General 2016 Grand Final Trip

warriors4eva

1st Grade Fringe
May 21, 2012
Hamilton
Looking at heading to my first Grand Final this end of this season. ( hopefully with the warriors )

Has anyone been on those organized trips,( williments or big boys trips etc ) if so are they any good. They sound good as everything is organized but are they value for money.

If not, anyone know of good accommodation close to where the GF is played.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Looking at heading to my first Grand Final this end of this season. ( hopefully with the warriors )

Has anyone been on those organized trips,( williments or big boys trips etc ) if so are they any good. They sound good as everything is organized but are they value for money.

Theres literally a Hotel across from ANZ at Homebush but I suspect they would charge fairly decent amount around gf day because of it, there are a few restaurants and bars in the precinct if that's your thing.
Best bet for cheaper accommodation would be somewhere in the city, trains are pretty frequent to ANZ (especially when there's an event on) and it only about a 30min trip or so

cro.warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 14, 2013
Sydney
Theres literally a Hotel across from ANZ at Homebush but I suspect they would charge fairly decent amount around gf day because of it, there are a few restaurants and bars in the precinct if that's your thing.
Best bet for cheaper accommodation would be somewhere in the city, trains are pretty frequent to ANZ (especially when there's an event on) and it only about a 30min trip or so
And public transport is free to Olympic Park if you have ticket for grand final game.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
If you want value for money book everything yourself man. Start checking accom places soon - also look at airbnb.com as usually you get to stay at cool places far cheaper than hotels. The further out from Oct you book accom the likely better prices. For best tickets wait until general allocation is released usually 1-2 weeks out from GF. Pre-allocation tickets are crappy and dont bother buying overpriced resold tickets.

Im in Syd CBD so if you need any further details or opinions of places feel free to private message me.

STEEDEN

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Auckland

I stayed at this place on Grand Final day mate, its really close to the stadium and I would stay there again. (Pullman Sydney Olympic Park)
The room wasn't the cheapest, but I did book very last minute and was the last room available in the area, so would pay to book as early as possible.

IMG_8588.JPG IMG_9117.JPG

Accommodations in the immediate vicinity are:

Novotel - www.novotelsydneyolympicpark.com.au/
Quest Apartments - www.questapartments.com.au/
Hotel Ibis - www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-2734-ibis-sydney-olympic-park/index.shtml
Ibis Budget Hotel - www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-6582-ibis-budget-sydney-olympic-park/index.shtml
Pullman - https://www.pullmansydneyolympicpark.com.au/

Last edited:

Rotang

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 13, 2015
Brisbane
Homebush stadium transport is rubbish. I went to see a team in blacks jerseys play a team in spew yellow jerseys, and they didn't even know the tackle count rule. It was raining and cold.

But i'll put all that aside when I go watch the warriors win the Grand Final this year! :snaphappy::)

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Homebush stadium transport is rubbish.
Why do you say that? Most people would disagree. Transport to ANZ Stadium is actually very good. Granted, you may need to take a stop at Lidcombe which can become overcrowded, but the quickness at how they are able to move people through the gates is quite impressive.

Personally i would avoid recommending anyone coming for the GF to stay near the stadium...there isnt much to do there within that precint. Far better off staying in the city, or near the beaches. If on a budget stay near Parra.

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 10, 2013
Tauranga
I did an organised trip to the last Winfield Cup GF in 1995 and have to say it was awesome.
We arranged our own hotel down in Darling Harbour as we wanted an upmarket hotel but went to all the functions, (breakfast with the Mad Butcher etc) which were at the Cross.
The best bit was that the seats for the GF were right on halfway. Nah sorry best bit was that Dogs beat Manly.

Reactions: tajhay

Rotang

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 13, 2015
Brisbane
Why do you say that? Most people would disagree. Transport to ANZ Stadium is actually very good. Granted, you may need to take a stop at Lidcombe which can become overcrowded, but the quickness at how they are able to move people through the gates is quite impressive.

Personally i would avoid recommending anyone coming for the GF to stay near the stadium...there isnt much to do there within that precint. Far better off staying in the city, or near the beaches. If on a budget stay near Parra.

ok, ok, was probably a bit harsh. Last time I was making the trip from Manly to the city, then to the game, and it was pissing with rain. The train to the game is good, but its a long way from the ground (probably planned that way). The getting home is the real problem, getting back to the train platform etc. I've been a couple of times to Homebush, and have never been 'wow that a easy/great trip' etc.

I've been to some awesome internationals grounds:
Wembley Stadium - Awesome, easy to get to, great atmosphere in and out of the ground.
Twickenham - Has a walk to get to, but such a great atmosphere as they close the streets off and pubs spill into the street.
The Stoop - Great venue for rugby league, up nice and close.
Heaps I can't remember.

Homebush is just not up there with great stadiums IMHO.
Of note though, Brookvale, Blacktown and Leichhardt are all awesome.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
ok, ok, was probably a bit harsh. Last time I was making the trip from Manly to the city, then to the game, and it was pissing with rain. The train to the game is good, but its a long way from the ground (probably planned that way). The getting home is the real problem, getting back to the train platform etc. I've been a couple of times to Homebush, and have never been 'wow that a easy/great trip' etc.

I've been to some awesome internationals grounds:
Wembley Stadium - Awesome, easy to get to, great atmosphere in and out of the ground.
Twickenham - Has a walk to get to, but such a great atmosphere as they close the streets off and pubs spill into the street.
The Stoop - Great venue for rugby league, up nice and close.
Heaps I can't remember.

Homebush is just not up there with great stadiums IMHO.
Of note though, Brookvale, Blacktown and Leichhardt are all awesome.

You got off at Olympic Park stop and not Homebush stop right? :p stations only like a 5 min walk to the stadium.

Agree it can be a pain in the arse getting trains back from the sold out games(smaller games are pretty painless) but they move 80,000 people pretty efficiently, secret is to bolt right at the final whistle and try and get on one of the first trains lol.

Rotang

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 13, 2015
Brisbane
You got off at Olympic Park stop and not Homebush stop right? :p stations only like a 5 min walk to the stadium.

Agree it can be a pain in the arse getting trains back from the sold out games(smaller games are pretty painless) but they move 80,000 people pretty efficiently, secret is to bolt right at the final whistle and try and get on one of the first trains lol.
Right, now I remember. I've been twice on the train, twice in a car and parked. Getting to the game by train is good. Parking and walking was too far, and getting the shuttle bus is a pain. The biggest problem is yes, getting home, that's a nightmare either way.

I never leave straight away. ;) Homebush would be better if the pubs and restaurants nearby were better.

So my advice for warriors4eva is take the train and stay in the city. There's a couple of good cheap pubs and hostels across the road from central station, and the pub has a 24 hour licence. Much cheaper than an organised tour group, but you may want it all organised for you.

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
I lived in Newington from 2006-2011 and went to five consecutive GFs from 06-10. It was an easy 20 minute walk to ANZ... Of course we moved home in 2011 when the warriors made it and I missed that one...

I'd recommend what tajhay tajhay is saying, there is nothing exciting to do there in the Olympic Park Precinct. Better off staying in the city and taking the train (can be some lively banter too), or even at Parra and coming in from that side (some of the hotels at Rosehill, e.g. Rydges, put on shuttle bus or full bus transport to the game as well - which is a good option). But the city would be my recommendation. Trains are pretty easy there.

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
I've been on a Williments tour (Which I won from the Warriors) and been to a couple where I have booked my own travel.

The tour was quite cool if you are looking at a no stress, every thing laid on trip where you can get boozed on a boat ride to the game with like minded league fans (Most of the Warriors coaching and management was on this trip in 2010)
I found the seats you get are quite poor though. And the cost is probably 3 x what you would pay planning the trip yourself.

I prefer booking my own flights, accom (mates house) and game tickets. I'd recommend booking your tickets when the first presage becomes available.
Same with flights - they're probably quite cheap right now.
Train to the game is super easy and free with your match ticket. Getting out can take quite awhile as some many people travel by train so the lines are quite big. (Manly fans were being right arseholes in the queues in 2011 too).
The food vendors around the ground before and after the game are pretty awesome. I'd recommend eating there before or after. The atmosphere is superb.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland

They do, very much Wounded Bulls material. Sydney Olympic Park seems to have been neatly designed so once you're in one of their hotels (all part of the Accor chain), there's either eating at one of the hotel restuarants or McDs/Subway type stuff.

There's a restaurant in the Pullman Hotel that does a 3 course meal after the game. It's not that good (usual "high class" restaurant issue of "interesting menu meets lousy/average cooking" and it's not even lunch size it's snack size and it's stupidly expensive for what it is.

They do decorate the hotels with the GF team colours and hold an all-day buffet type thing but, again, overpriced.

Get a hotel in Darling Harbour, get a train to the game, which your GF Ticket pays for as Juju says. Greater atmosphere than walking over from SOP.

Last point, although I think it applies to most hotel chains: Ask for a certain type of spirit (rum, whisky etc) and you'll often get the house spirit which they don't even tell you! I know Bundaberg rum when it's placed before me and it's shite.

Reactions: tajhay and Jay M

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
Yeah don't stay at Homebush, it sucks, frankly. Its surrounded by office/warehouse suburbs (Silverwater, Rhodes etc), which really don't have anything for travellers. The best places to stay are the city, particularly around Circular Quay or Darling Harbour, or at a beach side suburb like Bronte or Coogee or Bondi. Perhaps even Manly, because I'm guessing you could get on the Manly ferry to Circular Quay and take the rivercat down to Homebush (haven't done it myself, but I think you can).

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings