General 2016 Warriors Offseason/Preseason Thread

Howick is like one street. Definitely more bakeries and fatty food options in otara. but like you said there is fat people there but less fatty cheap stores
that would be 'old Howick' as the real estate chumps call it out there.

I read in some food guide that Howick has over one hundred and fifty eateries in one form or other ( that was ten years ago) theyd be including places like meadowlands etc in that count

Reactions: WillyDonDilly
Why don't the Warriors first grade team go to Australia for their pre-season training? Every year we hear that the weather over there affects our team especially in the last 20 so why not condition yourself in the toughest conditions. .....I would think its easier for someone to adjust to milder weather of Auckland from hot humid conditions you get in Aus than the other way around. If I were to believe the Warriors fitness team that their regimes are just as good as the aussie ones then why is there a difference in the fitness levels in the last 20 compared to those Australian based teams? If the weather is the key factor, then why not train there and condition yourself in those conditions. ...summer in cairns got to be brutal and if you can play an entire 80 in those conditions then you should have the confidence to play anywhere. .....just a thought :)

Does anyone know who and how many are injured or recovering from surgery and any updates on their return to pre season. ie Shaun Johnson when will he be due to return from his broken ankle.. Just curious...
he posted a photo on Facebook a few day ago saying he went under the knife for the last time and that he will be back to normal in time for the Nines

Reactions: Sup42
Why don't the Warriors first grade team go to Australia for their pre-season training? Every year we hear that the weather over there affects our team especially in the last 20 so why not condition yourself in the toughest conditions. .....I would think its easier for someone to adjust to milder weather of Auckland from hot humid conditions you get in Aus than the other way around. If I were to believe the Warriors fitness team that their regimes are just as good as the aussie ones then why is there a difference in the fitness levels in the last 20 compared to those Australian based teams? If the weather is the key factor, then why not train there and condition yourself in those conditions. ...summer in cairns got to be brutal and if you can play an entire 80 in those conditions then you should have the confidence to play anywhere. .....just a thought :)

Two reasons I can think of: Cost. and the fact the players hate being away from their families (hence why when we have back to back games in Aus they fly home in between because they get homesick).

I like the idea though. what they need is a close relationship with another club, and spend 4 weeks in summer in Aus training there (billet the players with the other team). Could be beneficial for both sides you'd think. Problem is - would any other sides want to help the warriors out? Hard to say.

Reactions: Top8
The house for the out of towners sounds like a good idea. Is it set with permanent residents who look after it and help the players? Or are they left to look after themselves like flatmates?

My memory is a bit hazy but I think it might have been Mark Horo and his wife who had a boarding house for the Eels and maybe got poached to do the same thing for the Panthers. They took in the out of town players and helped them settle into Sydney before they moved out to look after themselves.

It would be good for the guys coming from out of Auckland to settle and maybe a place to send guys who aren't meeting standards.

Reactions: Jah, OMG and Sup42
I reckon that's what they need.

Was reading somewhere that people living in the hottest regions sweated out way less electrolytes in their sweat than dudes living in ice land for example... Makes sense if you're sweating a couple of liters a day more, you'd want that sodium in your system and not be wringing it out of your shirt...

This gives the Aussies a huge advantage whenever its hot cause our guys go into deficiency way quicker and get the wobbles.

Surely the club have this covered tho...

Reactions: Top8 and DANZ
The house for the out of towners sounds like a good idea. Is it set with permanent residents who look after it and help the players? Or are they left to look after themselves like flatmates?

My memory is a bit hazy but I think it might have been Mark Horo and his wife who had a boarding house for the Eels and maybe got poached to do the same thing for the Panthers. They took in the out of town players and helped them settle into Sydney before they moved out to look after themselves.

It would be good for the guys coming from out of Auckland to settle and maybe a place to send guys who aren't meeting standards.

It was Mark Horo, I had a mate that went over to Parra and stayed a while, that said he came back with a few stories that would not be considered 21st century training systems. there may have been a little City Tigers fun in his HSV Commodore to say the least.

Last edited:
As someone that has had a FIFO job in a hot climate, personally I think that idea would suck. Firstly there is a huge cost to house and feed that many guys, secondly would the cost be counted as part of their salary or carried by the club that in theory are already paying for their food and accommodation in their contracts, thirdly you have a group of guys ranging from blokes still living at home to guys with families, your kidding yourself if you think they would be happy to pack up and piss off for 3 months at the start of the year. once back all that would happen is they would really notice the climate change as winter settled in. A completely unworkable idea at every level.

As someone that has had a FIFO job in a hot climate, personally I think that idea would suck. Firstly there is a huge cost to house and feed that many guys, secondly would the cost be counted as part of their salary or carried by the club that in theory are already paying for their food and accommodation in their contracts, thirdly you have a group of guys ranging from blokes still living at home to guys with families, your kidding yourself if you think they would be happy to pack up and piss off for 3 months at the start of the year. once back all that would happen is they would really notice the climate change as winter settled in. A completely unworkable idea at every level.

A thousand dollars a day to keep a labourer in the Pilbara five years ago

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
They have fat people in Howick too.

There would be more than double the eateries in Howick over Otara.

The house idea iis a good one, especially if we are going to bring over some Aussie juniors in future.
You and I know its about more than that. The club need to get him out of that area. Out of his comfort zone where the boys wont show up randomly looking for a drinking buddy and dragging him back to their level. Where he wont go walking to the pantry or fridge to only find cheap refined bread, 2 minute noodles and precooked sausages. Howick is a place where he can walk around free instead of having to maintain his rep.

A lot of people wont understand what Im on about and think is pathetic and trivial but thats the reality of growing up in a low socioeconomic area where mum and dad try hard but have to work long hours on minimum wage to eek a living.

To those that know that struggle, its called the hood.

Good on the club for trying to move him up out of it...

Getting him away from all of that will also help him grow up. Ideally at some point he will realise what an opportunity he has to earn a career out of football. I used ideally as some guys fall away; hopefully he realises that soon. At that point he should be mature to live where ever he sees fit.

Even if he wasn't from a lower socioeconomic area being you and earning pretty good money; chances are when you are at home you'd rather get convenient food and play video games etc during your spare time.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
StraightOuttaSomewhere.jpg

The house from what I heard is run by the taplins - husband/wife team heavily involved with the Vulcans and good people; they ran a similar house last year in Australia for the Roosters.IMO it is long overdue, having a house for player's from outside of Auckland and those kids from auckland that have need a stable house to stay in.

Reactions: snake77
You and I know its about more than that. The club need to get him out of that area. Out of his comfort zone where the boys wont show up randomly looking for a drinking buddy and dragging him back to their level. Where he wont go walking to the pantry or fridge to only find cheap refined bread, 2 minute noodles and precooked sausages. Howick is a place where he can walk around free instead of having to maintain his rep.

A lot of people wont understand what Im on about and think is pathetic and trivial but thats the reality of growing up in a low socioeconomic area where mum and dad try hard but have to work long hours on minimum wage to eek a living.

To those that know that struggle, its called the hood.

Good on the club for trying to move him up out of it...
agree bro. That post u quoted should have had a *tongue in cheek Asterix.....there are fat people in Howick too...was more of a dig at afluence.

I grew up in South Auckland, Solo mum, heaps of siblings, once were Warriors dad, lived in a tent in some Christian Families back yard while we waited for approval for a state house....homeless as a kid is as hard core as the hood gets.

Lived in O' Town too...Ferguson road as a teen, and even that became nicer than areas of Rewa and Kura I lived in post the Meth epidemic.

You are so right about needing to get away from influences, what people don't understand is that there are complex layers and loyalty relationships you form in those neighborhoods....for example....how do you turn your back on a cousin that saved your life in a unprovolked knife attack ? You don't....you feel you owe that person for your life.....so down the track when that brave kid who saved your life...who at one time was god fearing..... becomes a gangsta......then what do u do ? Even if that person respects you and keeps banging politics away from your friendship...you still can have your life turned inside out by your association......best thing you can do in my experience Is leave the neighborhood.

It's not just a South Auckland problem its world wide.

I get where the club are comming from....I lived in Howick....its a wonderful place....with a great community.

The problem I found once I got away from the hood, was that it took years for that watch your back, Fight for your life thinking to go.

But getting people away from bad influence is a start.

The other thing that is hard for people to get....is that there are lots of people whose lives are richer.....and are that much more special than the rest bescause of thier hardship comming from a Hood.

This country has its own Nelson Mandela's.....special figures that dont let unjust suffering keep them back...who are just by happen stance never heard of or celebrated.

Then you have heroes like the great John Walker who try to give back to the children of South Auckland because life turned out OK for them...they were born with....and raised with....hope....and have sporting cred well beyond any footballing code.

BTW.....not looking for "cool' points with this post, plenty of rich folk I hang with come from equally miserable circumstance.....so how do they deal ? They move away from the negative influence too.

Last edited: