General 2016 Warriors Offseason/Preseason Thread

Just how many guys currently in NZ do you think that have true combat experience, are sitting around waiting for a call up to help train a footy team. I would guess even in the army right now that number would be quite small. I can guarantee you though training to be a soldier is hugely different to being in a in a combat situation where you may actually die. Just so you know, a real firefight doesn't include Arnie or Sly walking down the middle of a open field with a 50 cal in one arm, a belt of bullets wrapped around the other, throwing grenades with their dicks and occasionally plucking out bullets from the flesh wounds in there shoulders with a rusty bayonet. :p

I have combat experience along with a few of my mates kiwi and Ozzie .two of my good mates were in the contact that willie was in .the only thing footy and combat has in common is mental toughness and ones a lot different to the other can't compare them think willie was there to support and motivate them a little.

i really want to grow my hair like gubb. i dont have the patience though

who is the guy in picture 7?
Thats Henare Wells in 7. Ligi Sao is in photo 6.
CNK (photo 4) already looks like a big lad. Without doubt he'd put more on and has the potential to be effective given footage of his fend which is just dirt stankin' nasty.

Reactions: jsmooove

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Pics from Jay M Jay M's link. Have added names under our new recruits for those interested. Good to see Ligi Sao recovering well from his ACL injury and Bull looks to have his jaw sorted...

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (1).jpeg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (2).jpeg
Blake Ayshford

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (3).jpeg
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (4).jpeg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (5).jpeg
Ligi Sao

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (6).jpeg
Henare Wells

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (7).jpeg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (8).jpeg
Blake Ayshford

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (9).jpeg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (10).jpeg
Coach Cappy with new Assistant Coach Justin Morgan

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (11).jpeg
Ligi Sao

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (12).jpeg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (13).jpeg

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (14).jpeg

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Reactions: the borg

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Capture456.PNG

Been told that Justin Morgan is ruthless. Real straight talker that doesnt muck around. Rips in to the boys but not in a sad way. Swears a lot :). Training has been defence focused which is led by Morgan. Pic below looks like he is laying it down.

Hope that continues...

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (15).jpeg

Does anyone know if it's policy for players to strap their ankles before any training or playing like it is at the Broncos?

Also, looking like Morgan doing Cappy's job. More dominant kind of guy? I guess you have to be loud to be heard over Bellamy's shouting.:p:p

Good to hear Justin's laying down the law because it was the defence that was so piss poor at the back end of this year. Without cheating and looking it up, it was two consecutive games we conceded 50 pts. Way way way not Finals Material.

Forgive me for being pedantic, but I'd always assumed that the order of pre-season was:

Pre Christmas:
Skin-fold tests, Bleep tests etc to get bench marks.
Run the players absolutely ragged. Piha sand hills etc...

Post Christmas:
Continue to run the players but maybe not so ragged.
Introduce to training this spherical thing called a football. At this point the players' fitness should be at a level where they can do the things you want them to do with (and without) the football in hand.

Early Feb:
Pre-season games against whoever. Players picked based on availability need for speed etc and rules as agreed with opposition (ie Penrith might come over to Albany and bring 30 players all of whom will have game time during the 80m which will be in 20m quarters).

I assume this is nothing more than "Look, we trust that you guys have looked after yourself in the off-season that we can shorten the fitness ball-free training and got onto the ball work (attack) and non-ball work (defence) sooner than normal."

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Forgot to mention something I got told last week. The Warriors now have a house in Howick for the out of town players. Mainly juniors. Not sure if Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is staying there but I know Sam Lisone is. He's there so the club can monitor his diet and free time. Otara it seems isnt good for the kid...

Good to see Hoffman back. He is truly professional. Him and Lillyman. Surely they would have been given an extra week or two because they're internationals, or did they want to come back early?

Reactions: RobRoyMcCoy
Does anyone know who and how many are injured or recovering from surgery and any updates on their return to pre season. ie Shaun Johnson when will he be due to return from his broken ankle.. Just curious...

That last photo is interesting to me, two ex halves either end of the group, one looks like he's lapping it up, one looks like he's thinking, My times over, may as well take my ball and go home.
Plus the whole squad appear to be taking in what's being said, no one looking for animal shaped clouds or if there are any daisies close by to start making a chain with.

They have fat people in Howick too.

There would be more than double the eateries in Howick over Otara.

The house idea iis a good one, especially if we are going to bring over some Aussie juniors in future.

Last edited: