mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
NRL: World All Stars team set to face Indigenous side
8:19 AM Thursday Nov 5, 2015
GettyImages-463347076_620x310.jpg

Greg Inglis and his Indigenous All Stars teammates perform an indigenous war dance before the NRL pre-season match against the NRL All Stars. Photo/Getty.

The NRL All Stars concept has been shaken up with a World All Stars team set to face the Indigenous side in next year's pre-season showpiece at Suncorp Stadium.

The new team is essentially the former NRL All Stars, but rebadged with a more global spin, as organisers attempt to fix the one problem that has dogged the popular representative fixture - finding a suitable opponent for the Indigenous All Stars.

The World All Stars team will feature a minimum of four NRL players each from Australia, New Zealand and England, while the captains of each of those teams will be automatic selections for the team, which will be coached by Wayne Bennett.

The remaining players will be made up from other nations, such as Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, PNG and France, pending availability.

At least one player, and a maximum of two players, will be selected from each NRL club.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg described it as a "subtle but significant" change which will encourage the World All Stars players to embrace their heritage and ensure they'll have as much to play for as their Indigenous counterparts.

"Even the best ideas can be improved over time," Greenberg said.

"We want every player on the field to be able to celebrate their heritage and we believe with some of these changes, every player will."

Former Gold Coast Titans great Preston Campbell, the architect of the All Stars concept, warmly endorsed the move.

"In the past, (only) the Indigenous side always felt like they had a link to the jersey," Campbell said.

"I think now with this World All Stars, players coming from different countries they'll feel like they've got a link to their heritage or culture."

Bennett also welcomed the change, albeit conceding it will make it even tougher for him to pick a side.

"We've had a bit of a look at it and we think we can make it work," he said. "We're not going to take players out of England, they're all in the NRL somewhere. They'll be NRL players. I think it's a great innovation."

The NRL All Stars clash is slated for February 13 and will be held at Suncorp Stadium, which hosted for the fixture for the first time back in 2013.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11540389

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
So the All Stars team will borow from the Barbarian idea they use in Union.

Dry Balls man...

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Fail to get exited about this game to be honest, I can get how the indigenous players/fans like it but the all stars team is such a plastic team it's hard to give a shit about them.

Reactions: Defence

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
Has Gould come out yet to say the game is a waste of time? Sorry that's right it's being broadcast by his employer, actually a great idea they should play 3 a year.
Of course not, it's a culturally sensitive topic. I'd rather an entire round dedicated to indigenous people than an exhibition game

Reactions: OMG

95 'til infinity

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 29, 2013
Brisbane,Aust.
I was a ball boy once during the Pacific cup.
NZ Maori v Norfolk Island at our Panther league grounds in Ngaruawahia.
Our local NZ Maori from Turangawaewae club Tahanga Raumati made his debut in that game.
Still remember a few of the NZ Maori team who cracked the NRL.
Richie Barnett, Sean Hoppe, Dave Watson, Jason Lowrie, John Lomax, Sid Eru, Jason Mackie.

Bring it back alright.

That would've been the '92 Pacific Cup was it?
Man there were guns in every side that played that year.Even after all these years that '92 Cup final is the best game I've ever watched live.

Reactions: Rotang and Weno

Rotang

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 13, 2015
Brisbane
It was a good concept for a year, but I agree that bring back the pacific cup, or better yet, develop the international calendar...

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
The all-stars have been scraping the barrel for years, but once the aborigines start pulling out given the cultural pressures, you know it's a dead format walking.

Reactions: matiunz

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Just need Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to pull out and I'll be happy...

65caf2bf-d945-41e1-b69b-b616f6e926c7.jpg

Mannering to miss All Stars match

Vodafone Warriors captain Simon Mannering is to miss next week’s Harvey Norman League All Stars match in Brisbane to support his partner following the birth of the couple’s second child last night.

As Kiwi captain, Mannering was an automatic original selection in the Wayne Bennett-coached World All Stars squad but withdrew from the side today after his partner Anna Bensemann delivered their second son.

“We’re all delighted for Simon and Anna,” said Vodafone Warriors managing director Jim Doyle.

“I know Simon was looking forward to playing for the All Stars but it’s far more important for him to stay at home to be with Anna at this time.”

The World All Stars face the Indigenous All Stars at Suncorp Stadium on February 13.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Wonder how long this game will last no one really seems to give a shit about it

Jordan G

Yes! One down, one to go.

Looking for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to pull up with a "minor complaint" after the Nines this weekend.

We'll still have to replace him with somebody though - I'm sure Wright/Ayshford are free.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I don't like being negative about these sorts of games as for instance domestically selected teams of Maori, Tongan, Samoa etc would give a boost for those cultures and will put forward new names if an appropriate competition could be arranged.

However, with all due respect to the Aussie indigenous team no one else seems to be taking this game seriously and I wonder where the value is for the Warriors to risk Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in this game. Lolohea appears to me to be a sufficiently high profile player to replace him.

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
To me it seems to come down to the politics of channel 9 v fox sports.

All the channel 9 commentators bag the nines as being pointless - which I can only assume is because fox sports have the broadcasting rights for it.

The all stars is on channel 9 so phil Gould and others will jump on that bandwagon as being great for the game.

Shame the actual star indigenous players like Thurston don't want to play in it..

Reactions: snake77

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings