves. Hoffman is still under contract, Bodene is going good and we have Ogden and Afoa coming through. Kelepi Tanginoa could be worth a punt as a line breaker and hole runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.