Gameday < 2021 2015 Warriors Offseason/Preseason Thread

All games pre 2021

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Did Sione play reserve team at all in the trial?

And any word on what's up with Bull?? Be strange for him to be playing reserve grade - surely it's not disciplinary?
Sione Lousi started for the First Grade team at lock.

Jacob Lillyman is playing top side. Its Suaia Matagi who has made way for Sam Lisone and will play NSW Cup. Not sure why? Will try to get some intel...

Reactions: 1 user

Danpatmac

Jacob Lillyman is playing top side. Its Suaia Matagi who has made way for Sam Lisone and will play NSW Cup. Not sure why? Will try to get some intel...

Cheers mate.

Sounds like the young fella is going in at the deep end doesn't it?

off to adapt my supercoach team

Cheers mate.

Sounds like the young fella is going in at the deep end doesn't it?

off to adapt my supercoach team
i am kind of a fan of the sink or swim scenario. i think it really tests someone out if they can rise for the occasion. also if they fail it can show what sort of resolve they can have to fight back from it. it just reveals alot about character imo

Reactions: 2 users

Danpatmac

Matagi out ? So will Lousi play Prop or are we carrying 3 Props and playing Lillyman 60minutes again ?

Much prefer to carry 4 Props.

I'm not even sure Lousi makes the 17 does he?

If MT.W is correct and Vete and Lisone are to make their debuts, Matulino and Lillyman will be the senior props and a backrow crew of Mannering, Hoffman, Thompson and Henry… where do Lousi and Ikahihifo fit in?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
i am kind of a fan of the sink or swim scenario. i think it really tests someone out if they can rise for the occasion. also if they fail it can show what sort of resolve they can have to fight back from it. it just reveals alot about character imo
Likewise. Same thing happened with Ben Matulino, Sonny Fai and Russell Packer. If either Sam Lisone or Albert Vete have the goods they will show it. Cream always raises to the top.

Im not expecting 1000 metres, 50 tackles, 25 offloads and 12 linebreaks all topped off with a hat trick. Just good solid hitups with error free carries. Solid dominant defence. Basic basics done well. In all likelyhood either player may only get 20-25 minutes but they need to use that time to empty the tanks with a high workload. Something along the lines of Charlie Gubbs debut against the Rabbitohs in Perth in 2013.

Going to be a huge learning curve for them and even after 20 minutes they will be blowing hard.

If either debut I wish them well during this milestone.

And for fucks sake dont pop a low percentage offload!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

I meant did Sione transfer over to the reserve team at any point during the trial?

Just wondering as the more time he spent in the FG side, the moe likely he would be a lock for round one.

Guess it's more or less irrelevant now with all these injuries haha.

Interesting news about Suaia though... I was always concerned that the guy simply just didn't have the motor to be a FGer, perhaps the preseason exposed it more fully - at least, I doubt it would be an attitude thing that Cappy would be concerned with.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Interesting news about Suaia though... I was always concerned that the guy simply just didn't have the motor to be a FGer, perhaps the preseason exposed it more fully - at least, I doubt it would be an attitude thing that Cappy would be concerned with.
Wont go into specifics but its got nothing to do with his motor. He's seen as having all the necessary physical attributes to make a fist of things. The club have invested in his future as a result.

With Sam Rapira doing his hammy and Charlie Gubb having a broken toe we are short on props and now would be the perfect time for Suaia Matagi to step. What he's done is serious enough that he will remain in Reserve Grade despite the team desperately needing his experience. Thats why Sam Lisone and even Albert Vete have leapfrogged him...

Danpatmac

Wont go into specifics but its got nothing to do with his motor. He's seen as having all the necessary physical attributes to make a fist of things. The club have invested in his future as a result.

With Sam Rapira doing his hammy and Charlie Gubb having a broken toe we are short on props and now would be the perfect time for Suaia Matagi to step. What he's done is serious enough that he will remain in Reserve Grade despite the team desperately needing his experience. Thats why Sam Lisone and even Albert Vete have leapfrogged him...

Wow…

The mind boggles

on nrl 360 paul kent said something interesting about cappy. he mentioned he was a great coach and hes a bit of an educator( not exact words).

Hmmm...

Well, that's surprising. I have no idea what you're alluding to, but it obviously seems disciplinary - which is pretty disheartening, given his path to the NRL... You'd think he'd value it more than to find himself in his current situation.

I understand the rationale behind that. What about Sione Lousi? I thought he was fantastic late last year, do they not see him as a prop?

Good article in the Herald this morning on the head trainer and the boys fitness.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11412488

Some quotes below. All areas the Warriors have been accussed of lacking in the past.

"We've got a goal this year to improve our last quarter of the match," Cupples explained. "We've upped our running volume along and are just trying to really nail the basics, the 10 per centers of performance, in terms of running, recovery, nutrition, and sleep.

"We've really spoken about being that 24-hour athlete and being professional in everything they do."

"At key times in NRL games it is a grind and the grind can go for eight to 10 minutes of set for set and the team that can deal with that the best normally comes out on top. Hopefully we see the benefits of that over the next five to 10 weeks."

We have heard all of the talk over the off season and like all teams at this time of the year it's been positive. From this weekend until October we can see if we have turned things around.

Reactions: 2 users