• Toafofoa Sipley

• Tuimoala Lolohea

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeetTheMonster

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 2, 2016
The Globe
Honestly guys, take a look at yourselves
Making comments like that without elaborating isn't good enough mate - explain how one of the top defensive players in the game wouldn't get a start in any club except the Knights please. Was it sarcasm, or are you just trolling for shits and giggles?

I certainly was not trolling! - It is a opinion I hold very strongly. If Mannering was an Australian at an Australian club I do not believe he would of won one player of the year award and I highly doubt he would be playing NRL level football unless injuries to other players permitted him to do so.

The warriors were desperate to create a club legend they could build a franchise around since the departure of Stacey Jones and the terrible loss of Sonny Fai, who was the most talented jnr footballer in to come out of Auckland in many many years. Mannering got hallmarked as the guy to build the club around. It didnt work but they persisted in the ultimate warriors bullshit story with him.

Mannering for all intensive purposes is a very average footballer with a very high work rate. His attacking ability is sub par, his 2nd phase creation is sub par but his defensive output is very high.

New Zealand Warriors fans are so used to hopeless defenders that any player who can tackle really well earns cult status at the club ala Michael Luck (NRL reject), Kevin Campion (NRL reject) and Simon Mannering.

Simon is a huge reason the Warriors lose, you think his tackling saves the teams ass but the truth is his weak penetration with ball in hand, lack of speed, lack of footwork, lack of impact just adds to the reason why this team cant dominate the middle of the park and win a game.

Simon Mannering represents the old style 2nd rower who could just get by on huge heart, high threshold to pain and defensive ability. The game has evolved embracing Matt Gilletts, Sam Thaidays, Manu Maus, Elliot Whiteheads, Jason Taumalolos, Ethan Lowes etc

The modern game has evolved but the warriors havent and neither have the warriors fans. 5 years missing the finals because we simply dont understand the game and how it needs to be played.

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Having an opinion and feeling strongly about it isn't trolling. I don't necessarily agree with his thoughts on Mannering, but it certainly isn't trolling.
If someone is gonna jump in here & drop one paragraph statements that includes stuff like Simon Mannering being a reserve grader at any other club except the Newcastle Knights ... then I for one am calling that trolling every time ... cos if I wrote what I really wanted to say about it I'd most likely get banned

Now the above post by the said poster in question is admittedly a bit better cos at least said poster has bothered to write a more in depth post that at least elaborates on his deluded thoughts & opinions in a somewhat more concise manner

But when it contains stuff like ...

"If Mannering was an Australian at an Australian club I do not believe he would of won one player of the year award and I highly doubt he would be playing NRL level football unless injuries to other players permitted him to do so"

" New Zealand Warriors fans are so used to hopeless defenders that any player who can tackle really well earns cult status at the club ala Michael Luck (NRL reject),Kevin Campion (NRL reject) and Simon Mannering"

And also this pearler of insightful rugby league wisdom ... "Simon is a huge reason the Warriors lose"

Well it then becomes pretty much impossible for me to take anything the said poster in question says seriously

Just using your post eric as a vehicle to make a critique on the said poster in question cos I know if I respond directly I'm gonna end up going NHB HAM on this dude & I don't want to derail the thread

Last edited:

MeetTheMonster

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 2, 2016
The Globe
If someone is gonna jump in here & drop one paragraph statements that includes stuff like Simon Mannering being a reserve grader at any other club except the Newcastle Knights ... then I for one am calling that trolling every time ... cos if I wrote what I really wanted to say about it I'd most likely get banned

Now the above post by the said poster in question is admittedly a bit better cos at least said poster has bothered to write a more in depth post that at least elaborates on his deluded thoughts & opinions in a somewhat more concise manner

But when it contains stuff like ...

"If Mannering was an Australian at an Australian club I do not believe he would of won one player of the year award and I highly doubt he would be playing NRL level football unless injuries to other players permitted him to do so"

" New Zealand Warriors fans are so used to hopeless defenders that any player who can tackle really well earns cult status at the club ala Michael Luck (NRL reject),Kevin Campion (NRL reject) and Simon Mannering"

And also this pearler of insightful rugby league wisdom ... "Simon is a huge reason the Warriors lose"

Then it becomes pretty much impossible for me to take anything the said poster in question says seriously

Just using your post eric as a vehicle to make a critique on the said poster in question cos I know if I respond directly I'm gonna end up going NHB HAM on this dude & I don't want to derail the thread

See this poster is so in love with a tackling robot that he has no intelligent counter reply. I think Stone represents why the Warriors suck for so long. Blind uneducated to winning rugby league. You wont have a successful NRL team with players like Simon Mannering in it. You just simply wont - 5 years no finals proves that without a shadow of a doubt!!!! There is no comeback to that truth.

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
See this poster is so in love with a tackling robot that he has no intelligent counter reply. I think Stone represents why the Warriors suck for so long. Blind uneducated to winning rugby league. You wont have a successful NRL team with players like Simon Mannering in it. You just simply wont - 5 years no finals proves that without a shadow of a doubt!!!! There is no comeback to that truth.
Ummm - go and look at the previous title winners and see who was in their packs. Cowboys (Cooper and Lowe), Rabbitohs (Clark and Tyrrell), Roosters (Guerra and Aubusson), Storm (Johnson, Hoffman and Hinchcliffe), Sea Eagles (Ballin), Dragons (Creagh and Young). You do realise that half the game is played without the ball therefore you need players that can possess a skill set to contribute when they haven't got the ball. Mannering aside there hasn't been ENOUGH of the those players at the Warriors in recent years.

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
Honestly guys, take a look at yourselves

I certainly was not trolling! - It is a opinion I hold very strongly. If Mannering was an Australian at an Australian club I do not believe he would of won one player of the year award and I highly doubt he would be playing NRL level football unless injuries to other players permitted him to do so.

The warriors were desperate to create a club legend they could build a franchise around since the departure of Stacey Jones and the terrible loss of Sonny Fai, who was the most talented jnr footballer in to come out of Auckland in many many years. Mannering got hallmarked as the guy to build the club around. It didnt work but they persisted in the ultimate warriors bullshit story with him.

Mannering for all intensive purposes is a very average footballer with a very high work rate. His attacking ability is sub par, his 2nd phase creation is sub par but his defensive output is very high.

New Zealand Warriors fans are so used to hopeless defenders that any player who can tackle really well earns cult status at the club ala Michael Luck (NRL reject), Kevin Campion (NRL reject) and Simon Mannering.

Simon is a huge reason the Warriors lose, you think his tackling saves the teams ass but the truth is his weak penetration with ball in hand, lack of speed, lack of footwork, lack of impact just adds to the reason why this team cant dominate the middle of the park and win a game.

Simon Mannering represents the old style 2nd rower who could just get by on huge heart, high threshold to pain and defensive ability. The game has evolved embracing Matt Gilletts, Sam Thaidays, Manu Maus, Elliot Whiteheads, Jason Taumalolos, Ethan Lowes etc

The modern game has evolved but the warriors havent and neither have the warriors fans. 5 years missing the finals because we simply dont understand the game and how it needs to be played.
You need balance - I agree with you that the Warriors haven't got the attacking players in the forwards they need but replacing the one guy that does a great job without the ball is not the solution. I'd get rid of the rest and stick with Mannering then add around some attacking players - like Mau'u and Gillett and the like. Then you might have a pack that matches up well with the ball and without it. Getting a great pack with the ball only works if you have the ball. If the opposition get a run of possession through penalties, dropped balls, accurate kicking game etc you get flogged by 40.

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 24, 2014
TROLL ALERT :troll: ... #DontFeedTheTroll
Highlight reels have blinded you. Pointless trying to discuss it with you as you clearly dont know what youre talking about...

