Gameday < 2021 2016 Preseason Matches

All games pre 2021
I always reckoned if I was Defensive Coach at the Warriors, the first thing I'd bring in is situations where a player who gets beaten out wide, he must still do everything he can to make his opponent dot down out wide, not let them do the run in and mosey to the goal posts and dot down there.

It might not be a big deal to many people, but to me it shows a lack of intent: "Ahhhh!! I've stuffed up a fair bit here, I may as well stuff up completely!" I'd bring in fines to help sort that shit out.

Which means we automatically concede the 6, rather than 4 which could be the difference in a few games.

Amended injury report:
Whole squad can't sit down after Butt Fucking. Possible return, God only knows.

Are you suggesting they get sponsored by Vaseline?

I always reckoned if I was Defensive Coach at the Warriors, the first thing I'd bring in is situations where a player who gets beaten out wide, he must still do everything he can to make his opponent dot down out wide, not let them do the run in and mosey to the goal posts and dot down there.

It might not be a big deal to many people, but to me it shows a lack of intent: "Ahhhh!! I've stuffed up a fair bit here, I may as well stuff up completely!" I'd bring in fines to help sort that shit out.

Which means we automatically concede the 6, rather than 4 which could be the difference in a few games.

More like Deep Heat, they shouldn't start enjoying it.

Guess we walked into a bit of an ambush in retrospect.
The dragons had better preparation having played the charity shield the week before and had some players with a point to prove.
They've got a decent team there and packer adds a new dimension to their pack.
No doubt he and lesson would've spurred each other on and jack de bellend is one of the most underrated players getting around IMO. I've watched him closely ever since being outraged when he got under 20s player of the year ahead of hurrell but I gotta admit I can see where they were coming from now. Not the biggest guy around but not just your average work hoarse either- the guy hits like a sledge hammer.
They've got a lot of strike in their back line now too- Aitken is a gun youngster to watch.
However that's what we're up against and the boys are gonna be dealing with teams of similar ( in some cases superior) quality every week so they better get used to it coz it ain't gonna get any easier.

I agree, I remember Phil Gould pointing out that desperation in games using Shane Webcke and the Broncos as an example, even when they were well beaten on the day, it was the 78th minute and they just didn't give up in defence or attack. The main point (because there's so much to love about this) I took from his comments was, that you need to play the full 80 minutes, and the more you do the more conditioned you get, because most final games will be decided right at the end. At to have already won that mental battle during the season gives you such a edge on your opponent. I imagine we all feel that the Warriors lack this, and something that we should be showing even in trials if we are going to be contesting in September.

Reactions: Defence

Very good point. In my day, if you put the ball down with one hand to score a try, you got fined. Ended players dropping the ball over the line pretty dam quickly.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Going to give the team the benefit of the doubt after injury forced changes threw a spanner in the works

Losing Vatuvei and then Tuivasa-Sheck forced a lot of backline reshuffling.

Jonathan Wright initially replaced Vatuvei on the left wing but was subsequently switched to the right where he scored his second half try. Lolohea, who started in the centres and also had a short stint on the left wing, went to fullback when Tuivasa-Sheck was taken off while Kata finished up on the left wing after starting on the right and also having a run in the centres.

Two weeks to get it all back on track and not create a new consecutive losing record...

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
i refuse to watch the highlights, but have read through the thread here and i have a thought that what people have described is a team that just looks like it didnt care. With no TV and well out of the main stream cities, did they just go out there and give a half arsed effort because they didnt think anyone would notice?

The coach played no structure and pulled players with niggles, was smiling and laughing at half time, didnt seem concerned, why would the players. It may have been a trial but it seems that the fans cared more than the team.

Disappointing way to end Mannerings career as captain, but some how, right...

plus heard an interesting fact today on while watching the panthers and eels game, the ref is invited to opposed training sessions so that they can get players and themselves up to speed. If this is true what are the real benefits of trials?

Reactions: OMG
i refuse to watch the highlights, but have read through the thread here and i have a thought that what people have described is a team that just looks like it didnt care. With no TV and well out of the main stream cities, did they just go out there and give a half arsed effort because they didnt think anyone would notice?

The coach played no structure and pulled players with niggles, was smiling and laughing at half time, didnt seem concerned, why would the players. It may have been a trial but it seems that the fans cared more than the team.

Disappointing way to end Mannerings career as captain, but some how, right...

plus heard an interesting fact today on while watching the panthers and eels game, the ref is invited to opposed training sessions so that they can get players and themselves up to speed. If this is true what are the real benefits of trials?

We either didn't get a Ref or we are in real trouble, I still can't believe there was 3 penalties for not playing the ball correctly, those players should be singled out and made to wear a pointy witch like dunce cap at training all week.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
We either didn't get a Ref or we are in real trouble, I still can't believe there was 3 penalties for not playing the ball correctly, those players should be singled out and made to wear a pointy witch like dunce cap at training all week.
no even better, bleach the hair white then put pink stripes through it. or have them wear their underwear over their shorts like superman to prove what heros they are. or... wait i think im having to much fun here

• Haha
Reactions: OMG

apparently they're cracking down on it harder this season. They pinged a fair few people in the nines for it...

better for it to happen in a trial than in round 1...

bruce

Contributor
apparently they're cracking down on it harder this season. They pinged a fair few people in the nines for it...

better for it to happen in a trial than in round 1...
They have done it before and given up after a few weeks, same as in front from the kickoff and dropouts. They will give up again.

Reactions: Defence
no even better, bleach the hair white then put pink stripes through it. or have them wear their underwear over their shorts like superman to prove what heros they are. or... wait i think im having to much fun here
Make them wear a fat suit and the No. 8 jersey so they can run around like Andrew Fifita and get away with those half-assed plays of the ball.

Reactions: eudebrito

tajhay

🏉
The NRL posted an article saying the refs had visited all teams during preseason and made them aware of their rules and interpretations. Play the ball was something that they were focussing on at the nines and stated that any incorrect play the balls would result in penalties.

As for trials, i would think its more of a benefit to teams as giving combos a chance to work, seeing how some good trainers in preseason go, match fitness etc.

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Contributor
Make them wear a fat suit and the No. 8 jersey so they can run around like Andrew Fifita and get away with those half-assed plays of the ball.
Punishment doesn't register. I remember one of the original Warriors, better not name him because he is a cop now I think. He was always late to training. They fined him continually to no avail. In the end they paid a minder to get him in on time.