Recruitment 2016 Warriors Recruitment Strategy and Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANZ

I think it start further even back than that.
I go down and watch my mates kids play over here and the level just blows me away- esp in the rep carnivals.
10yr old kids know things I didn't learn till seniors in NZ.

Definitely starts with our coaches being better here in NZ.

We have physically gifted players here in NZ - majority are coached by people with a love for the game but not necessarily the knowledge/experience of the game or even more importantly of how to coach/teach, and so by the time our players reach u20s many don't have a lot of the knowledge that Australians have at the same age.

If something was done to better develop our coaches at all levels in NZ - we would begin to see a real dominance of rugby league in our country.

brightman

brightman

I think it start further even back than that.
I go down and watch my mates kids play over here and the level just blows me away- esp in the rep carnivals.
It's true they are much more advanced than us but they have a base akin to rugby union's in NZ with results that are aligned.
But, we still have the naturally better suited players, unfortunately Rugby League in NZ can only achieve significant gains if the Kiwis and Warriors dominate and capture the imaginations of the greater public and inspire more growth.
Good to see Kearney and the Kiwis having successes and helping the cause, but that McFadden has everything in his favour and still hasn't produced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence
snake77

snake77

On the matty johns show last night they were interviewing the new blues players- graham, bird and tedesco and one of the questions they asked was what club would u least like to play for and all 3 of them said the Warriors because of all the travel they have to do.
Hardly breaking news but just a reminder of one of the major disadvantages we face as a club.
Not only is this something our players have to deal with on a constant basis but it also has a massive negative affect on our ability to recruit quality players.
Although not surprising it is good to hear that instead of the usual inconsistent, or being described as a basket case. It also puts it out there and probably justifies Doyle's strategy of trying to bring New Zealanders home.

The travel would be a novelty to start with but like any job you travel a lot it would wear on you after a while.

I posted somewhere before Cronulla play out of NSW only three times, round 1 in NQ, round 7 in the ACT and round 26 in Melbourne. That's not fair at all. Sydney teams have a massive advantage
This year we had two teams bring one of their home games over here which means this year we have less overseas travel than we normally do. It is a shame we started the year so poorly as we didn't take advantage of it. There has been a lot of debate over the years on the impact the amount of travel has on the side. This would have been a good test on that.

The travel is something the club has to deal with due to being in an Australian competition. It is interesting to hear of players mentioning it as a deterrent for not wanting to come here. Most of the discussion on travel is more performance and recovery related. Recruitment isn't really mentioned, it's more the move away from Australia not the travelling back and forth each week.

Reactions: Defence and Trugoy
Trugoy

Trugoy

Definitely starts with our coaches being better here in NZ.

We have physically gifted players here in NZ - majority are coached by people with a love for the game but not necessarily the knowledge/experience of the game or even more importantly of how to coach/teach, and so by the time our players reach u20s many don't have a lot of the knowledge that Australians have at the same age.

If something was done to better develop our coaches at all levels in NZ - we would begin to see a real dominance of rugby league in our country.
Agree.
I still remember when Daniel Anderson first came in at the Warriors and said how naturally gifted our locally produced players were but lacked the basic learnt skills that kids are taught in Australia from day one.
Pretty sure that the first training runs with the new regime focused solely on the basics, stuff as simple as playing the ball correctly.

Reactions: DANZ and Defence
Trugoy

Trugoy

It's true they are much more advanced than us but they have a base akin to rugby union's in NZ with results that are aligned.
But, we still have the naturally better suited players, unfortunately Rugby League in NZ can only achieve significant gains if the Kiwis and Warriors dominate and capture the imaginations of the greater public and inspire more growth.
Good to see Kearney and the Kiwis having successes and helping the cause, but that McFadden has everything in his favour and still hasn't produced.
Very true. As supportive of the Kiwis as NZ is, the popularity and growth of the game in NZ is on the Warriors shoulders.
If the Warriors can win a premiership and can stay a consistently top side, a'la Brisbane or Melbourne, then the game in NZ changes forever imo.

Defence

Defence

Very true. As supportive of the Kiwis as NZ is, the popularity and growth of the game in NZ is on the Warriors shoulders.
If the Warriors can win a premiership and can stay a consistently top side, a'la Brisbane or Melbourne, then the game in NZ changes forever imo.

Bit of a catch 22 really isn't it.
For the game to thrive in NZ we need the Warriors to succeed but for the Warriors to succeed they need the game to thrive in NZ :banghead:

How the fark do the breakers do it?

Reactions: DANZ and Trugoy
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
For the game to thrive in NZ we need the Warriors to succeed but for the Warriors to succeed they need the game to thrive in NZ :banghead:

Breakers do it with recruitment so we're back to square one lol...

Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

The Breakers do it with good administration.
New Zealand Rugby League has always been a professional sport run by Amateurs who have continuously ignored calls to bring in professional administrators.
Change must always start at the top and filter down, and like the Warriors have now adopted a "No Dickheads" policy the same thing must happen with the NZ League Administrators.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
I think it starts even further back than that.
That is because a lot of our junior players come from rugby backgrounds and also like to use their "natural" talent, which involves strength and flair more than skill.
Guys like Steve Kearney who gone on to have substantial coaching careers is the missing ingredient for Rugby League in NZ.
Stephen Kearney was always going to be the ultimate professional, he was like that as a junior in Wellington. I don't know where he learnt it down there but he was right into studying all aspects of the game even back then.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
New Zealand Rugby League has always been a professional sport run by Amateurs who have continuously ignored calls to bring in professional administrators.
Change must always start at the top and filter down, and like the Warriors have now adopted a "No Dickheads" policy the same thing must happen with the NZ League Administrators.
There are plenty of dickheads in the game in Sydney, there is no doubt about that. Ian Robson came from league there and is still working there, albeit in soccer. The difference it has always been a professional code there whereas here it has been semi professional at best. The needs of the professional game tend to sort the dickheads out. However we have one of the most professional CEO's going so things are looking good here.

Reactions: Freddie Futler
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
The impact that the Pak n Save owners have had cant be ignored but the Breakers have recruited some major talent over the years in Cedric Jackson, Daryl Corletto, Will Hudson and C J Bruton. You could also throw in the recruitment of Head Coach Andrej Lemanis. Even Kirk Penny wasnt developed by them but was a huge part of the 4 Championships that the Breakers have won...

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Agree.
I still remember when Daniel Anderson first came in at the Warriors and said how naturally gifted our locally produced players were but lacked the basic learnt skills that kids are taught in Australia from day one.
Pretty sure that the first training runs with the new regime focused solely on the basics, stuff as simple as playing the ball correctly.
I remember Ivan Cleary commenting (when he was playing here) that the skills sessions from Anderson were intense, and raised his eyebrows as he said it. That probably means he was training on stuff he knew from being a junior
The impact that the Pak n Save owners have had cant be ignored
It all starts at the top, and apparently Paul is as good as it gets.

Reactions: mt.wellington
Defence

Defence

The impact that the Pak n Save owners have had cant be ignored but the Breakers have recruited some major talent over the years in Cedric Jackson, Daryl Corletto, Will Hudson and C J Bruton. You could also throw in the recruitment of Head Coach Andrej Lemanis. Even Kirk Penny wasnt developed by them but was a huge part of the 4 Championships that the Breakers have won...

So all we have to do is recruit some players who couldn't cut it in the American competition?

Jared hayne anyone?

bruce

bruce

Contributor
600480, member: 276"]The impact that the Pak n Save owners have had cant be ignored but the Breakers have recruited some major talent over the years in Cedric Jackson, Daryl Corletto, Will Hudson and C J Bruton. You could also throw in the recruitment of Head Coach Andrej Lemanis. Even Kirk Penny wasnt developed by them but was a huge part of the 4 Championships that the Breakers have won...

So all we have to do is recruit some players who couldn't cut it in the American competition?

Jared hayne anyone?[/QUOTE]
To be fair the ABL isn't the NRL by any means, but Paul does a brilliant job at the Breakers.
Foodstuffs put their managers through the hoops and he obviously carries that into the club.
It is interesting that Steve Price is on the management ladder at Foodstuffs, Waipu is just a stepping stone for him. It might be interesting to see where he ends up.

snake77

snake77

Jared hayne anyone?
We'd get a decent player although it does limit our options and we have a decent fullback already when he recovers.

Or the American rugby league competitions.o_O

Maybe instead we go for guys that couldn't cut it in rugby 7's. Jarryd Hayne anyone?;)
They would also be extremely fit.

• Haha
Reactions: ryno and Defence
Defence

Defence

We'd get a decent player although it does limit our options and we have a decent fullback already when he recovers.

Or the American rugby league competitions.o_O

Maybe instead we go for guys that couldn't cut it in rugby 7's. Jarryd Hayne anyone?;)
They would also be extremely fit.

Maybe we should be looking at some of the guys who DID cut it at 7s.
Maybe a couple of the Fijians who got picked ahead of hayne.

Reactions: mt.wellington
snake77

snake77

That would work as well, I was just continuing the failure or couldn't cut it theme.;)

At least with a 7's player or two we shouldn't need to worry about their conditioning.

Reactions: Defence
Off The Bench

Off The Bench

That whole Fijian team is chock full of made to order NRL wingers. Let's just chuck the bank at the biggest fastest bloke. Sorted! :D

Shit yeah then we can have some awesome flying winger come off the bench
for ten minutes,

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lets think about this and who we shouldn't be re-signing for reasons of age, attitude, staleness, durability etc;

Ben Henry 2016
Charlie Gubb 2016
Jonathan Wright 2016
Sione Lousi 2016
Jeff Robson 2016
Ben Matulino 2017
Jacob Lillyman 2017
Matt Allwood 2017
Ryan Hoffman 2017
Thomas Leuluai 2017
Konrad Hurrell 2018
Manu Vatuvei 2018
Simon Mannering 2018

I would also let any of the above go early if anyone wanted to pick up their salaries so we could start to build a war chest.

I think that we should be building a team around;

1) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

6) Lolohea
7) Johnson

9) Luke

Even if my entire list left tomorrow we could field the team below if we were injury and suspension free;

1) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2) Fusitua
3) Ayshford
4) Kata
5) Maumalo
6) Lolohea
7) Johnson
8) Vete
9) Luke
10) Lisone
11) Thompson
12) Lauitiiti
13) Palavi

14) Tevanga
15) Gavet
16) Sipley
17) Sao

And that team couldn't do much worse than we currently are.

Just bumping this.

I am not sure if any of the players have been given contract extensions since this was posted, but a few players have been released or retired.

• Sad
Reactions: Lems
Status
Not open for further replies.