You should ask rival NRL coaches who they would like on their roster. Mannering is rated very highly from what I've seen.
Monster, Talk talk about a dipstick You are pretty good at twisting things. I've found no evidence of anyone,on this forum claiming Mannering,is the complete footballer,apart from you.

So how does this all tie with the Kiwis being ranked number one and Simon Mannering being the captain of that team???
Thats right it was you wanted him playing NSW Cup lol. Ive heard some stupid stuff on here but that took the cake...

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Mannering is a workhorse and every good team needs a workhorse to do the dirty.

And I agree to an extent the workhorses don't normally wins the awards.

Its usually the show ponies like Shaun Johnson.

And I thought we had lots of show ponies in the team.

Turns out they were donkeys.

Well done Cappy you dumbfook.

• Haha
Reactions: Weno and Warrior482

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
There's some great counterpoints there, but c'mon boys, you're wasting your time in all reality (which is why I'm not even gonna bother directly replying to the said poster in question lol)

You're trying to rationalize with a guy who said & I quote ... "Simon is a huge reason the Warriors lose" ... I mean c'mon ... really ... lmao

If that's a genuine opinion then it pretty much tells me all I need to know about this dude

Last edited:

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
In fairness you have a look at the locks still in the playoffs, Merrin, Gallen, Parker, Tamalolo, Finucane and they all run 130m+. Mannering runs for 80 a game. He tackles like a machine but it means we play props on the wing to get that yardage. We need him to go back to being an edge forward like he is in the kiwis where his excellent defensive nous will cover our weaknesses out wide. Great player but I would have give the award to Johnson or kata this year.

MeetTheMonster

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 2, 2016
The Globe
So how does this all tie with the Kiwis being ranked number one and Simon Mannering being the captain of that team???

Kiwis no #1? Their last tour of England and last game against Australia did not show that, always next game though. Mannering gets captain for Kiwis but would me make the Australia team even on the bench ------------ NO

MeetTheMonster

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 2, 2016
The Globe
There's some great counterpoints there, but c'mon boys, you're wasting your time in all reality (which is why I'm not even gonna bother directly replying to the said poster in question lol)

You're trying to rationalize with a guy who said & I quote ... "Simon is a huge reason the Warriors lose" ... I mean c'mon ... really ... lmao

If that's a genuine opinion then it pretty much tells me all I need to know about this dude

Like I said 5 years losing will blind a man to reality.

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2016
In fairness you have a look at the locks still in the playoffs, Merrin, Gallen, Parker, Tamalolo, Finucane and they all run 130m+. Mannering runs for 80 a game. He tackles like a machine but it means we play props on the wing to get that yardage. We need him to go back to being an edge forward like he is in the kiwis where his excellent defensive nous will cover our weaknesses out wide. Great player but I would have give the award to Johnson or kata this year.

Johnson!, you are shitting me right?? Probably one of his worst sesons I've seen, good at times but totally missing at others. Just goes to show how bad a year the Warriors have had.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
Johnson!, you are shitting me right?? Probably one of his worst sesons I've seen, good at times but totally missing at others. Just goes to show how bad a year the Warriors have had.
He did go missing at times but he won us at least three games Panthers, Titans and Roosters.

Led the league in kicks in play, top 5 in try assists, 1st equal in line break assists, 1st equal in drop outs forced. 15 line breaks and 10 tries.

All this playing on one leg behind a bottom four forward pack. Improved his defence as well. Yeah he would be my player of the year.

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 3, 2012
Every team has a Simon Mannering type player.
Its about getting the mix right with the rest of the pack.

Maybe Mannering needs to add something to hone more attacking meters.

Until someone better comes along and outshines the brother.
Appreciate everything he does for our team and country.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
And yet he makes the kiwis squad?
And made the World 13 in 2014.... by the same committee that named SJ7 the Golden Boot that year.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings