Recruitment 2016 Warriors Recruitment Strategy and Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tragic

Tragic

Contributor
What about Duffy? Surely he doesn't want another year at the Blues?

Blain

Blain

I just want to see a good signing or two that's actually going to make us look forward to next season.

Currently all we know is that we have the same exact team and coaching staff, minus a couple. If we don't change anything, how are we ever going to make the 8, let alone become title contenders..

It's just depressing for us loyal, long suffering Warriors fans.

Come on Jim ya bastard, pull one out of the hat here mate, we need an exciting forward so badly, go and get NAS and get us smiling again..

Blain

Blain

Junior Pauga looks like a beast, playing centre in Juniors but maybe they're thinking he'll solve our wing troubles in the future? Got the attributes to do really well out wide.

Shame for Wells, probably the case of being a good reserve player, and that's as far as the coaching staff think. He would have got a go this year at full back if Cappy and co rated him.

6 Again

This is what we've seen, if your a standout in the U20's which Junior Pauga has been you step up to the Cup side to play against men. With Bunty & Ata this season it's given them a leg up into first grade and they haven't looked out of place.

Same thing for Junior, there's a spot now in the cup side for next season and if he makes a good fist of it he could be making his first grade debut.

Jordan G

It becomes a difficult balancing act, and one that we're very limited with. Someone posted something earlier in the week that JD said that a team needs 30 players who are first grade quality or something to that effect. Then you throw in the guys who need to come up early from NYC to be developed properly and that immediately leaves no room for some players other than local footy which isn't really up to standard.

The Storm and Broncos have more than one feeder club in the QLD Cup. More opportunity, more development, more competition.

I don't know what the solution is. As much as I'd like another team in the QLD Cup it wouldn't be cheap. Although I don't mind the idea of renting out a house/apartments iin QLD and moving guys over to QLD for a year and aligning with a QLD Cup side that way. Might be good for any future players we have who are talented but surrounded by a bad element. We could shift them out of their comfort zone without letting them go first.

Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
It becomes a difficult balancing act, and one that we're very limited with. Someone posted something earlier in the week that JD said that a team needs 30 players who are first grade quality or something to that effect. Then you throw in the guys who need to come up early from NYC to be developed properly and that immediately leaves no room for some players other than local footy which isn't really up to standard.

The Storm and Broncos have more than one feeder club in the QLD Cup. More opportunity, more development, more competition.

I don't know what the solution is. As much as I'd like another team in the QLD Cup it wouldn't be cheap. Although I don't mind the idea of renting out a house/apartments iin QLD and moving guys over to QLD for a year and aligning with a QLD Cup side that way. Might be good for any future players we have who are talented but surrounded by a bad element. We could shift them out of their comfort zone without letting them go first.
I like that idea as the qld cup is a great breeding ground for first grade players thats were brent webby was found.

Reactions: bruce

Jordan G

It won't free up anything extra. Lousi not being re-signed was a no brainer and probably already factored into what we had to spend next season. Ali/Wells weren't on anything worth noting.

up the guts

It won't free up anything extra. Lousi not being re-signed was a no brainer and probably already factored into what we had to spend next season. Ali/Wells weren't on anything worth noting.
So can anyone tell me how the people at the top seen manu staying on the wing till the end of 2018 ... hes gotta be 7 or 8 % of the cap alone ... nah they have shit the bed and now they have sleep in it , at least untill the end of next season

Reactions: tajhay
bruce

bruce

Contributor
I agree with having feeder clubs in Queensland. It isn't just that Queensland is a league state but they have more of the country boys that even NSW no longer has. That may be the reason NSW are losing in the SOO. It also means the Warriors should be spending more time looking at Jesse Bromwichs in rural NZ rather than hanging out in South Auckland.

Beastmode

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
I agree with having feeder clubs in Queensland. It isn't just that Queensland is a league state but they have more of the country boys that even NSW no longer has. That may be the reason NSW are losing in the SOO. It also means the Warriors should be spending more time looking at Jesse Bromwichs in rural NZ rather than hanging out in South Auckland.

Thats a very good point.

The farmer boys will have a point to prove in the big city.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Thats a very good point.

The farmer boys will have a point to prove in the big city.
A few years ago I got involved in some recruiting trials here with an NRL club (not the Warriors, it wasn't south Auckland and there was no latte for bloody miles.)

Because there was no night life the evenings were spent drinking some Lion Rouge and talking sensible rugby league. Geez I learned some stuff. These guys were professional about what they were after and knew just what they wanted. They described country boys as kids who spend time running around, climbing trees, hunting and fishing instead of sitting on their arses at Maccas playing video games. I could see where the Warriors had it wrong with recruitment way back then.

Beastmode

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
A few years ago I got involved in some recruiting trials here with an NRL club (not the Warriors, it wasn't south Auckland and there was no latte for bloody miles.)

Because there was no night life the evenings were spent drinking some Lion Rouge and talking sensible rugby league. Geez I learned some stuff. These guys were professional about what they were after and knew just what they wanted. They described country boys as kids who spend time running around, climbing trees, hunting and fishing instead of sitting on their arses at Maccas playing video games. I could see where the Warriors had it wrong with recruitment way back then.

Yeah, i hear you. I think theres great untapped potential, but fuck knows how you tap into that when the farm boys all grow up wanting to play for the All Blacks.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Yeah, i hear you. I think theres great untapped potential, but fuck knows how you tap into that when the farm boys all grow up wanting to play for the All Blacks.
You would be surprised. A lot of the kids want to give league a go, and they find it more physical and enjoyable. The trouble is school headmasters and parents that don't like the game. They are still out there. The Storm and Penrith found some country boys here. When was the last time the Warriors signed a country boy?

Last edited:
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

You would be surprised. A lot of the kids want to give league a go, and they find it more physical and enjoyable. The trouble is school headmasters and parents that don't like the game. They are still out there. The Storm and Penrith found some country boys here. When was the last time the Warriors signed a country boy?
One strategy would be to slip a Mickey into the under performing playes mad Monday drinks.... https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11703708

Fucking dope test more like.

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Theorising time:

Problem: Too many locals, by local I mean fully developed by the Warrior system and no one else.

Lack basic skills, lack consistency, confidence, string 3 good games together and get rewarded with a contract extension.

Cappy (and Bluey “we don’t need to sign anyone” Mclennan) seem to think these guys will kick on and improve, for the most part they don’t.

These guys might do good things once they are out of their comfort zone and have to work like dogs for their chance, good luck to them at other clubs, not happening in Auckland.

Solution: Maximum of 12 locals in the top 25 squad at any one time.

Fine print: if you were once a local like Roger Tuivasa-Sheck but have spent a minimum of 3 years in another first grade system, you are no longer considered a local, opens the door for your homecoming kiwi player, or once a local junior has got the rubbish out of their game.

How it works in reality:

As at the start of the 2016 year the a rough list of the top 25 players 16-9 split.
(don’t come at me with so and so isn’t on a full time deal, its close enough)
Capture
Of those 5 have already left or won't be returning your squad is now 13 locals 7 outsiders.

Assume some of these places have been filled by the likes of Afoa, Maumalo or Hingano on a full contract.

We will pretend there it is now 15 locals, 7 outsiders, with 3 places to fill.

Fill those 3 spots with outsiders. Find your 3 most underperforming locals (these can be big names or youths, don’t care) and tell them they are free to look elsewhere.

Replace with 3 more outsiders to get your squad to the 13-12 majority. These outsiders don’t have to be great players, they just need to be worthy of a top 25 deal. But keep the contracts short, no more giving the likes of Allwood 3 years. We aren’t talking paying overs for name value, and no pricks ready for the retirement home either. If you can get a big $ local to piss off, obvs you can now afford to buy a better class of outsider.

Can do a big reshaping next offseason, but stick to the minority local rule. This way you are only keeping the best of what you have developed, not handing out contracts like lollies because they did some solid hit ups and didn’t drop the ball. You would still need to fill the remainder of your reserve grade team with ex U20s on 2nd tier deals. Or your Gavet’s looking for a last chance.

Its quite mean spirited, cutting the pathway for your local players, but it should be hard to crack the warriors squad, and once you get there a bunch of your peers from your junior days are trying to take your place.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.