Rumour 2015 Warriors Salary Cap Breach Rumour

Great so we have a crap team now & are going to be over the cap net year, What more can go wrong with this club. & it's not a salary cap when sides like the roosters can sign 700k in 3rd party deals over the cap. The vultures pay nothing to the clubs they steal the best talent from, there needs to be a transfer system where clubs get money for the players they develop. Look at the players the roosters take every year from other clubs because they effectively have more money thru 3rd party deals. If we are over it shows you we will never win the comp because we need to pay to much for average players.
Transfers won't work either. They need a hard cap, not giving benefits for long service or junior development. A hard cap which includes TPDs so that all clubs spend the same amount on their rosters otherwise what is the point of having a cap?

Far Away Fan

I laugh at some people still complaining about the Cowboys situation. They were operating WITHIN the rules. The rules are pretty clear. I would argue the Roosters are most likely to be one of the clubs operating UNDER the salary cap. The cap rules are made for them. Third party deals allow them to not have to resort to cheating. No need for a brown paper bag if your payments are completely legal nowadays.
Are people really upset the club offloaded Stacey Jones after the Price/Wiki fiasco? I wasn't and I loved Stacey. He was just getting past his best at that time and that is exactly when you should move someone on under a hard-capped league - club legend or not. Vatuvei would be in this category now and there's no way I would have given him another deal. No disrespect to him but better value for money out there.
So long as Matulino, Mannering and Johnson aren't offloaded then I don't see a problem. I would move Manu or Hurrell before I looked at risking Hoffman or Lillyman - heck the pack is already in the bottom half as it is without losing one of their cornerstones.

I'd really hate to see Lillyman offloaded. He's a stalwart of the team, plays to a very high standard, is rarely injured. I'd guess that with Friendy going, losing Lillyman would leave Hoffman feeling more than a bit isolated. Older Aussies in the side.

It seems very weird that this whole thing is going on. I mean, we shell out big bucks on one player, Issac Luke. In monetary terms, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck getting what Tomkins has. And as a result we find that we need to shed half of our team regulars? What The fuck is happening? Isn't this truly abysmal management?

We've just had a run of games in which with key players down our team has turned into a disaster. I know that Doyle inherited some baggage, such as our still having to pay a large part of Mateo's salary, but with us offloading still more, we face the possibility of having to pay part of the salaries of other players even when they've gone. Our depth is being wiped out and we're paying for it, in more ways than one.

I laugh at some people still complaining about the Cowboys situation. They were operating WITHIN the rules. The rules are pretty clear. I would argue the Roosters are most likely to be one of the clubs operating UNDER the salary cap. The cap rules are made for them. Third party deals allow them to not have to resort to cheating. No need for a brown paper bag if your payments are completely legal nowadays.
Are people really upset the club offloaded Stacey Jones after the Price/Wiki fiasco? I wasn't and I loved Stacey. He was just getting past his best at that time and that is exactly when you should move someone on under a hard-capped league - club legend or not. Vatuvei would be in this category now and there's no way I would have given him another deal. No disrespect to him but better value for money out there.
So long as Matulino, Mannering and Johnson aren't offloaded then I don't see a problem. I would move Manu or Hurrell before I looked at risking Hoffman or Lillyman - heck the pack is already in the bottom half as it is without losing one of their cornerstones.

Center has been the problem for year. Its unpopular but i'd wouldn't have resigned Manu purely on what i believe he's on 5-6k. They need to let the young guys take the less important wing spots & signed a class centre. Lets face it, it's not a new problem. They need to start making the tuff decisions.

You don't HAVE to pay for players you offload. It purely depends on what each party negotiates.
Doyle wouldn't have expected a cap rise as they were set in stone until the end of the next tv deal i think.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
You don't HAVE to pay for players you offload. It purely depends on what each party negotiates.
Doyle wouldn't have expected a cap rise as they were set in stone until the end of the next tv deal i think.
Definitely set in stone and no one person in the world would be more aware of that than Jim Doyle himself...

2013 - $5.85 m
2014 - $6.3m
2015 - $6.55m
2016 - $6.8m
2017 - $7m

If this is the case. My opinion is that this clean out is purely due to the NRL shaking up the EELS. Stinks of, fuck, shits going down, better clean out quick before we get done for the last few years.

Like mt.wellington mt.wellington mentioned a key part of the Warriors response is the word realign. When Doyle first arrived he said he's seen how other clubs make use of the cap and he'd look at using some of those ideas. Basically taking advantage of his previous position at NRL HQ.

Some of it could be making better use of the second tier cap. Some of it could be how much we are paying in certain positions.

You can either do a cleanout slowly and rebuild for a couple of years or do it quickly. If you do it quickly chances are while your sorting our releasing players and getting new talent in at some point you will be sailing close to the limit. This is probably the point we are at now.

I've said the last few seasons when we've missed the finals or discussing recruitment we need to refresh our squad after missing the finals. I hate the rebuilding phases other clubs go through but we really need to do this even if it means some favourites are on the way out. When that's first announced that will be hard to take but we need to do something.

I heard a few months ago that we could have salary cap issues. Related to currency translation of Warriors player salaries which are in NZ$ back to a salary cap figure that is in A$. I heard that if the NZ$ had stayed close to parity then we were at risk of breaching because NZ$ based salaries were suddenly worth more when translated back to A$. Now that we're back at around 90c to the A$ I assume that risk has reduced although my understanding is that a 5 year rolling average FX rate is used so we could potentially still have some issues. Apologies for talking financials however I reckon this could be where the trouble stems from.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I heard a few months ago that we could have salary cap issues. Related to currency translation of Warriors player salaries which are in NZ$ back to a salary cap figure that is in A$. I heard that if the NZ$ had stayed close to parity then we were at risk of breaching because NZ$ based salaries were suddenly worth more when translated back to A$. Now that we're back at around 90c to the A$ I assume that risk has reduced although my understanding is that a 5 year rolling average FX rate is used so we could potentially still have some issues. Apologies for talking financials however I reckon this could be where the trouble stems from.
I remember Wayne Scurrah talking about something like that at a members forum. Being a humble stonemason it went completely over my head. What did catch my attention was that he stated that because of the currency exchange value the Warriors were actually some $100,000 worse off than the Australian teams...

I remember Wayne Scurrah talking about something like that at a members forum. Being a humble stonemason it went completely over my head. What did catch my attention was that he stated that because of the currency exchange value the Warriors were actually some $100,000 worse off than the Australian teams...

And now that our economy is crashing cause of the global fall in dairy prices it looks like most players on our team will be better off being paid in milk tokens. Seriously though guys can somebody please tell me this salary cap breach isn't because someone couldn't convert 6.55 Million Australian dollars into New Zealand dollars properly. That would be so us ... :(

We may have previously hedged the FX and it's expired.

Not the best time to be re-negotiating foreign exchange while the rates are in a spiral.

Interesting though, I would have thought the FX difference between Oz and us would be taken into account for the overall cap?

I reckon the safest way is to pay all our players in Australian dollars and let them worry about converting it...

We'd maybe get a free pass on this current situation if we made that change to our system for next year...

The cap is measured in Australian dollars and the contracts are registered in Australian dollars. The exchange rate should be irrelevant (except for when negotiating new contracts as players will take into consideration the exchange rates). It can't possibly be an issue due to that. Scurrah would have been talking about a favourable exchange rate being a draw card etc but i would highly doubt Simon Mannering has a contract in NZ dollars.

The cap is measured in Australian dollars and the contracts are registered in Australian dollars. The exchange rate should be irrelevant (except for when negotiating new contracts as players will take into consideration the exchange rates). It can't possibly be an issue due to that. Scurrah would have been talking about a favourable exchange rate being a draw card etc but i would highly doubt Simon Mannering has a contract in NZ dollars.
Well what I heard it definitely is an issue. As I said it's all based off a 5 year rolling average FX rate. I know you are media and so think you know the answer to everything already, however you don't.

Well what I heard it definitely is an issue. As I said it's all based off a 5 year rolling average FX rate. I know you are media and so think you know the answer to everything already, however you don't.
I'm not sure how my being "media" has anything to do with it. I have an opinion like you - not better or worse. I'm just another footy fan who is prepared to express an opinion.
I'm not claiming to know everything either but I'm not on here spouting rubbish either - i just rang a player agent, who has players currently on the Warriors books. Those contracts are signed in AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS and the players deal with the exchange rate themselves. They can gain or lose depending on what happens with the NZ dollar. Many choose to be paid into Australian bank accounts and make decisions about when to change the money into NZ dollars like anyone one else playing the exchange rate game.
That considered, the only way the NZ exchange rate affects the Warriors is when it comes to signing a player not after the contact is signed.

Reactions: mt.wellington