General 2016 Warriors NSW Cup Reserve Grade

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
The one thing I probably take from that is the way Ata and Lino especially takes on the line before passing. They often engage their opposite defender and the outside man, creating the gaps on the outside. Yes the defense looks awful, but when a half can engage more than one defender it opens up space.
First thing I noticed too. Both Ata Hingano and Mason Lino seems to evaluate the play in front of them quite well. Ata in particular hits his backdoor hole runners really well from the games I have seen him play. The fact they have played league all their lives shows. Unlike Shaun Johnson who either goes through the set move or can only play ad lib most times...

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
Just on Wells, if he could add a few extra kilo's to his frame he could make the step up to first grade, from what I've seen of him he can hit his winger effectively with a good long ball and seems equally proficient on both sides of the field, his timing coming into the line on set plays is good and he's got plenty of toe.

if he bulked up a bit he wouldn't struggle as much on his kick returns which is a weakness for him, defensively he's not setting the world on fire but he hasn't been that bad either.

Has anyone else got a read on his game, is he improving under Stacey, could he make first grade on the wing for example? interested in anyone's thoughts.

Gotta start looking at bringing some of these guys through.

Reactions: Rick O'Shay

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Just on Wells, if he could add a few extra kilo's to his frame he could make the step up to first grade, from what I've seen of him he can hit his winger effectively with a good long ball and seems equally proficient on both sides of the field, his timing coming into the line on set plays is good and he's got plenty of toe.

if he bulked up a bit he wouldn't struggle as much on his kick returns which is a weakness for him, defensively he's not setting the world on fire but he hasn't been that bad either.

Has anyone else got a read on his game, is he improving under Stacey, could he make first grade on the wing for example? interested in anyone's thoughts.

Gotta start looking at bringing some of these guys through.
Plus he's quick as fuck. Guys got wheels. Definitely needs to beef up though. Dont need a Sam Tomkins V2.0 out there who cant cart the ball up cause he's only 40kgs wearing all the clothes he owns soaking wet...

Reactions: 6 Again

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
Plus he's quick as fuck. Guys got wheels. Definitely needs to beef up though. Dont need a Sam Tomkins V2.0 out there who cant cart the ball up cause he's only 40kgs wearing all the clothes he owns soaking wet...

his listed weight is 89kgs which is significantly more than Tomkins (and more than Allwood). That being said, he's listed at 188cms tall too, and as we all know - listed heights and weights aren't always correct...

if he could keep most of his speed and get to 92-95kgs - we'd have a genuine option IMO.

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015

Hurrell keeps pinching food out his lunch box.

Edit: Hurrell used to pinch food out of his lunch box - past tense.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rick O'Shay

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
Don't want to put any unfair comparisons on Shaun Lane but he reminds me of a young Brad Thorn.

Watched him closely yesterday and time and time again it took three to four players to take him down.

I will say his defence is nowhere near the calibre of Thorn's at the same age.. Lane should be more imposing and dominant but he gets a bit lazy.. definitely something he needs to improve to be an NRL force.

The try he scored from a tap 20 metres out he powered through four defenders and stretched to plant the ball. Amazing strength & determination.

Can't compare the standard of NSW Cup to NRL but this boy Lane will only get better as he develops, plenty of upside to him.

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
May 18, 2012
Churchur
Don't want to put any unfair comparisons on Shaun Lane but he reminds me of a young Brad Thorn.

Watched him closely yesterday and time and time again it took three to four players to take him down.

I will say his defence is nowhere near the calibre of Thorn's at the same age.. Lane should be more imposing and dominant but he gets a bit lazy.. definitely something he needs to improve to be an NRL force.

The try he scored from a tap 20 metres out he powered through four defenders and stretched to plant the ball. Amazing strength & determination.

Can't compare the standard of NSW Cup to NRL but this boy Lane will only get better as he develops, plenty of upside to him.
I like him a lot, he has real POD value there, defensively he looked great for the top team and his offence looked average.
Personally I think he will add balance to the pack and would like to see him there now.

Reactions: mode81

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
I like him a lot, he has real POD value there, defensively he looked great for the top team and his offence looked average.
Personally I think he will add balance to the pack and would like to see him there now.

Bro I read your comments about Hingano.. starting to see why he has big wraps on him that kid can play, at the line, before the line, great ball player. Got some silky skills.

Also doesn't like surrendering in the tackle always looking for an offload to keep the momentum.. he's not scared to take it to the line, he's going to be something special that boy. It's great that Stacey can help develop his game too.

Reactions: Warrior482 and OMG

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
May 18, 2012
Churchur
Bro I read your comments about Hingano.. starting to see why he has big wraps on him that kid can play, at the line, before the line, great ball player. Got some silky skills.

Also doesn't like surrendering in the tackle always looking for an offload to keep the momentum.. he's not scared to take it to the line, he's going to be something special that boy. It's great that Stacey can help develop his game too.

Ata's definitely something we haven't seen before, I think they're making positional mistakes with him though, he should be playing right just like Lockyer.

There is a window of opportunity to have 2 fantastic kickers playing for us right now in their natural positions and he has got the nuts to step up, at any other club they would have played him by now IMO.
It makes you wonder what they see in Leuluai at 6.

Reactions: mode81

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
ISP and NYC teams named
Richard Becht | Image: www.photosport.nz
Tue 14th June, 03:15PM
1465887624543.jpg

Ofahiki Ogden. NRL Holden Cup, Juniors U20s. Warriors v Broncos. Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand. Saturday 4 June 2016. © Copyright Photo: Andrew Cornaga / www.Photosport.nz

NYC regulars Bunty Afoa and Ofahiki Ogden have both been promoted to play for the Vodafone Warriors’ Intrust Super Premiership side in Saturday’s 15th-round encounter with the Newtown Jets at Henson Park in Sydney (3.00pm kick-off local time; 5.00pm NZT).

Front rower Afoa and second rower Ogden, both with more than 50 NYC appearances, have been named to start for the Stacey Jones-coached table-topping side.

Afoa comes in for Sipley, who has been promoted to the NRL side, while Ogden joins established back rowers Shaun Lane and John Palavi.

Afoa made a one-off debut appearance in the grade last season while this will be Ogden’s first ISP outing.

Back in the side is prop James Gavet who missed the Newcastle match with a knee injury.

The Vodafone Warriors will be aiming for an eighth straight win but the Jets are also in great form, running third in the competition after trouncing Wentworthville 54-6.

In the NYC, the Vodafone Junior Warriors will have another debutant in their side with Otahuhu Leopards junior Alfred Smalley named to start in the centres. With Ogden promoted to the ISP, the experienced Marata Niukore switches from the centres to the second row while Mattais Heimuli is named to replace Afoa.
VODAFONE WARRIORS v NEWTOWN JETS
Henson Park, Sydney
3.00pm, Saturday, June 18

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 HENARE WELLS
2 TOMAS AOAKE
3 MATTHEW ALLWOOD
4 JONATHAN WRIGHT
5 CHARNZE NICOLL-KLOKSTAD
6 ATA HINGANO
7 JEFF ROBSON
8 JAMES GAVET
9 JAZZ TEVAGA
10 BUNTY AFOA
11 OFAHIKI OGDEN
12 SHAUN LANE
13 JOHN PALAVI (c)

14 MASON LINO
15 UPU POCHING
16 ALI LAUITIITI
17 JAMES BELL
18 PATRICK SIPLEY

COACH | STACEY JONES

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2016/06/14/isp_and_nyc_teams_na.html

Reactions: Trugoy

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
why is wright playing at centre?
Because he's only good enough to play on the wing in FG - reserve grade is where he gets found out on the wing..... oops, sorry, forget that. ;)

because our reserve grade centre is now tearing it up for the titans for 50 mins per game ;)

on a more serious note, probably because Aoake is good enough to step up from the U20s to the wing for the ISP, and Wright can play either centre or wing. Not sure if either of the U20 centres would be ready for the step up?

Reactions: Lets Gone

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
ISP and NYC line-ups for 16th round
Richard Becht | Image: www.photosport.nz
Tue 21st June, 06:34PM

Injuries and NRL requirements have again impacted on the Vodafone Warriors’ Intrust Super Premiership side for Saturday’s 16th-round encounter with the North Sydney Bears at Mount Smart Stadium #2 (1.00pm kick-off).

Coach Stacey Jones has lost regular fullback Henare Wells, sidelined for two-four weeks with a shoulder injury while forward Ligi Sao is out for the same length of time with a patella injury.

As well as that standoff Ata Hingano and prop Toafofoa Sipley are on an extended bench for the Vodafone Warriors’ NRL side to face Cronulla.

While they’re absent the experienced centre Jonathan Wright is named after being on standby for the NRL team last weekend and captain John Palavi returns from injury.

They bolster a side which fell to a disappointing 6-38 loss to Newtown last Saturday, ending a run of seven straight wins. It will also be a welcome return home after back-to-back away games.

With Palavi back, Marata Niukore returns to the Vodafone Junior Warriors who put together their best effort of the season beating the Sydney Roosters 40-20 last Sunday.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v NORTH SYDNEY
Mount Smart Stadium #2, Auckland
1.00pm, Saturday, June 25

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 TOMAS AOAKE
2 VILIAMI KAVEINGA
3 MATTHEW ALLWOOD
4 JONATHAN WRIGHT
5 CHARNZE NICOLL-KLOKSTAD
6 MASON LINO
7 JEFF ROBSON
8 JAMES GAVET
9 JAZZ TEVAGA
10 BUNTY AFOA
11 OFAHIKI OGDEN
12 SHAUN LANE
13 JOHN PALAVI (c)

14 JAMES BELL
15 UPU POCHING
16 ALI LAUITIITI
17 PATRICK SIPLEY

COACH | STACEY JONES

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2016/06/21/isp_and_nyc_line_ups.html

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
Not a bad B team. Saw Stacey and the coaches at the Koru club before they left for Sydney. Saw Lino near the gate. Wonder if the coaches, but not the players, get to use the Koru club? Won't visit them this weekend there as I may have jinxed them.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings