General 2016 Warriors Fixtures/Draw

wazzas

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
859701d2-76c6-4415-9ea0-2a61fbe89866.jpg

looks like we may be playing alot of our games on Friday next year, what do we think of this??

Last edited by a moderator:

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Playing Saturday/Sunday has its advantages in terms of our travel and preparation. My impressions over the years when we play on a Friday night and the spot light is on us we tend to turn in a shocker.

Even if it is an advantage to be under the radar on Saturdays and Sundays all teams want to play on the Channel 9 slots. I don't know if it helps a NZ sides sponsors playing at that time but playing in the high profile slots may help us attract more talent.

The reasons behind this. Who know might be a case of we're one of the sides left after they have shuffled the usual Friday night Sydney club to the new Thursday night time slot. It could also be hey they have Johnson and now Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Luke and should create some more interest lets play them as there could be interest in them.

6pm does that mean a couple of Friday night games at home?......................well as long as Channel 9 keep to 6pm Aus / 8pm NZ as some games started at random times this year.

Whenever we play we need to embrace it. As long as its not a short turn around we need to get stuck in and perform. Besides we could either be depressed:( or angry:mad: to start the week and be over it by Monday or smiling all weekend celebrating a nice victory.:D

Reactions: Weno

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia
looks like we may be playing alot of our games on Friday next year, what do we think of this??

Bugger...
Our boys can't play Friday night its pizza n movie night with the family.
Ever time (from my memory and thats not that great) we have played on Thursday or Friday nights we don't do well. Its like we don't want to be there

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 30, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 22, 2012
Can we please stop taking our games to fricking Wellington ?

Bunch of unappreciative downers who think they deserve their own team.

We don't exactly do well there.

Edit: article reads like it will be a Bulldogs home game ??

Reactions: CompletionRate

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Can we please stop taking our games to fricking Wellington ?

Bunch of unappreciative downers who think they deserve their own team.

We don't exactly do well there.

Edit: article reads like it will be a Bulldogs home game ??
Unsure - but I think it's the Bulldogs wanting to play on of their home games there - not us taking one of our games there.

I've heard a whisper that the Warriors are looking at either Dunedin or Christchurch for their "out of town" home game.

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Unsure - but I think it's the Bulldogs wanting to play on of their home games there - not us taking one of our games there.

I've heard a whisper that the Warriors are looking at either Dunedin or Christchurch for their "out of town" home game.

I bet you guys it will be Dunedin. After recent success of Highlanders at Super Rugby cup level, NZWarriors will want to capitalise on it and bring game to them. Not only that dude, Otago University Students ! Let the party begin ... :)

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney

Wasnt there something a while ago about Panthers game in chch?

willemse

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 30, 2014
Christchurch definietly deserves a game. Tickets would be unbelievably hard to get, as it would be extremely popular.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Playing in Chch just reminds me of us getting pumped repeatedly by the Tigers. I believe we are likely to play the Panthers there in 2016.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Melbourne Storm set to host Anzac Day NRL clash against Warriors
November 21, 2015 10:00pm
NICK SMART EXCLUSIVE
Sunday Herald Sun
13dd21e7df513ff129deeab20416607e

MELBOURNE Storm looks to have won back their biggest drawing fixture of the NRL season with the Anzac Day blockbuster against New Zealand set to return to AAMI Park in 2016.

Storm lost its annual home clash with the Warriors on Anzac Day last season with the NRL wanting to stage a game in New Zealand to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Anzac landings at Gallipoli.

But The Herald Sun understands that Storm’s strong lobbying for the return of the marquee fixture has paid off with the NRL poised to grant the request.

The NRL would not confirm the make-up of its Anzac Day schedule when contacted, with the draw set to be released as early as next week.
Storm chief executive Dave Donaghy said he is hopeful the hugely popular fixture will be back next season.

“We’ve been pushing our case to have the Warriors return for Anzac Day for quite a while now,” he said.

v1

“We think it is a marquee fixture on our calendar.

“We’ve spent a lot of time and put a lot of effort into building it up as a major event for our city, and it is certainly something our members want back on our calendar next year.

“We think it works for all parties on what is a special day.”

Before last season, Storm played New Zealand at AAMI Park on Anzac Day every year since the inaugural match in 2009.
Marking the day with an annual clash against the Warriors was an idea pitched by Storm officials, who had seen the power of the occasion in the AFL between Collingwood and Essendon.

It quickly grew to become Storm’s biggest home game of the season with the match selling out in 2014.

Storm still hosted an Anzac Day game last season, but the clash against Manly drew just 13,948 fans, highlighting the importance of the high-drawing Warriors as part of the fixture.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/8b8bd1a09c66e0bd6dc4e74c378f5d44

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Melbourne Storm set to host Anzac Day NRL clash against Warriors
November 21, 2015 10:00pm
NICK SMART EXCLUSIVE
Sunday Herald Sun
13dd21e7df513ff129deeab20416607e

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/8b8bd1a09c66e0bd6dc4e74c378f5d44

https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...kbuster-nrl-seasonopener-20151121-gl4jrt.html

Awesome. Thanks for that mate, So that's two games already confirmed. Bulldogs in Wellington and Storm in Melbourne on Anzac Day. Also it's just been announced that NRL Draw is out on Tuesday including schedule for 2016 NZ Warriors season. Eels and Broncos are said to be opening game of 2016 season, why, because I don't know, crack is hell of a drug ? Dude ... o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: smc

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Awesome news that we have this fixture back, it was bullshit to take it away last year just as it was building momentum. Great to have our own "rivalry round" fixture and I hope they continue to be great games

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...kbuster-nrl-seasonopener-20151121-gl4jrt.html

Awesome. Thanks for that mate, So that's two games already confirmed. Bulldogs in Wellington and Storm in Melbourne on Anzac Day. Also it's just been announced that NRL Draw is out on Tuesday including schedule for 2016 NZ Warriors season. Eels and Broncos are said to be opening game of 2016 season, why, because I don't know, crack is hell of a drug ? Dude ... o_O
Probably a done deal but nothing has or will be confirmed until the actual draw is released...

Jordan G

Because channel 9 said so, simple as that really.

Eels are one of the highest rating Sydney teams, and the Broncos will have all of QLD watching. Big ratings = big advertising dollars.

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Because channel 9 said so, simple as that really.

Eels are one of the highest rating Sydney teams, and the Broncos will have all of QLD watching. Big ratings = big advertising dollars.

Yeah got it. Thanks. Still think it sucks guys. Also word is we could be playing Cowboys in our first game of season. Draw to be released tomorrow. Will post it up here when I'm done ... :)

EDIT: Warriors to play game next year in Taranaki along with Whangarei, Nelson and Wellington, Jim Doyle just confirmed...:)

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport/290360/taranaki-to-host-warriors-game-for-first-time

Last edited:
Reactions: mt.wellington

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings