General 2016 Warriors Offseason/Preseason Thread

Mental fortitude is something I believe you are born with anyway. You either have it or you dont. Instead of trying to train it into to players the club should just recruit those that already have it...

i think it varies with each individual,pending on ones upbringing,life circumstances & hardships etc etc
whilst some may be naturally born with mental fortitude doesnt always necessarily mean one cant have it forced upon them all learn how to be mentally tough along the way due to lifes school of hardknocks

one may be born with mental fortitude but might have been wrapped up in cotton wool by their parents etc etc & spoilt most their life leaving them mentally weak as adults
i believe mental fortitude can be trained into the mind to some degree

Last edited:
I think we are getting carried away finding fault with that picture, its good not to see anyone flipping gang signs. What I take from it is Hurrell seems to be a team guy in that he gets everyone involved in his pictures and its always with a smile.

Regarding the finger, I used to pull the finger when I was uncomfortable with a picture or was forced into it, imo its a young persons reaction to an awkward situation.

For a change it'd be nice to see: "The Warriors 2016. Fatter. Lazier. Slower. Dumber." ad campaigns. Is "he's training the house down!" the most meaningless guide to how good a player's going to be on-field or what?

Actually, only thing I really care about with pre-season training is that no-one breaks anything and it's so bad they don't get a minute of game time in 2016. I hope Mr Henry's wrapped up well, another big injury could be the end of his career.

Ivan Cleary used to look skywards at all the skill training Daniel Anderson got them to do, did he get results or what?

I understand the need for advancement in training strategies etc but sometimes things get too scientific and way over complicated for our bunch of no brains.

Need look no further then the two teams that played in the NRL final.. skills galore, changing of angles, wrap around plays, ball out in front every time.. so basic yet so brilliant

Sometimes I think our players just don't have the mental capacity to deal with so much clogging and over complication, strip it right back to the basics, start again right back to schoolboy stuff.

Reactions: Sup42 and OMG

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I thought it was Havili who blacked out?
Yep. It was Liva who blacked out. Not only that but he blacked out clean standing up and banged his head when he hit the ground. Part of Camp Hell was also depriving the players of water. Like I said, thats all good for thinning out professional soldiers but denying professional athletes hydration is simply retarded...

Reactions: The Cheap Seats
Yep. It was Liva who blacked out. Not only that but he blacked out clean standing up and bang his head. Part of Camp Hell was also depriving the players of water. Like I said, thats all good for thinning out professional soldiers but denying professional athletes hydration is simply retarded...
I agree. Train the way you intend to play. Hydrated before, during, and after.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Full squad training tomorrow with the exception of the boys that are playing for the Kiwis, were part of the Kiwi's train on squad or still in rehab. Unsure about the latest on the rehab boys but the following is the current list we have:

Kiwis
Tuimoala Lolohea
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Issac Luke
Ben Matulino

Kiwis Train On Squad
Solomone Kata
Simon Mannering
Bodene Thompson

Injury List
Ben Henry
Thomas Leuluai
Toafofoa Sipley
David Fusitua
Shaun Johnson
Nathaniel Roache
Manu Vatuvei
Jacob Lillyman

Players like Manu Vatuvei and Thomas Leuluai have been doing some offseason training. Shaun Johnson may be able to ease into preseason.

Been told that Solomone Kata will be 'encouraged' to show up a week early regardless. Bodene Thompson is free as he has been training hard for his bout with Paul Gallen. Unsure about Simon Mannering but no one in team preps better so he'll be on track for sure.

Expect more pics and updates tomorrow...

Reactions: snake77
I know Vete's tweet is in good humour. But I'd respond. Yes and it's going to be tougher cause that's the standards you need to keep if you want to win.

Mannering would be better for the rest. Good to see Johnson is progressing. He gets a lot of criticism and some of it could be viewed as justified and all we want is for him to live up to his potential. Once he overcomes the injury and any mental scars he'll be good for the added time of and preparation for the season.

Anyway let's get ready for the toughest pre-season every until next year which will be the toughest pre-season ever.;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sup42
For a change it'd be nice to see: "The Warriors 2016. Fatter. Lazier. Slower. Dumber." ad campaigns. Is "he's training the house down!" the most meaningless guide to how good a player's going to be on-field or what?

Actually, only thing I really care about with pre-season training is that no-one breaks anything and it's so bad they don't get a minute of game time in 2016. I hope Mr Henry's wrapped up well, another big injury could be the end of his career.
Too be fair, everyone has been on their backs about mental toughness for years. Cappy clearly explained that camp he'll was about taking them out of their comfort zones and proving to themselves that they could be better than they thought.

Waking up at midnight or training without water was about training their minds to realise that they can survive if push came to shove. It's not about dehydrating them for games. It's about stretching their mental tolerance. Our record in Oz is abysmal. Apart from travel the heat gets the boys. Late in a game their bodies are crying for more water. You don't have that luxury in the middle of a set. This is where Cappy's training kicks in.

However, it's a characteristic that is not easily internalized. It takes years. It should be trained in school. The thing is not everyone can hack it. That's the beauty of it. It sorts the men from the boys. Hence the ones that aren't up to it get culled. After 3 years of it I expect to see improvement. I hope the club continues it. Don't let up. Keep stretching these boys!

That show is pure fantasy. That stuff about Thailand is just total BS. Scary mentioning it in the same vein as the Warriors.
Of course it's fantasy its a TV show. The point I was trying to make was the training the guys had to do to prepare for their rolls. The bit I mentioned they had to run a fair distance before they even started their training and even that run to get to their session was used as a test.

Sure it's BS it's a TV show after all but the actors train their arses off for particular rolls. One of them Sullivan Stapleton while training had to 50-100 man makers (press into a renegade tow into a burpee to a standing military press with either dumbells or kettlebells) as a warm up. That's a lot of hard work considering actors really only need to look the part but most of them go out of their way to train for the part as well.

Our guys over the years have been criticised for being mentally weak or not training hard enough. The army training is something that has been brought up on this site quite a bit and other NRL clubs have been doing for quite a while. The story I used for the guys on Strikeback was the mental test their military trainers got them to do under fatigue.

Reactions: Tonbridge (Swanley)
The Brocos used the SAS camp under Bennet aye
Since Havili collapsed, I would suggest they modify there hydration and still do the camp stuff, like Horriors and Snake....its designed to make people keep going....and keep thinking under duress.

Maybe they could have some IV fluids (the drip).....so they don't get the pleasure of drinking....and that way there is no danger at all,

The Brocos used the SAS camp under Bennet aye
Since Havili collapsed, I would suggest they modify there hydration and still do the camp stuff, like Horriors and Snake....its designed to make people keep going....and keep thinking under duress.

Maybe they could have some IV fluids (the drip).....so they don't get the pleasure of drinking....and that way there is no danger at all,
Isn't SAS camp also used to weed out people who don't have the attributes required for their job, and their job isn't an 80 minute rugby league game.

So to thrash a bunch of sportsmen to death and prove some can't be SAS soldiers doesn't seem very logical. I can see the drill sergeant now "HOW ARE YOU GOING TO BE A RUGBY LEAGUE PLAYER IF YOU CAN'T SURVIVE 24 HOURS WITHOUT FOOD, WATER OR SLEEP MAGGOT.."

Last edited:
This pre-season will be interesting to see how much the interchanges will affect clubs training. When the interchange was unlimited most of their running during the pre-season was 400 metre sprints; the limited interchange came in and clubs started running longer distances.

A few articles or discussions on the interchange changes had it might not be too much different as its only reduced by two and clubs often keep a few up their sleeve for injuries. Add in the clocks for scrums etc and it's probably not a risk you want to take not accounting for the interchange rules changing. McFadden seemed to be relaxed about the peeling off rules last off season it will be interesting to hear his and other coaches thoughts during the off season. The pre-season is when you need to get it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: mt.wellington